Official HB-433 thread UPDATE # 3

Tvandermyde

More press on the issue

Make those calls. . . .

http://www.guns.com/2015/02/09/legal-firearms-suppressors-could-soon-be-allowed-in-illinois/

I will use this post for posting updates and info. So look at the header in the thread to note chages.

Adding some info here today, expect another update later today.

** Update 2 **

Ok so the bill got assigned to the Criminal Committee. Not where we wanted it to go. Stil waiting on figuring out the "game" for this session. I'll post more later. But it's just the first month of session.

The bill will NOT be up next week as there is a 7 day posting requirement.

Keep the faith.

** UPDATE 3 **

Attached is a handout SilencerCO has provided us. It is posted here in a PDF we will be handing them out as we continue our educational efforts.

Keep the calls and emails rolling in.

post-1876-0-88633500-1423835954_thumb.jpg

Silencers Are Legal Brochure.pdf

email I sent to Harmon and Willis (both lost causes IMO):

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Support for HB0433, use of suppressors in hunting,

While I feel this is a lost cause with you, I am STILL writing to express my support of the bill..

CONTRARY to the myths presented by Hollywood, these are not "devices of evil intent".
AT LEAST read the neutral Wikipedia entry to shed your blinders:
plaintext of link for copy and paste: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suppressor

In FACT, In Europe, in some outdoor ranges they are REQUIRED, and are just good manners.
They're regarded as as "cheap pieces of tin", not some mythological talisman of evil.

The controls are already in place, as Title II "NFA" items:
a BATFE background check
(which takes ~ 6 months!! QUITE a waiting period!!)
with photos and fingerprints IS REQUIRED,
as well as paying a $200 TAX IN ADVANCE PER DEVICE.
Transfer of device STILL requires the background check and another $200 tax stamp.
This inherently means getting both the permission of the Attorney General of the
United States as well as an EXPLICIT registration of each device to an individual.

THIRTY EIGHT (nine?) states allow these specific NFA devices currently.

WHY have them:
1. good neighbor relations - don't startle a wide ranging area during hunting season
2. hearing loss from that wide ranging noise, being just FEET from it's source.
hearing loss is endemic among both hunters and military.

There have been ATTEMPTS to mitigate ear damage, such as bulky earmuffs, inadequate
in ear ear plugs, and even noise canceling headphones to TRY to allow the wearer to adequately
interact with the local environment.

It just makes common sense that this burst of pressure be tamed at the source, not deal with
it's effects at the ears of everyone nearby. That STILL leaves the supersonic crack of the ammunition
traveling through the air, and I feel safe in saying that pistol ammunition is mainly supersonic and
ALL hunting ammunition is FAR supersonic...

We do not tolerate the unrestrained pressure bursts generated by the exhaust of internal combustion
engines, we REQUIRE mufflers to mitigate this, for the common good.

It's time Illinois's irrational stance on this common sense issue be modified, to allow the NFA licensed
and permitted devices to be used by the upstanding citizens of this state, UPSTANDING AS PROVEN BY
A BACKGROUND CHECK EVEN MORE STRINGENT THAN DONE FOR AN ILLINOIS FCCL.

As for criminal misuse? Hanging an extension upon a firearm, making it LARGER???
The penalties under the National Firearms Act are severe: (quoting wikipedia)

Federal law provides severe penalties for crimes of violence committed using firearms
equipped with silencers: a minimum prison sentence of 30 years.

A silencer is a NFA Title II weapon, and the unlawful possession is a felony garnering up to 10 years in a Federal prison,
and as an additional GOTCHA: (As per wikipedia (again) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_II_weapons)

The legal term silencer (more technically known as a "suppressor"), defines as "any device for silencing,
muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts ... intended
for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer."
Which would include the possession of one or each baffle of an unassembled silencer
as an a separate violation of the NFA.

A pretty high bar to hurdle for anyone, then add Illinois's blunt refusal? Unacceptable.

your constituent:

(blah blah woof woof)

You may add on to this but maybe this shorter version might work, if markthesignguy allows some use of his letter.

Subject of email: Support for HB0433, use of suppressors in hunting.

