Simple Math on Fix FOID nonsense...

wig

I may have my math wrong here, so please correct as appropriate. But reading the language proposed, $15 of the $50 fee is going to be allocated to enforcement of revocation. The whole crux of what is supposedly going to "fix" all this.

Doing the math of two million FOID holders (assuming we lose about 200k from the last number I found of 2.2 million FOID holders and for round numbers) at $50 each per year - also $10 per year...

2,000,000 fees collected times $10 per year - $20,000,0000

$15 of 50 is 30% so $6,000,000 is going to be allocated annually, STATEWIDE, to the revocation officers and their resources.

Assuming their gear, transportation, misc. is free and their salary with benefits and overhead is rounded off to $100k per person, that's a total of 60 officers to patrol the entire state.

This also makes the assumption that the funds don't leak into other needs of the department, as have the FOID funds in the past and also this fund is for the ISP. Does not filter down to a local PD.

Of course I am totally ignoring all the glaring issues with this - but in reading the trib nonsense about revocations it got me thinking... how does this funding propose to solve this issue. Now that I did the math, I call total BS.

Again, my math may be off - but then again, this whole thing stinks.

Archived