Lake County SA drops 5 felony murder charges

mikew

I too recall my buddy, about 35 years ago, coming home from a party late one hot summer evening. He walked into his living room and fell onto his couch to sleep it off, leaving just the screen door closed. Three of his “buddies” walked in and rousted him up to go get something to eat.

He slouched in the backseat for the ride to Taco Bell barely awake or sober.

As they parked right in front of the restaurant they all slip stockings over their head and pulled guns out from underneath the seats.

That woke my buddy up.

“We’ll be right back. Grab the wheel “ they told him.

“Uh, no thanks. I’m good.”

They got three blocks before the police snagged them.

Fortunately his “buds” told the cops he had no part in the robbery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard a reportedly true story of a person who was asked by a passing acquaintance if he could give him a ride to his home. On the way, the guy explained that his car quit and he needed to stop by his bank to withdraw some funds to pay the mechanic. Driver stopped at bank. Guy got out, robbed it, got back in, driver dropped him off, and driver went ahead home. Not too long later, police show up and arrested the driver. He wound up doing some time. Still maintains to this day that he had no idea the guy was going to or did rob the bank until police arrested him.

And no way do "reportedly true" stories ever turn out not to be true!

• 2 weeks later...

chislinger: I get it and you're usually right; but the person telling me was the actual person. He grew up not that far from me and made a pretty believable case. Obviously, not convincing enough for the police / judge / jury who had the benefit of more information; but his version sounded plausible or at least possible to me knowing a little about him.

After posting a possible situation of how someone could be innocent, I thought maybe I should actually share my thoughts on this particular situation.

"Not to mention that they were 60 miles away from their homes driving a stolen car after midnight while armed, and, according to reports, with a list of probable targets mapped in the GPS of one of their cell phones."

"After the shooting, the six teenagers left in a vehicle. They stopped near an accident scene in Gurnee, where one of the boys got out with Swopes to seek medical attention. The other four drove away, leading police on a high-speed chase from Gurnee to Chicago, where the remaining teens were apprehended. Nerheim said they told police they fled because "they didn't want to go back to jail.""

Those things are enough to convince me that they weren't innocents needing a chance to turn their life around. They needed charged and prosecuted to fullest extent.

chislinger: I get it and you're usually right; but the person telling me was the actual person. He grew up not that far from me and made a pretty believable case. Obviously, not convincing enough for the police / judge / jury who had the benefit of more information; but his version sounded plausible or at least possible to me knowing a little about him.

Fair enough. Police and prosecutors do overreach on occasion.

Archived