Do you just not go to posted locations, or do you speak up?

vito

Big chains are likely unmovable.

I saw a local Dunkin Donuts had posted. I offered a lengthy commentary when I completed the receipt survey:

Besides the fact that my coffee was much weaker than normal, when I entered the establishment I noticed a sign hung on the inside window prohibiting law abiding citizens from carrying firearms. This disturbed me. As a law enforcement officer and firearms instructor I can say that I have never encountered a criminal using a gun to commit a crime suddenly stop because a "no guns" sign was posted. That sign does not mean "no guns" to everyone, under the law it only applies to those who underwent 16 hours of training, 5 background checks and paid $150 to obtain a license to defend themselves. The criminals will gladly walk right past it, and I cannot in good conscience continue to patronize such a location, not can I suggest it to my co-workers or friends, especially when there are 2 other locations within a 5 minute drive, none of which have engaged in such behavior."

I went by a few weeks later and the sign was down.

I have to wonder how may places post the ISP signage thinking it prohibits all guns, or unlicensed firearms instead of only applying to FCCL holders?

Well-said, short and sweet.

Big chains are likely unmovable.

I saw a local Dunkin Donuts had posted. I offered a lengthy commentary when I completed the receipt survey:

Besides the fact that my coffee was much weaker than normal, when I entered the establishment I noticed a sign hung on the inside window prohibiting law abiding citizens from carrying firearms. This disturbed me. As a law enforcement officer and firearms instructor I can say that I have never encountered a criminal using a gun to commit a crime suddenly stop because a "no guns" sign was posted. That sign does not mean "no guns" to everyone, under the law it only applies to those who underwent 16 hours of training, 5 background checks and paid $150 to obtain a license to defend themselves. The criminals will gladly walk right past it, and I cannot in good conscience continue to patronize such a location, not can I suggest it to my co-workers or friends, especially when there are 2 other locations within a 5 minute drive, none of which have engaged in such behavior."

I have to wonder how may places post the ISP signage thinking it prohibits all guns, or unlicensed firearms instead of only applying to FCCL holders?

I just explained this to my father today. He was completely shocked. He had no idea that it's only a "no concealed carry" sign.

I just explained this to my father today. He was completely shocked. He had no idea that it's only a "no concealed carry" sign.

If only unlicensed, criminal carriers were vampires and the ISP sign was a giant, glowing cross, maybe it would work that way.

However, anti-gunners equate legal owners and carriers with illegal owners and carriers. It's heartening to read in previous posts that at least some people are amenable to reason.

There is a Taco Burrito King near my place of employment that was posted for a while when I first saw the sign I called and sent emails to the manager. I never received a response. I and a few others I work with stopped going there. A few months went by and the signs came down. There was never a response or mention of a reason the signs were removed. Like it never happened. ?

We both sent messages to TBK corporate and there was no response.

When I took my CCL training at Maxon (less than 1/2 mile away), I mentioned their sign before the Saturday lunch break (and mentioned a more friendly business). The instructor was surprised by the posting. Within a week (or two) of the class, the "no Berettas" sign was gone.

The same thing happened at a local chain grocer. Their first placement was at the top left corner of the inner movable door that, when open, was not "conspicuous". The manager was a gun owner and didn't like it but corporate said to do it. I also made sure he knew that none of the other grocers were posted.

The next week, the sign was moved to chest high on the stationary panel between the outer doors (conspicuous) and I reminded the mgr. about the other stores.

A week later, no sign. When I congratulated the mgr., he said corporate realized that their other stores (Missouri and a couple of others) had not had any problems with CC in their areas. So the signs came down. :clap:

Use it as a chance to educate people. This was an exchange that I had in March when signs went up at my local Great Clips probably in response to the recent anti-gun hysteria. I first sent an e-mail through the corporate web site and recieved these responses from the local owner:

I am the owner of the Great Clips at our Carillon Great Clips salon (476 North Weber). Thanks for your feedback about our no gun. I appreciate your feedback and think you make some good points. We are doing some reassessing about these signs. Its going to take us a bit so please be patient as we review this. I plan to get back to you once we come to a decision.

