Plate carrier size and recommendations

bcook619

Im looking to pick up my first plate carrier. Had a bit of a fright the other night and wish I had had it.

Questions:

Im 6'7 and 250lbs should I go with 11 X 14 plates?

What level plates do I need for SHTF type situation? 3? 3+?

Should I get something I can toss on quick or full cummberbund with side plates

As a side note, I actually ran a manufacturing plant for this stuff several years ago but have never owned. ( Ran Eagle Industries in Fenton, Mo) (wish I would have got a set while I was there!)

You stated you had a fright the other night.

Based on that experience, would you need to throw it on quickly or would you have had the time to put on a full cummerbund with side plates that might take longer?

The one I have in my SUV is a quick throw on one figuring that things have went sideways quickly.

Police in my town shut down the store my son manages and told them to lock up and leave because of a credible riot/looting threat. I went up and sat in the parking lot while his employees and he got out. Sitting in my car I was like dang, I wish I had more than a carhart jacket on right now. Plus, it took me longer than it should to grab the required "gear" and hit the road.

Im torn between the quick release since they do not appear as comfortable to wear but would be easy to have ready to grab in a pinch.

The better the rating, the heavier the armor. Level 3 will stop up to 308. If you are going with steel, make sure to get a coating on it. They're multi-hit rated but spall protection is important and without it, even if the plate stops the round it will fragment in line with the plate. The coating is meant to soak up the spall.

When you find a size that works for you, make sure you wear it properly positioned. Google the anatomy of the human chest. The goal is to cover the important bits front and back. Too many people wear their armor improperly.

Archived