This girl needs help!

Sam12

I am a smaller framed female who owns Springfields XD mod2 4". I am ready to carry, but it's much too large for my frame. Any ideas on what I should check out while hunting for an appropriate sized gun? This one is so large that it starts at my belly button and ends up on my leg.

I would ideally like it to hold a larger amount of rounds, but if I have to have an extra mag instead I can accept that.

Glock 42, Glock 43, Sig P938 just to offer a few. I have the G42 & G43, and keep eyeing the P938.

I wasn't a fan of Glocks and ended up with the Springfield. Iv'e noticed the Glocks are much lighter as my husband has one. Thank's for the additions to my list. It helps me avoid renting multiple guns. I'm obviously a newbie and have had some really great instructors, but am cautious not to purchase without some input by more seasoned enthusiasts!

I am a smaller framed female who owns Springfields XD mod2 4". I am ready to carry, but it's much too large for my frame. Any ideas on what I should check out while hunting for an appropriate sized gun? This one is so large that it starts at my belly button and ends up on my leg.

I would ideally like it to hold a larger amount of rounds, but if I have to have an extra mag instead I can accept that.

Considering you own an " XD mod.2 4" if you are happy with the feel of the firearm, you could try the XD Mod.2 sub-compact in 3". You might even look to entertain the XD-S in 3.3". The XD-S and Glock 42 / 43 are single stacks. I personally like Glock. These are just a couple striker fire suggestions, I am assuming you are not interested in a hammer fire pistol

I know the single stack might not meet you're criteria and I too feel more comfortable with capacity, make sure you keep in mind that the FBI concluded the average " gun fight " with a semi automatic pistol ends in 2.54 shots fired. So most " gun fights " do not even last 3 rounds. Obviously you can not take that statistic into consideration when you have an active threat with unknown intention. It is just something to take into consideration when choosing you're carry firearm. The statistic is mixed with an array of scenarios, but the point is you want a firearm that you can conceal and carry comfortably. If the double stack like a Glock 26 is printing and not comfortable because of the added thickness over the Glock 43 ( single stack ) that might give you a reason not to carry on a day when you are wearing more fitted clothing like a tank top etc. That being said you're better off with 6 rounds on you than 15 at home.

Lastly, after you have done you're research go ahead and rent a few, make sure you fire at least 50 rounds out of each potential candidate because I thought the FNS9 was going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but after renting it I was even more impressed with my Glock. I'm sure the next guy swears by his FNS9 over a G17 / G19, to each his own that is why you really need to rent and see what you like. The Glock has a very low bore axis which I absolutely love, but my friend likes the high bore axis of a Sig Sauer P320 ( he says it gives him better feedback and he can not shot a Glock no where near as well as his P320 ). Good luck

My wife is rather petite (4' 10") and has small hands.

After a bunch of looking and trying various pistols at the range, she eventually decided on the Sig Sauer P238 HD.

The HD model has an alloy frame and weighs 4oz more than the polymer frame models and significantly reduces the felt recoil.

-Keith.

My XD is pretty heavy so I am sure it weighs less! Thanks for the input!

Considering you own an " XD mod.2 4" if you are happy with the feel of the firearm, you could try the XD Mod.2 sub-compact in 3". You might even look to entertain the XD-S in 3.3". The XD-S and Glock 42 / 43 are single stacks. I personally like Glock. These are just a couple striker fire suggestions, I am assuming you are not interested in a hammer fire pistol

I know the single stack might not meet you're criteria and I too feel more comfortable with capacity, make sure you keep in mind that the FBI concluded the average " gun fight " with a semi automatic pistol ends in 2.54 shots fired. So most " gun fights " do not even last 3 rounds. Obviously you can not take that statistic into consideration when you have an active threat with unknown intention. It is just something to take into consideration when choosing you're carry firearm. The statistic is mixed with an array of scenarios, but the point is you want a firearm that you can conceal and carry comfortably. If the double stack like a Glock 26 is printing and not comfortable because of the added thickness over the Glock 43 ( single stack ) that might give you a reason not to carry on a day when you are wearing more fitted clothing like a tank top etc. That being said you're better off with 6 rounds on you than 15 at home.

Lastly, after you have done you're research go ahead and rent a few, make sure you fire at least 50 rounds out of each potential candidate because I thought the FNS9 was going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but after renting it I was even more impressed with my Glock. I'm sure the next guy swears by his FNS9 over a G17 / G19, to each his own that is why you really need to rent and see what you like. The Glock has a very low bore axis which I absolutely love, but my friend likes the high bore axis of a Sig Sauer P320 ( he says it gives him better feedback and he can not shot a Glock no where near as well as his P320 ). Good luck

I will take a look at the XD-S. I don't think I have even held that model. I am willing to give up capacity at this point. I was in denial on the actual size of my body and the fact that clothing can only cover so much regardless of size. You're right about the clothing.. I am not going to want to be fully dressed on the hot days this summer. I plan on trying two rentals on each visit to the range until I fall in love. I also plan to take private lessons, but want to wait till I have my conceal carry as I would like to know the gun I carry around to protect myself and the kids!

Thank you!

Looks like most agree. With firearms however it's a constant debate at the range and really comes down to personal preference. Personally I carry a 9mm, but don't let ppl scare you away from .380 if that is comfortable for you. Either will get the job done if God forbid you ever need it to.

Sig p238 / p938 are my favorite.

Can't really go wrong with Glocks 42 / 43

S&W shield. I just bought this one simply because it is $300 after rebate. It is actually great and even after my note below I would recommend this firearm. Small and approx same size as glock 43, but definitely larger than the p938.

Note: my shield would be out of battery even with exaggerated slingshot (even after initial cleaning). Googled and seems to be a common issue. Put 200 rounds through it and hasn't had a single problem since.

Springfield has some deal that includes 4 magazines, but I don't recall which firearm it applies to AND they just sold us out and backed SB-1657 so I'm done with them until something happens there.

I like the Kel-tec 9 mm PF9, the Sig 938. I'm 5'3".

I owned a PF9 for several years and just recently sold it to a close family member. It was very accurate and I never had any problems with it.

Another very similar firearm you might want to consider is the Ruger LC9s If you want a 9 MM pistol. If you are interested in a .380 , I like my new Ruger LCP II .

Others have made good suggestions also. . Best advice go to a gun store / range and handle them and find out what feels good in your hand . Then shoot them . Have fun during your selection process.

I am a guy roughly the same size as Molly and I have arthritic hands. The Kahr CM9 is a great little gun but the recoil spring was way too stiff for me, so I traded it for a 9mm Shield. I really wanted to like the Shield based on all the rave reviews but alas it was also too stiff for me. and the pistol never felt quite right in my hand.

When I finally tried a Glock 43 I knew I found the right EDC for me, and I ended up getting a G42 too. The slides are nice and smooth and they fit my hand perfectly.

I talked at length to a female FFL dealer at a gun show and she said the Springfield XD-S's recoil spring was comparable to the Shield's. and the Walther PPS M2 was comparable to the Glock 43. Good luck with your search.

Glock 43, S&W Shield and Ruger LC9s are all good 9mm carry guns. Most of the time I carry my LC9s because standard mag is 7 rounds (+1 in the chamber) and the extended mag is 9 rounds. For summer I like the S&W bodyguard 380 or Ruger LCP2. Both are a bit snappy but nice and small for summer carry.

Archived