Can I still get my FOID and CCL card?

trueblu8

If you've been convicted of a felony, that might give you trouble.

Form for requesting an appeal

Note the bottom part of the above form:

"Please Note: Pursuant to 430 ILCS 65/10 (a), you must appeal to the circuit court in your county of residence, not to the ISP, if your FOID card was denied or revoked for any of the following reasons: forcible felony, stalking, aggravated stalking, domestic battery, any violation of the Illinois Controlled Substances Act, the Methamphetamine Control and Community Protection Act, or the Cannabis Control Act that is classified as a Class 2 or greater felony, any felony violation of Article 24 of the Criminal Code of 1961 or the Criminal Code of 2012, or any adjudication as a delinquent minor for the commission of an offense that if committed by an adult would be a felony."

I have talked to an attorney about this and she said getting the governor to grant me clemency is the only way. She also said it would run me about $5500.

Ok, I suppose you have the answer then.... I'm not an attorney. Her answer would most likely trump anything we might tell you.
I was thinking the same thing the OP has a lawyer and he is asking us. :no:

Been there, done that!

Just because she is a lawyer does not mean she is an expert on gun rights. From my experience there are a lot of lawyers that are lost when it comes to gun rights. I asked my estate attorney about setting up a gun trust and he did not have a clue how to do it.

I have helped someone with a felony drug conviction get their FOID and CCL and it cost them less than an extra $10 above the cost of the FOID and CCL. The first requirement is a minimum of 20 years since the conviction, then apply for FOID and follow the instructions the ISP sends you. My free advice is: Wait 2 more years then apply, it may save you $5500.

"getting the governor to grant me clemency" Really, she must be some lawyer if she could pull that off.

Been there, done that!

Just because she is a lawyer does not mean she is an expert on gun rights. From my experience there are a lot of lawyers that are lost when it comes to gun rights. I asked my estate attorney about setting up a gun trust and he did not have a clue how to do it.

I have helped someone with a felony drug conviction get their FOID and CCL and it cost them less than an extra $10 above the cost of the FOID and CCL. The first requirement is a minimum of 20 years since the conviction, then apply for FOID and follow the instructions the ISP sends you. My free advice is: Wait 2 more years then apply, it may save you $5500.

"getting the governor to grant me clemency" Really, she must be some lawyer if she could pull that off.

Sounds like good advice!

Agreed! When I had a case where they took my guns away, my lawyer (which is listed on here as a firearm defense lawyer) was clueless as to whether or not I would get my right to own or even my guns back! I don't know whether its because the laws are written so loosely or they just don't learn about it in the schools that are typically anti gun anything.

Been there, done that!

Archived