Ted Cruz Accepts Alyssa Milano’s Challenge to Debate Gun Violence

InterestedBystander

Full story at link...

Alyssa Milano op-ed on why she met with Ted Cruz

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/13/opinions/alyssa-milano-ted-cruz-meeting-guns-milano/index.html

Alyssa Milano discusses gun control with Sen. Ted Cruz

Alyssa Milano is an actor, activist, producer and host of the podcast, "Alyssa Milano: Sorry Not Sorry." She is also a co-chair of Health Care Voter, the founder of #NoRA and Patriot NOT Partisan, and a board member of the ERA Coalition. The views expressed in this commentary are her own. View more opinion on CNN.

(CNN)Let me start by saying this: I don't want to take away all guns. In fact, I can't think of a politician or gun violence prevention advocate who has suggested repealing the Second Amendment. However, I do believe it should be really, really, hard — if not impossible — for certain people to get their hands on certain guns.

Alyssa Milano

We have always been a nation that self-corrects and adjusts with our changing population, economy and the wants, needs, and dreams of the American people. The sign of a thriving society is not resting on its norms or being satisfied with how it's always been. It's attempting to always leave something better then how you found it.

Recently, a Texas state representative sent a bizarre, angry, and — in my view — deadly chain of social media posts in which he listed all the things he wasn't going support: assault weapons bans, extreme risk protection order laws (also known as "red flag" laws), universal background checks. He basically said he would oppose any tiny modicum of sensible governmental intervention to treat the epidemic of preventable gun violence raging in our nation. Guns, he claimed, are a "God-given right."

I was raised Catholic. I've read the Bible, cover-to-cover. A few times. I pray daily. I am a believer. And I sure as Sunday don't remember any passage where God says we have a right to an AR-15. I tweeted about it, asking a largely rhetorical question about where in the Bible these alleged gun rights exist.

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz responded....

Archived