4 weeks later:

I wanted to again thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding the no gun sign. We have reassessed this issue and have now taken down the no gun signs.

Thanks again for your feedback!

What did your email say? Your communication was effective ,I think that is what is important. What did you say to make a conversation VS an argument.

March 8, 2018

Recently, after the school shooting in Parkland, FL, I noticed that a “no gun” sign was placed on the door of your 476 N Weber Rd., Romeoville, IL, location that I frequent.

The only effect this sign has is to prohibit law abiding, Concealed Carry License holders from protecting themselves, their families, and potentially innocent bystanders from just such an occurrence or other acts of violence. These signs are mistakenly thought by some to create a “gun-free zone” but in reality only create what is known as a “soft target.” Criminals and those inspired to do evil acts are not deterred by any law, let alone a sign on a door. Any place that displays this sign prohibiting concealed carry only advertises to those intent on mass killing or other violent acts that they will face no resistance to their plans. In every mass shooting that has occurred, we have seen that police response time is not sufficient to prevent mass casualties and that nearly all of these shootings occur in “gun-free zones.”

As a Concealed Carry License holder I have met the Illinois requirements for firearm and legal training and have passed a background check free of felonies, acts of domestic violence, mental illness, and drug addiction. Can you say that about all of your customers? Concealed Carry License holders are not a part of a gun violence problem but are a part of a solution.

If this is a parent company decision, I hope that you will reconsider. If it is left up to the franchisee, please pass this along to them.

I and my fellow NRA and ISRA members will not support businesses that mistakenly believe they can prevent violence from occurring by placing a sign on their door. For more information on the fallacy of “gun-free zones” please visit www.nra.org and www.isra.org .

A lot of people think that. Had to explain it to my previous boss a number of times.Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Use it as a chance to educate people. This was an exchange that I had in March when signs went up at my local Great Clips probably in response to the recent anti-gun hysteria. I first sent an e-mail through the corporate web site and recieved these responses from the local owner:

I am the owner of the Great Clips at our Carillon Great Clips salon (476 North Weber). Thanks for your feedback about our no gun. I appreciate your feedback and think you make some good points. We are doing some reassessing about these signs. Its going to take us a bit so please be patient as we review this. I plan to get back to you once we come to a decision.

4 weeks later:

I wanted to again thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding the no gun sign. We have reassessed this issue and have now taken down the no gun signs.

Thanks again for your feedback!

What did your email say? Your communication was effective ,I think that is what is important. What did you say to make a conversation VS an argument.

March 8, 2018

Recently, after the school shooting in Parkland, FL, I noticed that a “no gun” sign was placed on the door of your 476 N Weber Rd., Romeoville, IL, location that I frequent.

The only effect this sign has is to prohibit law abiding, Concealed Carry License holders from protecting themselves, their families, and potentially innocent bystanders from just such an occurrence or other acts of violence. These signs are mistakenly thought by some to create a “gun-free zone” but in reality only create what is known as a “soft target.” Criminals and those inspired to do evil acts are not deterred by any law, let alone a sign on a door. Any place that displays this sign prohibiting concealed carry only advertises to those intent on mass killing or other violent acts that they will face no resistance to their plans. In every mass shooting that has occurred, we have seen that police response time is not sufficient to prevent mass casualties and that nearly all of these shootings occur in “gun-free zones.”

As a Concealed Carry License holder I have met the Illinois requirements for firearm and legal training and have passed a background check free of felonies, acts of domestic violence, mental illness, and drug addiction. Can you say that about all of your customers? Concealed Carry License holders are not a part of a gun violence problem but are a part of a solution.

If this is a parent company decision, I hope that you will reconsider. If it is left up to the franchisee, please pass this along to them.

I and my fellow NRA and ISRA members will not support businesses that mistakenly believe they can prevent violence from occurring by placing a sign on their door. For more information on the fallacy of “gun-free zones” please visit www.nra.org and www.isra.org .

