FOID numbers by County

Blaster

Aw Crudniks. Here I am again, still unable to get any of these downloads and/or view-ables to work, with out getting a lot of gibberish.

How about this? Could someone please list the source of references for all this info, and I can just wander over there to get the numbers I might need for conversations with politicos? I figure Ol' Coach found these somewhere, and did the digging for us, but it looks like I have to go sink my own shaft, since I can't access this here.

Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa. (Translation: I'm a puter-dummy, dang this new-fangled machine)

• 1 month later...
More possibly useless information - screwing around with percentages;

39% of all FOID holders live in the Chicagoland area

(Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake and Will)

22% of all FOID holders live in Cook County

8.8% of all FOID holders live in Chicago.

22% of Chicagoland FOID holders live in Chicago

what I am interested in, and there would be no way to know for sure.....of the 8.8% of chicago proper foid holders, how many of those individuals own handguns???

I've been a foid holder for around 6-7 years, and only up until this past year, my collection only consisted of long guns, all 4 registered with the city of chicago....

I guess my point is, if anyone is trying to draw a correlary between numbers of foid holder to handgun owners, one should not assume that every foid holder is directly affected by our ridiculous state/county/city laws and ordinances.

in other words....

I've carried a foid for 7 years, and have owned at least one long gun for just as long.....

I have to admit, with a fair amount of shame, that I only really began to CARE what's been going on with 2a rights a few months ago.....like 3 seconds after taking delivery of my first handgun.

I am sure that there are a percentage of foid holders that don't give a crap wether or not illinois will ever be a "shall issue state"

submitted for your consideration with love,

Beezil

• 5 weeks later...

One thing that I find interesting, is that the overall percentage of FOID card holders in Illinois isn't that far off from the percentage of CCW holders in other states.

One question - are there requirements for a FOID like card in states where CCW are issued (thus requiring one of two different cards to carry or posses?) or are weapons typically legal, but you need a special card to carry it on your person?

Yet the Decatur fire department won't come to our house, our neighbor managed to catch our field on fire a couple years back, and when we call 911 for the fire department, we go the run around....we finally called the Argenta-Oreana volunteer fire department and they came right out, no questions asked (which they routinely get fined for because they have to drive through a portion of Decatur's jurisdiction to get to our house, but they have a job to do and are determined to get it done). But when we received our "911 address" and was forced to change over to it in place of our Rural Route Box #, they said we were Decatur......We just have to go about things differently in my neck of the woods, I guess that's why so many people out here own guns....

To go off topic for a minute...

In my fire district we have to drive past another jurisdictions firehouse to get to part of our district. :thumbsup:

One thing that I find interesting, is that the overall percentage of FOID card holders in Illinois isn't that far off from the percentage of CCW holders in other states.

One question - are there requirements for a FOID like card in states where CCW are issued (thus requiring one of two different cards to carry or posses?) or are weapons typically legal, but you need a special card to carry it on your person?

Generally speaking just one. According to my Traveler's guide to firearm laws http://www.gunlawguide.com/ , 2007 edition, Massachusetts has something similar to our FOID. Their LTC is very discretionary, and $100 per year. Of course, everything in D.C. is either banned or disassembled, HI requires registration within 72 hours of arriving, NJ requires a firearm purchase card, NY requires a permit for simply possessing a handgun and NYC has their own set of rules, none of them good. Every other state is listed as "Unrestricted, no license or permit required".

Congratulations on living in the unique state of IL!!!

Ain't we lucky???

AB

• 1 month later...
does anyone know how to open this without having to buy anything?

You would need to download a free Excel viewer--something like this (I haven't tried it, because I have an old version of Microsoft Office, but it should work).

Just get this little beauty http://www.openoffice.org/ Compatible with office documents, and its FREE!!!

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Now, what I find interesting, the town I am from here in Macon County is Oreana.

FOID: 313

Population: 400 counting the cats, trees, and dogs :rolleyes:

(But the three legged dogs have almost as much trouble as the one eyed cats do when it comes to safely firing a gun)

What is the crime rate in Oreana. Pretty low, I'd guess. Mostly things like , UD's !

:rolleyes:

Why not try and enter population numbers by town or city as we know them? ie: Prospect Hts has 17000 residents, estimate 70% are eligible (age, criminal record etc) and over 1000 are foid holders. 17000/7= 11'900 1'007/11'900=.084. I feel it is imperative to not use general population numbers as they represent the whole and the whole are not eligible. Thanks for the work Coach!

