Conceal Carry a Knife?

Slappy

I've recently moved into Cook County, as I mentioned in another thread.

I know there is no CCW in Illinois, however can a person carry a tactical folding knife in their pocket without fear of arrest?

I know its not as effective as the 9mm compact I would carry, but at least its something!!!

Thanks everyone!

Always check local jurisdiction. IIRC, as long as the blade is less than 3 inches. BUT, if an arse wanted to make him/herself out to be a bigger arse. They could say that you was carrying a dangerous weapon and let "you" fight it out in court.

Always check local jurisdiction. IIRC, as long as the blade is less than 3 inches. BUT, if an arse wanted to make him/herself out to be a bigger arse. They could say that you was carrying a dangerous weapon and let "you" fight it out in court.

Thanks... so 3 inches or less is ok then... good to know! I wasnt planning on strapping a machete to myself or anything but I do have a nice 5 inch knife I cant stick in my pocket then!

I guess Illinois just doesn't want to see it citizenry safe... sad really...

Thanks... so 3 inches or less is ok then... good to know! I wasnt planning on strapping a machete to myself or anything but I do have a nice 5 inch knife I cant stick in my pocket then!

I guess Illinois just doesn't want to see it citizenry safe... sad really...

Actually the state police have stated that there are things that you could protect yourself with.....

from the illinois state police website:

Articles common to your handbag that make useful defense weapons.

* nail file

* rat tail comb

* teasing brush

* pens and pencils

* keys

* anything rigid

Also some towns are giving away bright colored whistles! :thumbsup:

What about tazers? I saw where a company is makin' em in designer colors for the womenfolk, and hosting sales parties much like tupperware!

In addition to being prohibited from carrying a taser, you must present a FOID card to even purchase one. Since these items are so heavily restricted in Illinois, there's almost no reason to bother having one. The only completely legal way to use one would be in self-defense on your own property, in which case I'd rather trust my life to a firearm.

In Chicago proper, anything over 2.5 inches is illegal to carry.

Not sure if Cook has its own ordinance.

As far as most of the rest of Illinois, you can lawfully carry knives over 3 inches. Just don't commit any crimes while doing so, or show intent to commit a crime.

You are correct. The Chicago ordinance makes it illegal if you are 19 years of age or older to possess or carry a knife with a blade longer than 2.5 inches. This means that an otherwise lawful citizen walking across the street to his neighbor's barbecue with a butcher knife -- I know of no butcher knife with a blade shorter than 2.5 inches -- to carve a turkey or to slice ribs is violating the ordinance, particularly if the knife were concealed.

The section refers to concealment of the knife. Maybe open carry is permitted. Also, to play devil's advocate, open carry of the other listed items would not violate this section of the ordinance. (Of course, there are other sections of the ordinance and the state code that a person who openly carried the prohibited items would run afoul.)

Here is the code:

No person shall carry concealed on or about his person a pistol, revolver, derringer or other firearm or dagger, dirk, stiletto, bowie knife, commando knife, any blade of which is released by a spring mechanism, including knives known as "switch-blades" or any other type or kind of knife, any blade of which is more than two and one-half inches in length, ordinary razor or other dangerous weapon except that no person 18 years of age or under shall carry concealed on or about his person, any knife, the blade of which is two inches in length or longer.

Municipal Code of the City of Chicago 8-24-020 Carrying dangerous weapons.

You are correct. The Chicago ordinance makes it illegal if you are 19 years of age or older to possess or carry a knife with a blade longer than 2.5 inches. This means that an otherwise lawful citizen walking across the street to his neighbor's barbecue with a butcher knife -- I know of no butcher knife with a blade shorter than 2.5 inches -- to carve a turkey or to slice ribs is violating the ordinance, particularly if the knife were concealed.

The section refers to concealment of the knife. Maybe open carry is permitted. Also, to play devil's advocate, open carry of the other listed items would not violate this section of the ordinance. (Of course, there are other sections of the ordinance and the state code that a person who openly carried the prohibited items would run afoul.)

Here is the code:

No person shall carry concealed on or about his person a pistol, revolver, derringer or other firearm or dagger, dirk, stiletto, bowie knife, commando knife, any blade of which is released by a spring mechanism, including knives known as "switch-blades" or any other type or kind of knife, any blade of which is more than two and one-half inches in length, ordinary razor or other dangerous weapon except that no person 18 years of age or under shall carry concealed on or about his person, any knife, the blade of which is two inches in length or longer.

Good to know... but this does not apply to the suburbs, correct? Only Chicago proper...

Thanks!

Here is the code:

Good to know... but this does not apply to the suburbs, correct? Only Chicago proper...

Thanks!

This ordinance applies to Chicago. However, a few other communities in Illinois, such as Peoria, have ordinances concerning the possession and carry of knives. Check out http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf.

Archived