Training/Learning Point

Spizz

An interesting situation happened to me today that could be used as a learning point for someone or a class or just to make you think. I noticed a disheveled male walking around a local grocery store strip parking lot with a gas can. He seemed out of place to me, especially with 2 gas stations across the street. I was walking to my car when I noticed him and immediately became suspicious. Right away I looked around to see if he was with someone else but I did not notice anyone. I got in my vehicle and kept an eye on him and my surroundings. He approached my vehicle rather quickly, walking in front of my car, and came to the window, which was up, and my doors were locked. While keeping my focus on both him and my surroundings I pulled out and contacted the police to come check things out.

A number of things happened that allowed me to maintain focus. The amount of training I’ve had that repeatedly told me always be aware of my surroundings, especially keeping one’s head out of their phone these days, looking for another person he may be with, and finding a way out of a potentially bad situation without ending up in a hospital and/or courtroom. While nothing may have happened if I offered assistance, I took the route that guaranteed it. It made me think about how many people just walk off to their cars after the store, looking at their phones, loading groceries, and putting the kids in the car and may not pay attention to their surroundings. Again, could have just been a guy that needed some gas or something worse. Just thought I’d share.

Great job on all accounts Spizz. Awareness is MORE important than carrying a firearm. The biggest key to self-defens, as you mentioned, is to AVOID CONFLICT. If you can't avoid, evade. If you can't evade, diffuse. If you can't diffuse, make sure you're scanning for cover as well as looking for an accomplice. Listen to your spidey senses....and don't feel obligated to help pan handlers. Sorry if I sound un-compassionate, but from my experience, the majority of pan handlers are drug users or just scammers. When I have spoken to those asking for my "extra change" or "extra money", I genuinely tell them that I'll meet them the next morning and help them look for employment. None have ever been interested.

- chip

I think the rest of the story is that since he avoided the situation, he got to go home.
Although he went the extra step of contacting law enforcement, I wouldn't expect them to call him back with any outcome.

These are the good stories that happen everyday. No conflict, no incident, no bloodshed...because the intended victim was AWARE.

The reason we never hear these stories is because they're usually incomplete. They don't have an exciting ending, and that means the media will never report these stories.

- chip

Haha that's it for my story, although I've been wondering all day if LE responded and told him to get lost or helped him find the gas station across the street. Who knows, maybe I'll call them later if I remember. I don't think it's cold, after hearing stories of "pan handlers" stabbing and robbing I have no desire to come close enough to find out what they want.

Sadly the first thing I thought of was this:

Man Ignites Gasoline Inside A Bus In Madison

April 20, 1998

A man boarded a Madison, Wis., city bus, poured gasoline and then lit it on fire, seriously burning himself and five others as the driver swerved to a stop and fled along with the screaming passengers.

Four people, including the driver, were hospitalized in critical condition Monday after escaping from the bus about 6:30 p.m. Sunday. The two others, including the 20-year-old suspect, were in serious condition.

The suspect, identified as Salim Amara, was described by a relative as psychologically troubled...

Good job being aware of what could have been a bad situation.

Conspicuous situational awareness is a good way to avoid unpleasant encounters. Most trouble makers are looking for people who aren't paying attention to their surroundings. When I'm in public, especially in what I consider a dangerous area, my head is on a swivel and I'm watching everything and everyone in the vicinity.

Archived