Prohibited Carry Zones - 23 Categories

Molly B.

Someone needs to make an legalize-to-English translation of these.

I guess Post Offices are prohibited by #3? How are we supposed to know what’s controlled by the legislative or executive branch?

They call that "test cases" then we have tested the legal language. Cook County is probably has a sign up sheet LOL

So in other words, we can have it in our cars, to our friends house, and back to our house...lol

I carried all over Springfield March 4-6th - all the restaurants, gas stations, shopping. Yes, the list is extensive and burdensome but let's not mislead folks into thinking they cannot carry anywhere. Keep in mind the moms and dads in urban areas can now carry while taking their kids to and from school, passing through dangerous gang territory. People all over the state can carry all day long without finding themselves in a no carry zone.

But we will keep in mind and keep warning everyone that "gun-free zones are killing zones".

This gives a new meaning to Mayor Emanuel's "Safe Passage Zones".

Someone needs to make an legalize-to-English translation of these.

I guess Post Offices are prohibited by #3? How are we supposed to know what’s controlled by the legislative or executive branch?

Post Offices are prohibited by rule #23, federal building. They will have the federal version of the GFZ sign posted somewhere inside. There are ongoing attempts to get this changed at the federal level, and some will argue that the federal law actually allows licensed carry inside. The actual law contains wording to the effect of an exception for those on "official business", or "lawful business" or something similar.

I looked it up. Says "lawful purposes". Still considered illegal to carry there.

T

• 2 weeks later...

I've carried everyday in Chicago for almost two weeks now. I've been presently surprised that I've only had to disarm once and that was to enter my sons high school which was NOT posted (yet).

I've transported legally on CTA trains and buses. While technically disarming, it's still within reach if required.

All in all not too bad so far. Just my two cents.

An unloaded firearm is still a firearm and firearms are prohibited. I hope your not the test case on this one.

The ISP conforming signs are not a blanket ban on firearms.

No, unless it's under the control of a college.

(15) Any building, classroom, laboratory, medical clinic, hospital, artistic venue, athletic venue, entertainment venue, officially recognized university-related organization property, whether owned or leased, and any real property, including parking areas, sidewalks, and common areas under the control of a public or private community college, college, or university.

Edited by TyGuy

I have carried (except at work) for about a month and the only time I came to a zone was gonig in my bank. Keep in mind if you look at the zones the whole purpose to to keep "possible" confrontation, which you should avoid anyway, from happening.

I can't carry 5 days of the week unless I drive to work. This GFZ needs to be nullified ASAP, the CTA is a tax black hole that happens to be unreliable, dirty and unsafe and requires me to leave my gun at home. I'm fully aware of getting around that with transport laws but how cumbersome is that:

-leave home with gun holstered

-walk 5 minutes to train stop

-secretly switch to transport mode, somehow

-ride train for 45 minutes

-Exit train and secretly reholster

-Walk for 5 minutes to my building's bathroom and secure gun for the day in suitcase

My building isn't posted but my company issued a memo prohibiting conceal carry which is fine, I'll respect that even if it doesn't have the force of law, I can have it within arms reach in a suitcase on my desk and no one has to know about it. However the fact that I can't carry on public transportation is why I don't bother with carrying daily, too much juggling around to stay legal.

I'm in a similar situation.

Holster at home

Drive 10 min to Metra Station: Switch to transport

Ride Metra to CUS: stay in Transport because it is GFZ

Walk out of CUS to my building across the river: stay in transport mode, my building is posted

Work has a no firearms policy while working: so I guess I would have to keep it hidden and don't get caught or lose job.

So for me my only real choices M-F are:

Holster to Metra Station: Store in locked vehicle

Pray all day long that car is untouched: I've had it vandalized to have my gas siphoned out before

Get back to vehicle and reholster and drive home.

or leave it at home 5 days a week.

I work for a company that has a policy of termination on the spot if a weapon is found in your vehicle. So I can't carry and I drive through e. St. Louis each day... so does the law allow me to store my weapon on my companies parking lot and store in car? Is that a violation.

