SE Cupp: Calls for gun control, drops NRA membership

InterestedBystander

full story at link... (also at CNN)

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/nicholas-fondacaro/2019/08/11/hysterics-se-cupp-demands-emotions-over-constitution-and-gun

...CNN host S.E. Cupp used to be a conservative voice of reason on a network filled with gun control leftists who could barely tell the difference between a handgun and a water gun. But the corrupting influence of CNN was potent and during her Saturday edition of Unfiltered, Cupp demanded that America (or, the United States of Hate as she dubbed it) throw out reason and the Constitution in favor of emotion and hysterics.

At the top of the program, she praised how Democrats have offered a wide array of radical and invasive gun control laws from universal background checks and raising the minimum age requirements, to suing gun manufacturers and banning assault-style weapons. As for the GOP, she chided them as not being as overtly sincere and serious as the left.

What followed was a sort of repentance for her previous support for gun rights, saying she believed it was true at the time:

Now, for years, as you might know, I've gone on television and made the case for the second amendment, the right to bear arms. I've pointed out that criminals don't follow gun laws and I've defended the NRA and its members, law-abiding gun owners, like me, who have nothing to do with mass shootings or violent gun crimes. I've done that because I am a gun owner and a gun rights' advocate, and I believed it was true.

But I am no longer an NRA member. Being right no longer feels righteous she declared as she started to make the emotional argument for striping gun rights. We must do something about guns! We have a problem in this country and that problem is hate....

..."I know I will be accused of letting my emotions get in the way of facts here. I've made that accusation before. But this is an emotional issue. How could it not be, she bemoaned. In fact, it should be more emotional. And to my friends in the Republican Party, at the NRA on the side of gun rights, if you're not emotional about this, join me, won't you? Let's start with emotion....

Her original essay is here.

People with the kind of hate in their hearts as the El Paso and Dayton shooters, the Sutherland Springs and Charleston church shooters, the Las Vegas and San Bernardino shooters -- they're not going to be cured of their hate by taking away their guns.

Where to begin? How about passing universal background checks, instituting violence restraining orders, raising the age of gun purchases to 21, banning 100-round drums, fixing our National Instant Criminal Background Check System and investing in mental health inside our schools? These things cannot wait.

Hmm, none of the things she say we should do would have stopped or slowed down "the El Paso and Dayton shooters, the Sutherland Springs and Charleston church shooters, the Las Vegas and San Bernardino shooters." They were all over 21, had bought their guns legally, passed their background checks, and were not mentally ill.

Posted · Hidden by mauserme, August 12, 2019 at 04:57 PM - No reason given
Hidden by mauserme, August 12, 2019 at 04:57 PM - No reason given

Could it be due to the ever falling CNN ratings and viewership that she got a raise or a new contract to do this? Possible!

It would have held more water if she had made the emotional option of having her guns, (ALL OF THEM) there for a law enforcement to take charge for destruction!

Now that would bring in a few dozen click to CNN online site!

I believe that most gun owners are emotionally involved in these crazy times we are in the middle of.

We want to be protected, we haven’t blasted a cap into anything yet, ( for the most of us) other than a paper target to stay safe and proficient.

If the Democrats, the Left, or what ever the feel good name is today was serious and needed to make a statement, then make this one!

Turn in you guns in mass and use the moment as a feel good event as you do with all the criminals who are killing people.

Have you many body guards with you, have them disarm and send them on their way. As no guns will need be had for a safe America!

Course I’d like to poll those who are security guards, body guards and see how many of them would actually be willing to hand over their guns? Uh, maybe none!

Don’t do as I say, do as I do for I will lead you.

Something the Democrats et’al haven’t done yet.

Rant off, sorry to waste some of your time......

Archived