FOID numbers by County

Blaster

You can tell how JACKED up this state is though. It is very simple to have requirements in a program. How is that they they don't have a list of ABC city can be in XYZ county? Or the fact that ABCDEF is not an actual city in the state? This list truly does prove the incompetence within the state government.

Wouldn't put too much credence in a ABCDEF record. I used to work in IT; occasionally a test record is added to help in system testing, for instance. If no card is issued, or if it can't be mailed due to bad address, there's no card even though there's a record. Only shows up when a list like this is generated but not a big deal.

You have to remember, that 3/4ths of the states population live in CBS NBC ABC Sun Times, Tribune land, where guns are scary, and they hear about people getting shot by criminals.

I swear if I won the lotto big I'd go down there and do a Rupert Murdoch. Hiya real news. I'd have boxes on every corner and a full time TV station, sadly I haven't won the lotto yet and at 50k a year I can't afford one. =(

The poor sheep.... baaaaaaa.... mug me, flash mob me, rape me... baaaaa

Has this spreadsheet been updated recently? The date shows 2007. I would suspect the numbers to be significantly higher today. Also, it would be interesting to see the the number of FOID holders compared the the eligible population. Looks to me the population of 18 and over is approx 9.8 million.

. See my post of June 11 2013. Total on May 1 was just shy of 1.5 million.

I am sorry, but my gut feeling is that these numbers are not accurate. By, "not accurate", I don't mean, "poorly researched", by the IC member, (to the researcher, please don't take it that way and please also understand that your efforts are well appreciated!!), but rather that the info provided for public consumption by the state is either out of date, just plainly inaccurate in and of itself, or some other reason, (and yes, I do feel that any inaccuracies in data provided by State employees are most likely intentional. You see, I personally KNOW an individual that was former employee associated with FOID processing on the state level and, needless to say, the numbers reflected in the report do not in any way coincide with the info I was told by this specific employee regarding case load, numbers involved, etc.

• 1 month later...

I am sorry, but my gut feeling is that these numbers are not accurate. By, "not accurate", I don't mean, "poorly researched", by the IC member, (to the researcher, please don't take it that way and please also understand that your efforts are well appreciated!!), but rather that the info provided for public consumption by the state is either out of date, just plainly inaccurate in and of itself, or some other reason, (and yes, I do feel that any inaccuracies in data provided by State employees are most likely intentional. You see, I personally KNOW an individual that was former employee associated with FOID processing on the state level and, needless to say, the numbers reflected in the report do not in any way coincide with the info I was told by this specific employee regarding case load, numbers involved, etc.

Wow! Way to Jump in with the first post! Care to elaborate? Are the numbers lower, higher, non-existent? And welcome to the forum!

I'll be on that list again soon, I've been waiting over 5 months for my food card, when I call all I get is a "still processing" answer, what a joke.

E-mail the FOIA Officer at the State Police, I e-mailed him after 3 months saying I wanted to request information as to why my FOID was taking so long. I received an e-mail back 40 min later saying my card was going to be mailed at the end of the day, and it was.

Lieutenant Steve Lyddon

Illinois State Police

Freedom of Information Officer

801 South 7th Street, Suite 1000-S

Springfield, Illinois 62703

E-mail: FOIA_Officer@isp.state.il.us

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Just to keep everybody up to date: I filed a FOIA request for the 2015 year-end by-county FOID and FCCL numbers on 12/31 and have not yet received a response from ISP. I asked for status this Monday and received a reply to the status request but have not yet received the data requested.

• 1 year later...

To address the constant quoting of only 10% (on the average) have FOID cards:

That is faulty math because one of premise used is invalid. Of the total population, how many are children too young to have a FOID card? How many are elderly and in assisted care or skilled care facilities? How many would not qualify for a FOID card. How many households mistakenly believe that only one person in a household needs a FOID card? How many households have guns with no, or an expired, FOID card in a household?

My somewhat informed guess is that about 30% of our voters in Illinois own guns, and that is a much better number to consider. But, that is a guess no matter how informed I believe it to be.

That is faulty math because one of premise used is invalid. Of the total population, how many are children too young to have a FOID card? How many are elderly and in assisted care or skilled care facilities? How many would not qualify for a FOID card. How many households mistakenly believe that only one person in a household needs a FOID card? How many households have guns with no, or an expired, FOID card in a household?

My somewhat informed guess is that about 30% of our voters in Illinois own guns, and that is a much better number to consider. But, that is a guess no matter how informed I believe it to be.

There is nothing preventing children from having a FOID card.

Latest Pew (JUNE 22, 2017) 42% Of all households, IL?

As long as their fairy godmother says so.

To use any method other than by percentage of total population you would need more data:

Total Popululation

Total FOID holders

Total Children/Adult Pop.

Total Children with FOID

Using total population at least keeps things the same from year to year... A way to compare years to equivalent data. If you had the number of voters vs FOID holders I believe that would be rather distorted data. Not all FOID holders are voters. Using Total Population vs FOIDs is simpler and possibly less skewed?

I'd love to see numbers of CCL vs FOID vs Total Pop per County and City. I suspect the 10% is now higher. I also suspect that Chicago/Cook have higher percentages than in 2007 because of the CCL. It is pretty easy to let your FOID lapse and keep your gun, and I know more than a few Chicagoans who did just that in "the old days". If you desire to carry legally, you can't let things lapse.

Would this data not be available via a FOIA request just like we get the monthly CCL stats KWC posts?

edit: I see Hap filed a request last year. Perhaps denied or results are in another post on the board?

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4538&page=4&do=findComment&comment=967737

and a year end 2016 report but he pulled the data as there appeared to be discrepancies

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=52540&page=3&do=findComment&comment=1063650

Edited by InterestedBystander

I wonder how many people have moved to the Chicago area in the past from another state with a firearm that they never use but just keep for an emergency. They never get a FOID card because in the past they had to register their gun every year. There was a yearly fee too, correct?

I had a friend at my church who went to a gun class put on by a local police department. He had moved here from another state with his Glock handgun. He had no FOID, though I recommended he get one. The officer in charge of the training asked if I would bring his handgun to the class, which I did. He never did get his FOID but a couple of years later moved out ot state.

Edited by junglebob

• 3 weeks later...

EDIT: I have no idea why this is italicized like five words in. Meh, stupid technology.

Oh yes, there is. Consent from a parent or guardian. No consent, no FOID. Period. Just ask Tempest Horsley who sued ISP and lost for refusing to issue her a FOID at age 20, I believe, after her mom refused to consent.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Edited by skinnyb82

EDIT: I have no idea why this is italicized like five words in. Meh, stupid technology.

Oh yes, there is. Consent from a parent or guardian. No consent, no FOID. Period. Just ask Tempest Horsley who sued ISP and lost for refusing to issue her a FOID at age 20, I believe, after her mom refused to consent.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

That was in response to chance's question as to how many were children and too young to have a FOID card.

Obviously a child must have parental consent, but there is nothing in the law that prevents someone from having a FOID card due to age alone, i.e. no FOID if under age 13 or whatever.... like there is for tanning, tattoos, etc.

Edited by Glock23