You can't be arrested for storing in your car against company policy but you can be fired for it.

But why and how would anyone know you placed a gun in your vehicle? I wouldn't be announcing it for fear of theft never mind getting fired.

ETA: Unless you work in a location defined under 430 ILCS 66/65 (a)(22) or (23) - Nuclear or Federally prohibited - as mentioned in 66/65 ( b )

Edited by mbrich

I wonder how long and what it's going to take to shorten that GFZ list. If I ever get attacked on public transportation or in a park, my lawyer will have a field day.

I would like to not visit you in a hospital (mostly because it would mean you got hurt, but also because I can't carry there).

Molly, Todd, and others are working diligently. It won't happen over night, but I'm pretty sure they will relax in the future. In the mean time, stick to pepper spray and a pocket knife.

Haha thanks for the kind words. I've survived 22 years so far without really getting into any fights. However these aren't things that you can plan in advance and even despite being street smart and not looking like an easy prey, if I ever find myself in a situation where my gun could have been useful instead of sitting under my desk, the state will hear from me and my lawyer.

I dont know I have been carrying in the sw burbs and southside of Chiraq for about three weeks and only ran into two signs, one of which came down within a week of them being carded by myself and a few other freedom loving people. Heck my work even changed it's policy concerning guns in the parking lot from instant termination to no problem as long as you stay within the law. I will admit I have changed my method of carrying to pocket carry on workdays because trying to slip holsters and mag carriers on and off a belt is a bit of a hassle.

Since the law says that the listed prohibited places will be posted, does that mean that until they get around to posting you can assume concealed carry is not prohibited? And while some of the wording is straightforward, like schools, hospitals, government buildings, some seem vague like "entertainment venue" and "artistic venue".

Since the law says that the listed prohibited places will be posted, does that mean that until they get around to posting you can assume concealed carry is not prohibited? And while some of the wording is straightforward, like schools, hospitals, government buildings, some seem vague like "entertainment venue" and "artistic venue".

The law says "A licensee under this Act shall not knowingly carry a firearm on or into...".

In my opinion, that is what it means.

It does not mean "A licensee under this Act shall not knowingly carry a firearm on or into unless it is unloaded and encased" or "A licensee under this Act shall not knowingly carry a firearm on or into unless the banned location did not bother to post a sign".

Until the courts say otherwise or the legislature changes the language, I have no desire to be the test case for the theory that because it is inconvenient for FCCL that the law's clear language does not mean what it says.

Edited by bob

I have a question about numbers 9 and 11 as it applies to VFW and American Legion Halls. We have posted at our VFW hall because we have a canteen (bar) and we clearly make more than 50% of our revenue from alcohol sales (#9) and we have a rental hall which has a seperate liquor license for when we rent the Hall (#11). Do we have to post since we are not open to the public, but are technically a private "members only" club? Does #11 apply to our rental hall? And most importantly, can the owner of an establishment carry on his or her own business property even if it is a prohibited place? So even if we have to post, can the members of the post (technically the owners) carry on the property if #9 does apply, but I am not sure it does since we are technically a private club. (our liquor license says specifically not open to the public)?

I know there is a bill in the House that is trying to make VFW and Legion Halls prohibited places, but I thought that under #9 and #11 we were already. Am I wrong?

Edited by blueliner

As for the members being "technically the owners", I think that is doubtful in a legal sense. Among other things, it would make for an all but unworkable situation when a member passed on as his heirs tried to divvy up his share of the club assets.

You can't carry in the bar. It is a bar regardless of whether it is open to the public or not as the law does not specify whether or not it is open to the public and what the law actually says, is what it means.

As for #11, it specifies a particular license - "Special Event Retailer's license as defined in Section 1-3.17.1". If this is the license being issued to the club for serving liquor in the rental hall, that hall is also banned. If it is some other license than maybe not unless 50% of the proceeds come from liquor sales. I have been to several events at Legion and VFW halls. It would not surprise me at all if the 50% rule covered those events. There was a lot of booze flowing and the events featured food brought in and not sold by the club so other than the popcorn they were selling, 100% of the proceeds was from liquor sales.