Safariland ALS 1911 Commander holster, and tiny thumbs

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 brianj - now in Kansas

Political refugee from the People's Republic of IL

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:36 AM

So I bought a Safariland ALS 1911 holster for a 1911 Commander (their model 6378).  I love the holster itself: it's well made, lined with "SafariSuede" internally (whatever that is) to protect the sidearm, and rides well.

However, there's a problem.

The retention mechanism on the holster (which was why I bought it) requires that you release the sidearm by moving a thumb lever (present between the holster and the body) back and down.  This lever is about 1/4" too short for me to actuate reliably.  I called Safariland to see if there were options for the short-thumbed, but was told that they don't have any swap-in parts that will help.

So, I guess the question is: have any of you run into this problem before? If you have, did you solve it, and if you DID solve it, how?  I could send it back and get a GLS holster, but the GLS holsters are generic, bulkier, and ride lower.

Thanks,

Bri

"Your father's 1911..  Not as random or clumsy as a Glock.  A more elegant weapon for a more civilized age." -- Obi Wan Kenobi

#2 InterestedBystander

• Supporting Members Team
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:24 AM

Never used one, but something like this?

https://store.otdefe...ts/1911-nub-mod

Looks to be wider but fits on top of existing so might give enough extra height?
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
🇺🇸 "Remember in November" 🗳️
Rauner, Harold, Dodge, 46th HD:Kinzler, 8th CD:Diganvker, 55th HD:Smolenski, 91st HD:Unes

#3 Helpdesk9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:37 AM

Never used one, but something like this?
https://store.otdefe...ts/1911-nub-mod
Looks to be wider but fits on top of existing so might give enough extra height?

I was just about to post this

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#4 brianj - now in Kansas

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:13 PM

Gents, don't know how/where you found that, but that appears to be exactly what I'm looking for.  Thank you both very much!

Bri

"Your father's 1911..  Not as random or clumsy as a Glock.  A more elegant weapon for a more civilized age." -- Obi Wan Kenobi

#5 InterestedBystander

• 5,197 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:22 PM

Gents, don't know how/where you found that, but that appears to be exactly what I'm looking for.  Thank you both very much!

Bri

Google...your friend and your enemy ;-)

Reviews are positive. One review indicated the designer had part of his thumb shot off in the Battle of Fallujah. Not being able to consistently activate the ALS release, he made the Nub Mod to accommodate for his injury.

Edited by InterestedBystander, 12 January 2018 - 02:57 PM.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
Rauner, Harold, Dodge, 46th HD:Kinzler, 8th CD:Diganvker, 55th HD:Smolenski, 91st HD:Unes

#6 Helpdesk9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:22 PM

Bri

Watched a GarandThumb video last night

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#7 brianj - now in Kansas

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:18 AM

I’ve had the opportunity to “enjoy” Garand thumb. My old VFW post had some M-1s we used for graveside salutes, and I didn’t get my thumb out quick enough the first time I loaded one. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#8 brianj - now in Kansas

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:22 AM

Bri
Google...your friend and your enemy ;-)
Reviews are positive. One review indicated the designer had part of his thumb shot off in the Battle of Fallujah. Not being able to consistently activate the ALS release, he made the Nub Mod to accommodate for his injury.

My Google-fu is usually pretty good, but I couldn’t even come up with decent search terms.

I’ve always enjoyed shooting, but I guess my hands are just two sigmas too small to expect mass-market stuff to work that well for me.

Bri

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#9 brianj - now in Kansas

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:51 PM

Just in case this comes up in searches or there are people out there dying from suspense, desperate to hear how the story turned out.

The Nub Mod I ordered came in yesterday.  For those that are wondering, it is, indeed, All That.  Not only did it lengthen the release lever enough for me to release my 1911 more effectively, it also modified the angle on top of the button to make it easier for the thumb to engage.

10/10 would lock holster with it again.

Bri

#10 InterestedBystander

• 5,197 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:15 PM

Cool, glad it worked out. Always hate ordering something unknown in spite of decent reviews.
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users