McDonald/NRA lawyers likely to get paid

For those not keeping track, the 7th Circuit lower court ruled that the McDonald lawyers did not deserves to recoup fees because the McDonald case did not prevail due to Chicago changing its ordinances. This was, of course, appealed to the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals and they have just ruled that McDonald did prevail for fee purposes and remanded the case back to the lower court for fee determination.

This is great news, not just for the McDonald lawyers, but for civil rights in general. The ability for lawyers to recoup fees when they prevail is a bedrock principle that incentivizes them to take on cases where the plaintiffs might not have the money to fund their own lawsuit. Without this, only the rich would have civil rights.

For those not keeping track, the 7th Circuit lower court ruled that the McDonald lawyers did not deserves to recoup fees because the McDonald case did not prevail due to Chicago changing its ordinances. This was, of course, appealed to the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals and they have just ruled that McDonald did prevail for fee purposes and remanded the case back to the lower court for fee determination.

This is great news, not just for the McDonald lawyers, but for civil rights in general. The ability for lawyers to recoup fees when they prevail is a bedrock principle that incentivizes them to take on cases where the plaintiffs might not have the money to fund their own lawsuit. Without this, only the rich would have civil rights.

It appears that the 7th Circuit is just trying to be a PITA re: gun rights in general. Would that be a fair assessment??

AB

For those not keeping track, the 7th Circuit lower court ruled that the McDonald lawyers did not deserves to recoup fees because the McDonald case did not prevail due to Chicago changing its ordinances.

Let me guess, these are the same guys who didn't think Heller should be applied to the states, right?

Don't you love activist judges?

J

I know they are spending Chicagoans money and dont care but I think its worst when they dont have to pay at all. Atleast now perhaps they will get some push back from Chicago tax payers.

Just think about the law suits they will have to pay for over the next few years. You would think that would be enough for them to stop there foolishness like some of the suburbs did when they first filed the suit.

This is ... sweet!

http://www.oakpark.com/News/Articles/06-14-2011/Chicago_won%27t_shield_Oak_Park_from_NRA%27s_legal_costs

Chicago won't shield Oak Park from NRA's legal costs

Back when Oak Park decided to stick it out with Chicago, I wrote to the village board president, urging them to repeal their law or face large legal fees. He wasn't worried, as he said "Chicago had guaranteed to cover us in case of loss." I think I shall write him a follow-up.

I have a right to keep and bear arms for lawful purposes. That right is protected by the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution. Oak Park and Chicago violated that right -- In fact, they continue to trample the right -- and should pay substantial sums of money to the attorneys and organizations who challenged the abuse.

The fight is not over. These same attorneys and groups, I hope, will continue the battle.

This is ... sweet!

http://www.oakpark.com/News/Articles/06-14-2011/Chicago_won%27t_shield_Oak_Park_from_NRA%27s_legal_costs

Chicago won't shield Oak Park from NRA's legal costs

Back when Oak Park decided to stick it out with Chicago, I wrote to the village board president, urging them to repeal their law or face large legal fees. He wasn't worried, as he said "Chicago had guaranteed to cover us in case of loss." I think I shall write him a follow-up.

Your post made me giggle inside.

Archived