Ezell v Chicago - New info

RacerDave6

License to own? Assuming you meant carry because you don't have to "qualify" for FOID.

After the SCOTUS ruling in McDonald v. Chicago, the city enacted an ordinance the required handgun owners to take a five hour class, including live-fire at a range, in order to get a Handgun License in Chicago. Rhonda Ezell sued the city because it was illogical and irrational to REQUIRE range training in order possess a handgun in the city, but BAN RANGES in the city at the same time.

IIRC that "license " was the reason Otis went all the way to SCOTUS before he could OWN a handgun.

Before Mr. McDonald (rest his soul) won his case at the Supreme Court, everyone in Chicago was prevented from owning a handgun (legally) in Chicago unless you had a rare, grandfathered registered handgun. They stopped registering new handguns in the 1980s.

Now that Otis is in a better place not many will ever know about the WHY and the threats he endured in order to win that case.

Enjoy your rest Otis and I enjoyed our many hours of great memories spent on the bus rides to Springfield.

What threats did he encounter? I wasn't aware of the background of his story.

Now that Otis is in a better place not many will ever know about the WHY and the threats he endured in order to win that case.

Enjoy your rest Otis and I enjoyed our many hours of great memories spent on the bus rides to Springfield.

What threats did he encounter? I wasn't aware of the background of his story.

He stood against the machine. I could only imagine the kind of threats he endured!

• 2 months later...

"Your witnesses didn't seem to have any evidence."

So same as the previous hearing? And a lot of "umms" and "ahhs"?

Wow, I'm only about 1/4 of the way through, and that Chicago attorney is having a *really* hard time defending the law.

"One person." "One range without a gun store." "You're experts don't say that!"

Can someone identify who the various voices are? I assume the other woman is one of the judges, and the man with the more gravelly voice as well.

• 1 month later...

Believe it's the original panel hearing the appeal (over and over). Senior Judge Kanne, Circuit Judges Rovner and Sykes. Kanne sounds like he's on his death bed, except that he's still extremely sharp. Rovner is....older while Sykes is youngest Judge on the panel (and on conservative short lists for SCOTUS).

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived