Found my new carry piece

Trevis

So, I went to one of my other local shops that I hadn't had the chance to shop yet. Asked about smaller 9's, and browsed around. Eventually the guy pulled a Sig P290 out of the case. I liked the feel, the action, the look... He pulled the case out, and come to find out it comes with a holster, a nice case, and a laser! All for a super reasonable price! Looks like this is going to be a good replacement for my Hi Point C9!

The owb holster is a pos. No retention on some and I've heard of others that don't let go at all unless you pull slow and straight.

I've also heard plenty of folks complain about the laser. I guess the owb holster pushes the button and kills the battery. Also, internals are perhaps not up to handling the shock of the gun, read reviews...lots of complaints about the laser.

If you get it and don't use the laser but want a nice iwb holster hit up Bobapunk. He made mine and it's perfect.

It's a nice firearm, and Sig has a good warranty.

The laser is made by Sig and is SIGnificantly brighter than most others. I much prefer the Sig laser over any other with the exception of green lasers.

Make sure the 290 is an RS (P290RS) which makes it a Gen 2 model. The Gen 1 models had a severe problem with light strikes and the only way to fire the weapon was to clear it and hope the second round would go off. The RS stands for re-strike and that's what it allows the shooter to do, squeeze the trigger again on the same round.

The Sig holster is actually made by Fobus and it is definitely tier 3 or quality. It is a nice add on but virtually worthless.

The assembly and the disassembly of the P290 is challenging. The recoil spring is robust and getting the dayum thing apart and then reassembled gets challenging. There are a number of YouTube videos trying to show a better way to get them apart and back together after cleaning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfQm72eSokk

The P290 is marked down significantly because Sig Sauer is trying to move into the polymer world and thus far has not had a lot of success. They recently introduced the P290RS in .380 caliber and in hopes of attracting more women buyers. The smaller caliber also helps the assembly/disassembly problem because of the reduced power of the .380 recoil spring

Well, I went to the range on lunch and put 70 or so rounds of Perfecta through it. One malfunction, and it was the ammo. The primer didn't touch off, even after a multi strike. Other than that, everything worked flawlessly. I'm not a great shot with it, as I tended low and to the right. I think I'm getting too deep on the trigger, but I will be practicing more. It'll do just fine for a carry piece, though!

Archived