Thank God Thomson, Il citizens are aware that a firearm saves lives. 559 citizens 420 foid cards! Seems they might say they want the prison but they are going to be armed to protect themselves.

• 1 month later...

Revisiting this topic, I take umbrage...

it seems clear that with 39% of the FOID holders living in the 5 county Chicagoland area, and all of them being slackers

Look at it this way,thos of us north of 88 (the slackers)are more energized than those below 88 as we must resist the forces of anti, which are based here. AND let's face it, the seat of power in Illinois is north of 88. To call any group or portion of right minded citizens "slackers" is denigrating and unwelcome in my world of understanding that the Constitution applies to both Republicrats and Demolicans. Ask this,given the population density north of 88, where are the preponderance of non foid owning gun owners?

• 3 months later...
I like soundguys math work very cool. I did the same with the city of Morris (where I live) in Grundy county and In Morris its about 20% of our citizens who have a FOID.Now you got me started, Im going to do the same with Grundy county and see what the percentage is.I wont bother to post it though.Thanks for the figures.. gives some insight into how many people might want to have a CC law passed.I feel for the people stuck living in Chicago ,probably the most violent city in the US, with very litte defense.At least thats changing!!!

• 2 months later...
Anyone notice the % of people in counties in southern Illinois (south of I64) who have FOID cards, Jackson is the lowest percentage with 15.6% , White county is the highest with a whopping 51%, Pope county is 30.6%. Too bad we don't have numbers like this north of I80. Even Champaign county is only 8.9%.

All you Cook county residents get FOID cards for your wife and kids, if they don't already have them. We need to get those numbers up.

Perhaps we need a Northern Illinois FOID drive?

Tim

Students for Concealed Carry on Campus will be doing a drive this winter in Chicago hopefully with the assistance of local police departments.

Anyone notice the % of people in counties in southern Illinois (south of I64) who have FOID cards, Jackson is the lowest percentage with 15.6% , White county is the highest with a whopping 51%, Pope county is 30.6%. Too bad we don't have numbers like this north of I80. Even Champaign county is only 8.9%.

All you Cook county residents get FOID cards for your wife and kids, if they don't already have them. We need to get those numbers up.

Tim

I like CCW on campus. Good luck to you with the CPD brass. Maybe the CPD "every-person"... but not the brass.

Students for Concealed Carry on Campus will be doing a drive this winter in Chicago hopefully with the assistance of local police departments.

Tim

Tim, Let us know if you need help in any way.

And whats the percentage of FOID CARDS that have been revoked

It was something like they didn't track that or the number was so low that we didn't care.

I can't remember.

Several years ago, Coach filed an FOIA request for the number of violent crimes committed by persons holding a valid FOID card. IIRC, he was told that those statistics were not collected or retained. I don't remember ever seeing the number of FOIDs revoked and don't know if anyone has ever asked for that information.

Care to try to get that info Sigma? Not sure what we'd do with it, but it might be interesting. I'm guessing the number is very low compared to the number of FOIDs issued.

AB

Not sure what we'd do with it? Oh my goodness what a good talking point that would be. I was just talking to a guy yesterday who said if we get Concealed Carry in Chicago it will be shoot outs every day. Since that is the mindset of people, what will they think about the people who already own firearms in the city and trasnport them and have never committed ANY felony that would cause their FOID to be revoked.

Proving the point that law abiding citizens who go through the process of legally owning a firearm arent the problem.

Of course I could point out that other state have LTC but like Jody Weiss says, you cant compare other cities to Chicago.

But you can compare Chicago to Chicago

I tried to find out that info but gave up, got a little one who consumes all my time.

Not sure what we'd do with it? Oh my goodness what a good talking point that would be. I was just talking to a guy yesterday who said if we get Concealed Carry in Chicago it will be shoot outs every day. Since that is the mindset of people, what will they think about the people who already own firearms in the city and trasnport them and have never committed ANY felony that would cause their FOID to be revoked.

Proving the point that law abiding citizens who go through the process of legally owning a firearm arent the problem.

Of course I could point out that other state have LTC but like Jody Weiss says, you cant compare other cities to Chicago.

I tried to find out that info but gave up, got a little one who consumes all my time.

