Next Up: How do I get the Florida CCL after I have the IL CCL?

Robert4960

There's a couple posts if you search. I know I made one at one point with links. It's pretty simple.

Things you need:

1) Copy of your training cert

2) A passport style photo

3) Request finger print cards from the link above. I requested 4 in case they didn't like my first set I could quickly send more.

3a) Go to police department and get Inked. Do at least 2 cards. I went to niles because it's close to my work. They were like $25 there I think, and will do it for anyone.

4) Fill out their paper work

5) Send all the above with a check ($80?)

6) Wait 30 days and get your card.

I just got mine, took 30 days from the time they received it till the time they approved it. You can check online. I did not need extra finger prints so I have extra cards. I do not need them but not sure if they are linked to my tracking number. If they aren't you can have them.

Please pardon my ignorance, just wanted to clarify this. So the 16hr training for my Illinois CCW is sufficient enough for Florida CCW permit as long as the instructor is NRA certified? How about for Utah? I was planning to take a class for both Utah and Florida CCW. I appreciate any information I may get from you all. Thank you in advance.

Please pardon my ignorance, just wanted to clarify this. So the 16hr training for my Illinois CCW is sufficient enough for Florida CCW permit as long as the instructor is NRA certified? How about for Utah? I was planning to take a class for both Utah and Florida CCW. I appreciate any information I may get from you all. Thank you in advance.

Utah requires a special class by a Utah certified instructor.

Florida will accept ANY NRA class. All of what they require and more is covered by the 16 hour Illinois training. Talk to your instructor.

I have seen reputable places that do a class that satisfies FL and UT. Sorry I can't direct you to one.

Florida will accept ANY NRA class. All of what they require and more is covered by the 16 hour Illinois training. Talk to your instructor.

I have seen reputable places that do a class that satisfies FL and UT. Sorry I can't direct you to one.

Wow....soundguy ..you're starting to morph into a conservative. Have you noticed this yourself? :rofl:

Wow....soundguy ..you're starting to morph into a conservative. Have you noticed this yourself? :rofl:

I even carried in a Whole Foods today and chatted with the over-pierced cheese guy! Couldn't see a no guns thingy anywhere.

Guns exist in the best space between the two worlds... This is our common ground. And BBQ. And whisky. And some other stuff...

Thank you so much for the information. I can do Florida for now knowing I have satisfied one of their requirements already.

Just FYI

Check your community for prints, mine does it for free for residents!

Also check surrounding towns, if you tell them what it's for, again you might get it done for free if they have time.

And your County Sheriff. Cards are easier to get free/cheap than LiveScan, thanks to the Department of Professional Regulation Renumeration...

My UTAH card was up for renewal this month here December 2016 but I have the Illinois CCL card, but did not get the Florida one. My point here is, it may be a giant waste of money getting the Utah and Florida permits when with Trump in office now, they LIKELY are going to work on legislation to make your one state card legal anywhere, like your driver's license, this said it makes sense for me to hold off instead, it's crazy to pay these states $$$ when the ONE we got here in Illinois, the most expensive state card, makes ZERO sense to flush money down a drain for other states, my say is WAIT because they already are currently drafting up some new legislation on this, will be coming soon after Trump gets in.

• 3 weeks later...

Make sure your training cert has the instructor's NRA number. IIRC, the FL law requires that the instructor be credentialed by a nationally recognized organization. Had that issue come up with a student. Putting the instructor's NRA number on the cert fixed it.

What do I do if I can't get a hold of my instructor to get his NRA ID number??

Heck most won't tell you this because they want to sell you a class, but the free hunter safety class DNR puts on will qualify you for a FL license

True dat. Does not have to be an NRA certified instructor. See bullet point #5 in the first section. All FCCL instructors are certified by the state.

From the FL concealed weapons website:

Florida law requires you to submit proof of competency with a firearm in order to qualify for a concealed weapon license. A copy of a CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION or similar document from any of the following courses or classes is acceptable:

• Any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency in another state;
  • Any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
  • Any firearm safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
  • Any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
  • Any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association.

The copy of the training certificate/document must be clear and legible and must include:

• Your name,
  • Your instructor's name,
  • Your instructor's qualifications/credentials (National Rifle Association instructor, law enforcement firearms instructor, Class "K" Firearm Instructor licensed by the State of Florida, etc.), and
  • Your instructor's license/certification number.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from 2 weeks in FL. Glad I had my FL CCL. I always forget how weird the news is down there. A lot of robberies down there involving guns make the news. I only saw one CPZ- and that was the main entrance to one of the malls in Naples. The anchor stores were not. None of the other stores, bars, restaurants, etc that we visited were posted.

Just got back from 2 weeks in FL. Glad I had my FL CCL. I always forget how weird the news is down there. A lot of robberies down there involving guns make the news. I only saw one CPZ- and that was the main entrance to one of the malls in Naples. The anchor stores were not. None of the other stores, bars, restaurants, etc that we visited were posted.

. Nice!!!

As others here have said, Florida is covered by the same training you took for Illinois, provided the instructor is an NRA instructor (most are) and includes his NRA instructor number on the certificate (he can just write his NRA instructor number along with his signature). Utah requires training specific to the state provided by an instructor certified by a state agency. I am one of several Utah instructors on this board, located in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago. If that location is convenient for you, and if you would like to discuss doing the Utah training, feel free to drop me a pm.

Archived