Need a lawyers advice on settlement against cook county jail.

Chicago312

I was sent a letter a few days ago regarding a settlement from the department of cook county jail. Apparently someone sued the county jail and won a class action lawsuit for civil rights violations. I have a valid foid card and was wondering if I submit the paper work to be included in the settlement, could that or would that tamper with my active foid card status? The time period of the lawsuit is from 2003-2013 and deals with inmates who were denied medication or health care while in custody. Should I just disregard the suit and be happy that I have my foid or should I submit the paperwork?

if you want a lawyer's advice contact a real lawyer about your specific details.

You will get a lot of amateur guessing here.

Your share of the class action payout may not be worth your time or effort.

You might want to contact a legal aid type of organization to help you decide on your course.

I was sent a letter a few days ago regarding a settlement from the department of cook county jail. Apparently someone sued the county jail and won a class action lawsuit for civil rights violations. I have a valid foid card and was wondering if I submit the paper work to be included in the settlement, could that or would that tamper with my active foid card status? The time period of the lawsuit is from 2003-2013 and deals with inmates who were denied medication or health care while in custody. Should I just disregard the suit and be happy that I have my foid or should I submit the paperwork?

Joining a class action does not invalidate the FOID. Since you obviously have a FOID than COOK COUNTY JAIL was clearly not a disqualifying factor and that should not change by joining a class action. It is a good idea to consult a lawyer anyway. Also if you want to preserve your right to sue the jail yourself you will likely need to exclude yourself by a certain deadline.

Archived