ISP Message to CCL Instructors

Molly B.

As part of the Illinois State Police (ISP) Firearm Services Bureau’s (FSB) ongoing efforts to make the FOID and CCL application process more accessible to the public, we are reaching out to all ISP-certified firearms instructors to determine your interest in being listed as an instructor offering FOID and CCL application services. We are aware several instructors currently provide this assistance. Additionally, FSB would like to offer the public a list of instructors able to assist, not only with applications, but also name/address changes, lost or destroyed requests and renewals. If you are interested in being listed as an instructor who can provide these services, please reply to this email and enter your Name/Business Name, Phone Number and Location into the cells below before clicking send.

NAME/BUSINESS NAME

PHONE

STREET

CITY

COUNTY

Illinois State Police

Firearms Services Bureau

Concealed Carry Unit

ISP.CCW.Illinois

ISP.CCW.Illinois@illinois.gov

Now:

They can’t handle the load and do their job properly. So, rather than staff up or fix the process, ISP wants to make it appear as if they are getting the instructors and FFLs involved - by having them do what they already are doing - for free (no cost to ISP) to make it look like ISP is actually doing something.

Fast forward a year or two:

The process is being messed up because of all of the instructors and FFLs being involved in the mix. They aren’t doing things consistently so we cannot process things efficiently. It’s THEIR fault because they demand to be involved.

In the meantime:

No real change for the public. The system doesn’t handle the load and ISP isn’t meeting the mandated timeframes. Either before, or after, this “change”.

How will this speed up the process? The main delay ISP is having is running backgrounds.

Ernie's Arms Accessories

This isn’t for NICS checks but for applications, renewals and corrections of FOID and CCL cards.

After the application is completed, ISP runs a bcg check on you which consists of checking databases in multiple agencies. That's what's taking the longest time, completing the bcg check. Proofreading an application for errors should be a piece of cake for whoever's job that is in the FSB. Unless those people who do that job are dropping like flies and new inexperienced people keep getting hired.

Sounds to me like they want the instructors to process the apps and send them in.

And since there is a segment of the people who don’t have online access we would supply that service along with the help of filling out the app.

Then of course when it takes 6 months to get a FOID or CCL the ISP can lay it on the instructors for the delay or incorrect information.

Which would then give those folks reason the speak (can’t type correct word) to us about the timelines instead of calling or e-mailing the ISP.

We would be the new buffer between the raging customers and the ISP! No?

Sounds to me like they want the instructors to process the apps and send them in.

And since there is a segment of the people who don’t have online access we would supply that service along with the help of filling out the app.

Then of course when it takes 6 months to get a FOID or CCL the ISP can lay it on the instructors for the delay or incorrect information.

Which would then give those folks reason the speak (can’t type correct word) to us about the timelines instead of calling or e-mailing the ISP.

We would be the new buffer between the raging customers and the ISP! No?

44010677.jpg

There is a good chance instructors will be charging a fee for their services. Rightfully so, so should a portion of the IL CCL fees be prorated to the instructors, or will that be another fee for IL Citizens to exercise their constitutional rights.

I think they want to get away from the phone in citizens that are not capable of the online process to free that work load.

That was my take on it. I suppose they will take any help they can get.

Would be interested in knowing status of new $750000 phone system, the 10 outstanding FSB job offers and the 20 open positions they posted.

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive.

Archived