Dear Rep. ? (Name)

I'm reaching out to you in hope that you will support HB0433. While many people believe suppressors make a gun completely silent to the human ear, that is not the case as in James Bond movies. They reduce the sound emitted from a firearm to safer levels for the shooter and those around the shooter. In hopes of your support I've provided a short list of factual points about suppressors below.

Suppressors:

* Reduce the emitted report of a gun shot to safer levels for the human ear while still wearing air protection.

* Protect against long term hearing loss and further hearing damage.

* Are entered into a registry with the ATF and have an applicable $200 federal tax.

* DO NOT completely silence a gun shot like in the movies.

* Are safe and polite to other hunters as to not disturb them from hunting.

* Have strict federal rules to follow and if used in crime's are punishable by up to 30 years minimum at the federal level.

It's time Illinois's irrational stance on this common sense issue be modified, to allow the NFA licensed
and permitted devices to be used by the upstanding citizens of this state, UPSTANDING AS PROVEN BY
A BACKGROUND CHECK EVEN MORE STRINGENT THAN DONE FOR AN ILLINOIS FCCL.

Best regards, (?)

That post was to prime the pump, and yes, it was long, have at it my friends :cool:

It is exactly what I sent to Kathleen Willis (D, R-77th) and Don Harmon (D, S-39th) this morning.

It is in the Rules Committee:

Chairperson : Barbara Flynn Currie (D)
Republican Spokesperson : Ed Sullivan ®
Member: Lou Lang (D)
Member: David R. Leitch ®
Member: Frank J. Mautino (D)

along with over a thousand other bills (lot are shells )

FYI, (not that I know anything about what's going to be covered)

Hearing Scheduled for Feb 13, 2015
Chairperson Barbara Currie
Republican Spokesperson Ed Sullivan
Scheduled Date: Feb 13, 2015 10:15AM
Location: Speakers Conference Room Michael A. Bilandic Building
Chicago, IL
Posting Date: Feb 06, 2015 10:06AM
Subject Matter: SUBJECT MATTER: Matters pending before the House Rules committee.
Clerk of the House Timothy D. Mapes

Is it really a good idea to start out by telling your legislator that you already have negative expectations from them?

With MY legislators, absolutely yes. But if they get their ears bent enough about it, they might take notice.

Believe me, for them, that was a mild letter from me. There's a REASON I show F- ratings for both of them.

The nicest thing I can say about Don Harmon is that at least he will look you straight in the eye as he slips the shiv into your ribs, instead of smiling and than backstabbing you. That's why I don't talk much about deposing Cullerton in the Senate, the next guy in line is Harmon, and he probably is worse.

This is my quick email to my representative. A phone call will be made as well:

Dear Rep. Durkin,

As a responsible firearms owner and concerned constituent, I urge you to support HB433 which would allow law abiding Illinois firearms owners to possess and use National Firearms Act approved sound suppressors on their guns.

Due to a long career in the construction industry and extensive exposure to loud equipment, I have experienced significant hearing loss. Limiting additional exposure to potential damaging noise would be beneficial to me.

Sound suppressors are legal in all but 11 states in this country. There’s no reason Illinois shouldn’t recognize the beneficial use of sound suppressors by responsible gun owners.

Thank You,

Todd V.

Do you think we can get the suppressor industry to help us lobby? The ASA and SilencerCo seem to be very open about legalizing these nationwide.

SilencerCo new #FightTheNoise rally is picking up. It would be in their interest to help us.

they are helping. I'm in touch with them regularly

To help speed things up, I am hosting a private email list for updates feel free to drop me an email if you wish to be added. NOT A PM, AN EMAIL.

We will post updates here on IC as we get them. You can slo keep eyes on IL-Gunlobby on facebook for updates too

ok first post is out. If you didn't get it, let me know so I can see if I overlooked your email.

somethings for you guys to use. If your on FB, use the one pic for either a profile pic or a cover photo. We could use to gin up the social media on thses things.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.silencerco/press/SilencerCo-Infographic.gif

Todd

post-1876-0-73846900-1423709434_thumb.jpg

Archived