FOID not a valid ID for Illinois Real ID

mab22

Was checking the list of accepted forms of ID to get an Illinois Real ID. To my surprise the Illinois FOID and the Concealed Carry Permit are NOT on the list. I wonder why, if its needed to possess or purchase a firearm, whats the flaw thats keeping it of off the acceptable ID list? In my opinion that makes them pretty much useless!

A voter registration card has more weight than a FOID/CCW?

Real ID site: https://realid.ilsos.gov

Requirements for Real ID: https://realid.ilsos.gov/publications/pdf_publications/ex83.pdf

are NOT on the list. I wonder why, if its needed to possess or purchase a firearm, whats the flaw thats keeping it of off the acceptable ID list? In my opinion that makes them pretty much useless!

They have never been a 'legit' ID except for thier specific purposes.

As for the Real ID list, there is a list of security features that are required of those IDs, but it's taken SOOOOO long (a decade and a half) for states like Illinois to get their official IDs up to snuff that most of the counterfeiters are already on top of most of the new security features, basically right back to square one security wise beyond the circus.

If it’s not recognized as a VALID IDENTIFICATION CARD by the Secretary of State of Illinois, how can it be a VALID IDENTIFICATION CARD for purchasing ammo, firearms OR even POSSESION of a fire arm according to Illinois state law?

If the state says it worth spit and the feds say it worth less than spit, then it’s an illegitimate identification card that is not qualified to be issued by the state and shouldn’t be used to vet someone to purchase a deadly weapon!

Might as well have them dispensed out of a gum ball machine for .50 cents as a novelty item.

During the 11th hour fight for concealed carry in Illinois, this is one of the things that the anti-gun politicians in Illinois insisted on. They were adamant that the CCL not be recognized as a valid form of state identification.

It was petty and relatively insignificant considering the momentous issue of concealed carry becoming a reality in the oppressive state of Illinois.

You have to pick your battles. You have to decide what you're going to expend political capital on.

There were more draconian infringements to be dealt with like a proposal to prohibit carry within x number of feet of a gas station, liquor store or convenience store (which would have created zones that would have been impossible to traverse legally), there was a proposal to necessitate qualification and a license per make and model of firearm so if you carried a S&W 642 in the summer and a S&W Model 69 in the winter - you'd have to go through the licensing process for both. If a concealed carry decided to add a .380 pocket pistol in the future - they would have to go through the licensing and qualification process for the additional firearm. There were many prohibited places that were being proposed that were being fought, some successfully and some unsuccessfully - thus we have the list of prohibited places that we have.

Was checking the list of accepted forms of ID to get an Illinois Real ID. To my surprise the Illinois FOID and the Concealed Carry Permit are NOT on the list. I wonder why, if its needed to possess or purchase a firearm, whats the flaw thats keeping it of off the acceptable ID list? In my opinion that makes them pretty much useless!

Requirements for Real ID: https://realid.ilsos.gov/publications/pdf_publications/ex83.pdf

Um, to be fair, a current NON real ID DL can't be used either. I could see an argument made for FOID or CCL being allowed in section 1 IF old DL is also allowed. But, as I understand it, one of the criteria behind 'real id' is making sure the veracity of them exist, and that older state IDs across the country weren't. THus 4 #1, since FOID and CCL are based on your DL as identification, then they are no better than that is, and it can't be used to prove citizenship.

THey also can't be 100% used for proof of current residence (section 3), because, well FOID has a 10 year period, and potentially has a non valid address. Not everyone updates their FOID, CCL and DL when they move like they should.

I do question the voter ID as being valid for this though. .

Current State ID/DL is only good for group 4, signature.

Um, to be fair, a current NON real ID DL can't be used either. I could see an argument made for FOID or CCL being allowed in section 1 IF old DL is also allowed. But, as I understand it, one of the criteria behind 'real id' is making sure the veracity of them exist, and that older state IDs across the country weren't. THus 4 #1, since FOID and CCL are based on your DL as identification, then they are no better than that is, and it can't be used to prove citizenship.

THey also can't be 100% used for proof of current residence (section 3), because, well FOID has a 10 year period, and potentially has a non valid address. Not everyone updates their FOID, CCL and DL when they move like they should.

I do question the voter ID as being valid for this though. .

Current State ID is only good for Group 4, signature verification.

During the 11th hour fight for concealed carry in Illinois, this is one of the things that the anti-gun politicians in Illinois insisted on. They were adamant that the CCL not be recognized as a valid form of state identification.

It was petty and relatively insignificant considering the momentous issue of concealed carry becoming a reality in the oppressive state of Illinois.

You have to pick your battles. You have to decide what you're going to expend political capital on.

There were more draconian infringements to be dealt with like a proposal to prohibit carry within x number of feet of a gas station, liquor store or convenience store (which would have created zones that would have been impossible to traverse legally), there was a proposal to necessitate qualification and a license per make and model of firearm so if you carried a S&W 642 in the summer and a S&W Model 69 in the winter - you'd have to go through the licensing process for both. If a concealed carry decided to add a .380 pocket pistol in the future - they would have to go through the licensing and qualification process for the additional firearm. There were many prohibited places that were being proposed that were being fought, some successfully and some unsuccessfully - thus we have the list of prohibited places that we have.

I am now thinking the reason for them not making those actual ID’s is because they lack the actual authority to do so, and make it a “federally accepted” form of ID. I’m guessing that they knew/know this and distracted from that...

In other words here is your state ID, that the “federal government” accepts as a form of identification, which is your state right to keep and bear arms and ammunition “card/ID”. A state can not issue a license to a federally protected constitutional right, in this case the second amendment. That would make the state infringing on your federal right, no?

Only the the feds could do that, and they don’t need to because it’s a right.

So, what we really have are novelty items and the “envelopes” that they come in have more weight from an ID perspective than the cards them selves? To which I have to ask what court can take away your liberties, freedom, because you do not have your “Novelty” issued item by a “state” of the union, for an item that is allowed at the federal level?

Am I wrong here?

I am now thinking the reason for them not making those actual ID’s is because they lack the actual authority to do so, and make it a “federally accepted” form of ID. I’m guessing that they knew/know this and distracted from that...

In other words here is your state ID, that the “federal government” accepts as a form of identification, which is your state right to keep and bear arms and ammunition “card/ID”. A state can not issue a license to a federally protected constitutional right, in this case the second amendment. That would make the state infringing on your federal right, no?

Only the the feds could do that, and they don’t need to because it’s a right.

So, what we really have are novelty items and the “envelopes” that they come in have more weight from an ID perspective than the cards them selves? To which I have to ask what court can take away your liberties, freedom, because you do not have your “Novelty” issued item by a “state” of the union, for an item that is allowed at the federal level?

Am I wrong here?

Another way to look at it is that if the CCL was recognized as a valid ID by the feds, it could be argued that it is a valid ID in all states and a valid license in all states.

Think about it, TSA has to look at 50 different state drivers licenses and maybe another 50 different state ID cards as well as passports and passport cards. I have used my foid as an id to get through security at the airport several times just to see what they would say. Nothing, not even a second glance. They are really only going to look to see if that star is present. They may not even bother to compare your face to the picture.

Think about it, TSA has to look at 50 different state drivers licenses and maybe another 50 different state ID cards as well as passports and passport cards. I have used my foid as an id to get through security at the airport several times just to see what they would say. Nothing, not even a second glance. They are really only going to look to see if that star is present. They may not even bother to compare your face to the picture.

They have smiled and thanked me when presented with my passport card.

Archived