Safariland ALS 1911 Commander holster, and tiny thumbs

brianj - now in Kansas

So I bought a Safariland ALS 1911 holster for a 1911 Commander (their model 6378). I love the holster itself: it's well made, lined with "SafariSuede" internally (whatever that is) to protect the sidearm, and rides well.

However, there's a problem.

The retention mechanism on the holster (which was why I bought it) requires that you release the sidearm by moving a thumb lever (present between the holster and the body) back and down. This lever is about 1/4" too short for me to actuate reliably. I called Safariland to see if there were options for the short-thumbed, but was told that they don't have any swap-in parts that will help.

So, I guess the question is: have any of you run into this problem before? If you have, did you solve it, and if you DID solve it, how? I could send it back and get a GLS holster, but the GLS holsters are generic, bulkier, and ride lower.

Thanks,

Bri

Gents, don't know how/where you found that, but that appears to be exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you both very much!

Bri

Google...your friend and your enemy ;-)

Reviews are positive. One review indicated the designer had part of his thumb shot off in the Battle of Fallujah. Not being able to consistently activate the ALS release, he made the Nub Mod to accommodate for his injury.

Gents, don't know how/where you found that, but that appears to be exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you both very much!

Bri

Google...your friend and your enemy ;-)

Reviews are positive. One review indicated the designer had part of his thumb shot off in the Battle of Fallujah. Not being able to consistently activate the ALS release, he made the Nub Mod to accommodate for his injury.

My Google-fu is usually pretty good, but I couldn’t even come up with decent search terms.

I’ve always enjoyed shooting, but I guess my hands are just two sigmas too small to expect mass-market stuff to work that well for me.

Bri

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just in case this comes up in searches or there are people out there dying from suspense, desperate to hear how the story turned out.

The Nub Mod I ordered came in yesterday. For those that are wondering, it is, indeed, All That. Not only did it lengthen the release lever enough for me to release my 1911 more effectively, it also modified the angle on top of the button to make it easier for the thumb to engage.

10/10 would lock holster with it again.

Bri

Archived