Thanks for posting this. I think it is an excellent approach. I also realize that I generally believe that the folks that post a as anti gun as those we see on the news every day. I guess I have been over generalizing.

Boycotting alone is mostly meaningless. If you don't speak up the business doesn't know they are losing business and doesn't know why they are losing business.

And if you think "concealed means concealed" and you are giving these businesses your money, you are hurting the cause, not helping.

I always have a chat with the manager or owner if a business is posted voluntarily. I have had both success and failure, and agree that local small businesses or franchise-owned businesses are better at responding to customer feedback then large corporations. (But even for large corporations, it's worth leaving a "no guns, no money" card with the manager.) I've also found that the "Posted! app" comment adds interest; they realize it's not just me, but everyone who looks at the app whose business they are losing. I've had a couple saying "we've removed the sign; please take us off the app", and one who even sent a picture of their door to prove it. ;)

I have had both success (~25%) and failure (~75%), and I'm sure will continue to have both. But it's worth trying every time. A business might ignore the first 4 people who bring up the sign and that the store is losing their business, but may reconsider when they hear the same thing 5 times. It's very common for a business to make a change if several customers bring it up. We must keep trying, every time!

I also agree that you get more with honey than with vinegar. It's always helpful to be polite, professional, and respectful in these conversations.

I used to shop at Whole Foods.

When they posted I talked the manager and expressed my opinion about the "No Guns" sign. His answer was Corporate Police nothing he could do.

Since then I have found alternate sources of organic stuff some better and cheaper then Whole Foods.

Do NOT miss Whole Foods.

But as many have said here you cannot boycott every business that posts. So sometimes I eat crow.

A local banker buddy switched banks due to a large promotion and asked me to stop in and open an account there. When I pulled in, there was a 'Soft Target' sign on the door. When I called him about it, he stated he was told by corporate that it was required. I copied and pasted the statute directly from the ILGA site, and went to a bank 20 miles away that has a GREEN CIRCLE WITH NO SLASH AROUND A GUN SIGN. Yep, guns welcome there. ;-)

Thankfully,I've only had to give out a couple of the cards shown below.

At least one of those times I'm certain it helped.

Had to leave my truck at the dealer once, shortly after CC passed here. As they went to pull it into the shop I informed the Service Manager I had to retrieve something from the vehicle first. As I walked to the truck, he asked if it was a gun. Before I could get anything out he said, Sorry... owner and I were just discussing CC today and we're both going to get our licenses.

Didn't say anything but, by then I didn't have much of a poker face... he smiled and said they're totally fine with law abiding folks being able to carry.

Respectfully,

If it is posted, I do not give them my money nor put myself in a position where I cannot defend myself and family.

I send an email explaining why I will not do business with them. Steak and Shake in Effingham is not posted so we stop there on our way to visiting my in-laws. Would prefer not having to make that trip at all, but to keep the peace we go once a year.

• 4 weeks later...

Thankfully,I've only had to give out a couple of the cards shown below.

At least one of those times I'm certain it helped.

Had to leave my truck at the dealer once, shortly after CC passed here. As they went to pull it into the shop I informed the Service Manager I had to retrieve something from the vehicle first. As I walked to the truck, he asked if it was a gun. Before I could get anything out he said, Sorry... owner and I were just discussing CC today and we're both going to get our licenses.

Didn't say anything but, by then I didn't have much of a poker face... he smiled and said they're totally fine with law abiding folks being able to carry.

Respectfully,

Automatic,

Do you have a larger version of those cards in your signature? They are perfect.

• 3 weeks later...

Giordano's posted in both Oakbrook Terrace and Glen Ellyn and told me the 'corporate policy' line but I noticed the Giordano's in Indianapolis wasn't posted.

I suspect that often when you hear 'corporate policy' what they're really saying is 'I don't want to deal with your drama'.

Westchester Giordano's is NOT posted as of this weekend

Archived