I drove through Goreville Illinois today, 743 FOID card holders with a Goreville address, population around 1000. Everything calm and peaceful, no shootouts like Chicago. Every household is supposed to have a firearm. They take their ordinance seriously, apparently.

You ever looked through a publication called Gun Facts ?? It addresses this and many other myths surrounding concealed carry. No, you might not be able to compare Chicago to, say, Peoria or Springfield. But I think the comparison to Miami or Dallas or Albuquerque or Phoenix is valid. In every state that has passed shall issue in the last 25 years, the naysayers have said that there will be shootouts, killings over parking spaces, wild west, etc. ad nauseum.

In every case, it has not happened.

Check out Gun Facts. Read it while the little one sleeps on your shoulder. Lots of good points to use with folks like your friend.

We have 40 or so states with shall issue LTC. Not a one has moved to rescind or make it more restrictive. Several have passed legislation to make it less restrictive. Do we really need to listen to the tired old arguments that have been disproven many times over?? Do we really need a "test city" or a "trial period"??

I don't think so.

AB

• 8 months later...
if these numbers are correct.and if ccw gets passed. and only half of the foid holders apply for the ccw at 100 bucks a pop that is alot of money for the state. they could use that money to help fix bridges, roads, build parks, and give alot of its residents more work. maybe we should throw this in face of the NO voters. maybe that would get there attention. doesnt money grab yours?

if these numbers are correct.and if ccw gets passed. and only half of the foid holders apply for the ccw at 100 bucks a pop that is alot of money for the state. they could use that money to help fix bridges, roads, build parks, and give alot of its residents more work. maybe we should throw this in face of the NO voters. maybe that would get there attention. doesnt money grab yours?

Except the money was not intended for fixing bridges or roads. Under the proposed bill the money would go to the police for their citizen safety trust fund, new ermployess, computers etc. and to keep the system going and up to date. Roads, bridges, and parks get their funding elsewhere, like tollbooths and proprty taxes, etc.

Subject to appropriation, moneys in the Fund shall exclusively be used to assist the Department with the administrative costs associated with this Act.

• 6 months later...

Anyone know if there is a more up to date list?

A springtime 2011 article from a Peoria newspaper indicated there were 1.3 million active FOID cards. That's an increase of roughly 200,000. The initial post with numbers by county in this thread was from early 2007.

More recent numbers might be entertaining as the colder weather sets in.

• 1 month later...
I'm originally from Thomson and proud of the FOID holders there. I wish more towns and cities had those percentages. If they did and more people got involved in our efforts for CCW we might not be were we are right now. Edited by LeeG

Here is the information that Ol'Coach researched on the Illinois FOID

Click Here to veiw

I'm proud to be a resident of Clay County, in the village of Louisville, pop about 1400, 873 of which are foid card holders. My wife and I are two of the 873. I don't know crime statistics here, but most people leave their doors unlocked. Perhaps a bad habit, but I'm geussing that most bad guys understand there are firearms in many homes, owned by people who know how to use them.

I know a lot of old hardliners refused to ever get a FOID on a matter of principal. They are kind of a dieing breed though.

Everybody should get ever member of their family a FOID as soon as they are old enough.

How old is that? I have grandchildren coming up.

It seems they are also making new felonies every year. I know at least one northern legislator that stated this as part of his anti-gun agenda years ago.

It is now a felony to speed 30 mph over the speed limit and it carries a mandatory 6 monthes in the pokey. 40 mph over is a mandatory year in jail.

There are towns where their city speed zones extend a ways out of town and if you are running 75 in a 55 it would be easy to get a 75 in a 35 ticket.

There is also the FOID law they passed last year that makes it easy to get a mandatory year in jail for being in the wrong place in posession of a gun with an expired FOID.

And this year with the rear seat belt law they made hay rack rides illegal.

I won't vote for anybody that voted for these laws. I'm running out of people to vote

Throw them all out and get some people in that really look out for us and that will refuse to try to pass legislation that they think will make them look good.

Tell your legislators to vote NO on almost everything.

Did we really need 200 new laws, 2 years in a row?

Edited by jrsavoie

There is also the FOID law they passed last year that makes it easy to get a mandatory year in jail for being in the wrong place in posession of a gun with an expired FOID.

I share your frustration with all the new, inane laws that our dear legislators come up with. But, having watched the legislature pretty closely last spring, I must have missed one. Can you tell me the bill number on this "law" that was passed, or give us a little more detail?

Thanks,

Tim