Newt returned his NRA Presidential Survey

Sigma

Good answers, but I didn't expect any less from the Newt.

If I thought gun rights were the only issue of merit in this election, I MIGHT consider Newt.(Because after all what is a piece of paper to the potus?) If Newt wins (the presidency) I'm not really sure where we go from there. Maybe the Democrats will wake up after that and put a real candidate in the race, lol.

:whistle:

In the last election campaign I saw Romney, during an interview, say he believes in 2A (any pol outside of Crook county will say that) but he doesn't believe citizens should be allowed to own "assault rifles". He lost me there.

thats the point of the survey, everyone will say the are a supporter of the 2A even Obama will say that. But these questions are kinda worded to let even an anti know how to answer. They should be more broad and open ended. What I don't get is how Newt always obtained a good rating from the NRA when he supported the Clinton AWB

Romney wont respond Im sure. But its public knowledge that he said those guns are used for killing.

If memory serves me correct, Newt sheparded a repeal of the clinton gun ban through the house as Speaker. It died in the Senate.

As to #14. GOA is on the fringe. most americans see no problem with a check to see if someone is prohibited. And yes we have seen they could be used to collect information. but neither the Illinois or the federal system asks for make, model and serial number.

The FOID is a registration system of sorts, of gun owners, but not our guns.

We have the law implace to see that NICS records are destroyed. That is what we can expect. Attempting to go to a pre-1994 sysytem of no checks, just a 4473 and self certifying is not gonna happen. Not to mention, would give our opponets a lot to make hay with.

I love his answer for #2. All it would take is a stroke of the Presidents' pen to repeal the 1989 'Assault Weapon' Import Ban. Even though G.W. let the '94 Ban sunset (Todd you are right, Newt did get the repeal bill passed in the House but it died in the Senate), I knew he wouldn't lift the Import Ban because his old man put it into effect.

Hopefully who ever the next Republican President is, they will lift the ban. Groups like the NRA and even just the average gun owner will have to make some noise to ensure this gets done.

I think the primary will have a huge impact on the 2012 Presidential election just like it did in Illinois for Governor. I like a number of things about Newt and dislike a bunch about Romney... Actually, I'm not too keen on any of the GOP candidates at this point - especially Romney; but I do think it is increasingly likely that Romney offers the best possibility of beating Obama. I don't think Newt will be able to capture enough of the female or independent vote in the general election and would thus give Obama a second term. I don't want Obama to have a second term.

The FOID is a registration system of sorts, of gun owners, but not our guns.

But the ISP does have a record of every handgun and long gun sold in IL. The IL background information is never purged like the federal NICS check.

If I bought it in IL, the ISP knows how many handguns and long guns I own. They don't know the make, model, or serial number, but they know how many.

• 1 month later...

#3 is misleading, the US is not a signatory to the arms trade treaty, because there is no arms trade treaty. all there is now is a verbal agreement to work on drafting a treaty

#14 is ok to me, i think banning felons from owning firearms is generally a good thing, but pointless without a means to check, and as long as the system simply doesnt keep track of requests

also, coincidently, he signed and dated it on my birthday

I oppose any sort of background check and barring felons from guns. If you are such a terrible evil person and should have your rights taken away you shouldn't be let out. If you are let out you are free period.

how about people on parole or probation? they are out but not completely "free" yet

i guess you could say they should stay in until they complete the sentence

I oppose any sort of background check and barring felons from guns. If you are such a terrible evil person and should have your rights taken away you shouldn't be let out. If you are let out you are free period.

how about people on parole or probation? they are out but not completely "free" yet

i guess you could say they should stay in until they complete the sentence

If your free your free

Archived