Friend looking for inexpensive reliable 9mm

TRJ

My review of the Taurus Millennium G2 PT111 in a nutshell is that the best thing about it is its price. Everything after that is just "OK". I don't shoot mine a lot, but so far - I've never had a failure.

From reading the Taurus forum I think there are way too many instances of sights falling off and the RSA breaking, but that hasn't happened to me, but then again, my Taurus Millennium G2 PT111 sits in a backpack most of the time and hardly ever gets to the range. Also, those problems are thngs that Taurus can fix, its not a case where you send your gun to Taurus, they can't figure out what is wrong so they send it back to you still not working. They're able to put on new sights and throw in a new RSA. If you lose peace of mind over the reliability of the factory RSA you can buy an after-market one with a steel rod and the after-market RSA is reliable from all that I've read.

You can also get fiber optics sights for the Taurus Millennium G2 PT111 and they stay put once they're installed.

You can get Sig P226 Mec-Gar mags for it, including their 20-rounder:

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/forum/uploads/monthly_06_2018/post-3474-0-21492300-1528566945.jpg

I've read reviews of the new G2C from Taurus owners who also have the older G2 PT111 and they say the new G2C has a slightly better trigger than the G2 PT111 and that the gun shoots more accurately. I've seen the blued version of the G2C going for $186.99 - shipped. The stainless steel version can be had for $197.99 - shipped, and I think it is worth it to get the stainless slide. Like everything else on the gun, the finish is mediocre at best, so spending an extra 11 bucks to minimize rust issues is worth it. They still put a blued carbon-steel extractor in the stainless version, but - oh well...

post-3474-0-21492300-1528566945_thumb.jpg

My review of the Taurus Millennium G2 PT111 in a nutshell is that the best thing about it is its price. Everything after that is just "OK". I don't shoot mine a lot, but so far - I've never had a failure.
From reading the Taurus forum I think there are way too many instances of sights falling off and the RSA breaking, but that hasn't happened to me, but then again, my Taurus Millennium G2 PT111 sits in a backpack most of the time and hardly ever gets to the range. Also, those problems are thngs that Taurus can fix, its not a case where you send your gun to Taurus, they can't figure out what is wrong so they send it back to you still not working. They're able to put on new sights and throw in a new RSA. If you lose peace of mind over the reliability of the factory RSA you can buy an after-market one with a steel rod and the after-market RSA is reliable from all that I've read.
You can also get fiber optics sights for the Taurus Millennium G2 PT111 and they stay put once they're installed.
http://www.illinoiscarry.com/forum/uploads/monthly_06_2018/post-3474-0-21492300-1528566945.jpg
I've read reviews of the new G2C from Taurus owners who also have the older G2 PT111 and they say the new G2C has a slightly better trigger than the G2 PT111 and that the gun shoots more accurately. I've seen the blued version of the G2C going for $186.99 - shipped. The stainless steel version can be had for $197.99 - shipped, and I think it is worth it to get the stainless slide. Like everything else on the gun, the finish is mediocre at best, so spending an extra 11 bucks to minimize rust issues is worth it. They still put a blued carbon-steel extractor in the stainless version, but - oh well...

I concur with the above. Great value for the money. I'm not crazy about the trigger pull, but you get what you pay for. I would add that the gun is quite light, so don't limp wrist it. The only jams I've had with it (2) were from careless limp-wristing.

I concur with the above. Great value for the money. I'm not crazy about the trigger pull, but you get what you pay for. I would add that the gun is quite light, so don't limp wrist it. The only jams I've had with it (2) were from careless limp-wristing.
For what it is, the PT111 G2/G2C is a good deal. The size is somewhat of a tweener between something like the Shield and something the size of a Glock 19. Capacity is right between those two ends as well.

My experience with the PT 111 was good. I bought one intending to use it for carry. It is definitely good for that purpose, I just decided I wanted something thinner and just couldn't get used to the trigger. So, I sold it to my father-in-law who absolutely loves it and bought the Shield that I currently EDC.

Now, on the not-so-good side, my best friend bought one after trading in his Canik TP9 SA because he wanted something easier to carry and liked mine when he shot it while I still owned it. First time out to the range, after one mag the slide got stuck and wouldn't go fully into battery. Both the range owner and I tried everything to get it apart, but without it being able to go into battery we couldn't get it apart. So, my friend had to send it in to Taurus. Got it back about 6 months later, which sucked because it was his only handgun. I think it was something with the guide rod but don't remember for sure. Now, he's debating whether he trusts it enough to use it or if he wants to sell it.

So, it's a good deal for the price but does come with some QC risk and the possibility of dealing with Taurus CS.

Cleaning out the striker channel improves the trigger. There is a video tutorial on the Taurus forum for improving the trigger - mostly a fluff and buff job, but unless someone is a Taurus fan I wouldn't expect the average person to hassle with it. There is also a stainless steel striker guide that improves the trigger quite a bit:

https://lakelinellc.com/shop/stainless-steel-striker-guide-for-the-taurus-pt111-g2-pt140-g2-709-and-740/

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/millennium-pro-pistols/170697-pt111-g2-trigger-talk.html

The story about it not going into battery sounds like the RSA broke. That's a tough one because the slide has to go forward to come off but a broken guide rod is jammed in there sideways - you've got a real problem on your hands.

Cleaning the firing pin channel fixed my light strike problem on my LC9 when I first got it. The stuff that came out on the Q-tip was worse that what comes out of my ears. But it solved the problem that nobody else on the internet was able to figure out. They tried everything from chamfering the firing pin hole to replacing the slide. If you have a small gun with a light strike problem, clean the channel. It's probably full of cosmoline from the factory.

The story about it not going into battery sounds like the RSA broke. That's a tough one because the slide has to go forward to come off but a broken guide rod is jammed in there sideways - you've got a real problem on your hands.

Thats probably what it was. I've liked all 3 Tauruses (Tauri?) that I've owned but only have one left. The first two were a PT-92 and the PT-111 I mentioned. The only one I currently have is a Model 65 revolver that was given to me by my uncle, it's what my grandfather carried when he worked armored cars. So, unlike the other two that one isn't going anywhere any time soon.

I say that to say, I have no ill will against Taurus and generally like their guns especially for the price.

Archived