First IGOLD

Uncle Harley

I don't know what to say about today, the opposition says we are radical, crazy, mean spirited and a whole list of other adjectives. However, what I witnessed today warms my heart and makes me proud to be an Illinois Gun owner. Today I took my 5 yr old daughter with me so I could share my first IGOLD with my best friend ( I know kids need parents not friends, but it's the truth and I don't mind being a parent when she needs it) Anyways, she started feeling a little under the weather on the last leg of the bus ride, and by the time we got to the convention center she was ready to sleep. She slept through the entire thing even through all the clapping and cheering. When it was time to march, she was really feeling ill so I carried her the 8 blocks to the capitol bld. No sooner when we got there, she vomited on the lawn. I found our Host our very own Abolt and He went out of his way to make sure the bus driver came back to pick us up early, and the bus driver even took me by a walgreens to get her something for her stomach. Once everyone was back on the bus, the people in the back were kind enough to give up their seats so my daughter could sit next to the bathroom. Eventually I struck up a conversation with the gentleman sitting in front of me, He was getting off at Litchfield. There was talk of stopping there for a few min so people could hit the tractor supply because when we stopped there on the way to pick people up some of us noticed a sweet deal on some bb guns, and one gentleman was planning on purchasing several for a youth group. I made the comment in passing that I hoped that there was a pink one left, because my daughter deserved one for being such a trooper today. He offered to go in and buy it so I could stay on the bus. I respectfully declined, and when we got there, I asked my daughter if she would be ok while I ran into the store. A very nice lady offered to keep an eye on her so I went in and purchased her bb gun. Not 4 min after I got back the gentleman that was sitting in front of me returned to the bus with a pink bb gun. He said I didn't see you get off the bus and wanted to make sure she got something good out of the day ( Or something to that effect I was so shocked at his generosity I was stunned) This man wouldn't return it or take anything, and I thanked him, but in my shock I forgot to ask his name. So kind Sir who exited at Litchfield. THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN! And I want you to know that it will be put to good use. The neighbor ( the guy I rode with) has a daughter that is about my daughters age so we payed it forward and she now has her first bb gun, If you do read this, send me a message, and next time I'm in that area, I will buy you a drink and shake your hand. To everyone one else, THANK YOU SO MUCH for your patience with me and my sick daughter, and thank you for making us feel like family.

I don't know what to say about today, the opposition says we are radical, crazy, mean spirited and a whole list of other adjectives. However, what I witnessed today warms my heart and makes me proud to be an Illinois Gun owner. Today I took my 5 yr old daughter with me so I could share my first IGOLD with my best friend ( I know kids need parents not friends, but it's the truth and I don't mind being a parent when she needs it) Anyways, she started feeling a little under the weather on the last leg of the bus ride, and by the time we got to the convention center she was ready to sleep. She slept through the entire thing even through all the clapping and cheering. When it was time to march, she was really feeling ill so I carried her the 8 blocks to the capitol bld. No sooner when we got there, she vomited on the lawn. I found our Host our very own Abolt and He went out of his way to make sure the bus driver came back to pick us up early, and the bus driver even took me by a walgreens to get her something for her stomach. Once everyone was back on the bus, the people in the back were kind enough to give up their seats so my daughter could sit next to the bathroom. Eventually I struck up a conversation with the gentleman sitting in front of me, He was getting off at Litchfield. There was talk of stopping there for a few min so people could hit the tractor supply because when we stopped there on the way to pick people up some of us noticed a sweet deal on some bb guns, and one gentleman was planning on purchasing several for a youth group. I made the comment in passing that I hoped that there was a pink one left, because my daughter deserved one for being such a trooper today. He offered to go in and buy it so I could stay on the bus. I respectfully declined, and when we got there, I asked my daughter if she would be ok while I ran into the store. A very nice lady offered to keep an eye on her so I went in and purchased her bb gun. Not 4 min after I got back the gentleman that was sitting in front of me returned to the bus with a pink bb gun. He said I didn't see you get off the bus and wanted to make sure she got something good out of the day ( Or something to that effect I was so shocked at his generosity I was stunned) This man wouldn't return it or take anything, and I thanked him, but in my shock I forgot to ask his name. So kind Sir who exited at Litchfield. THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN! And I want you to know that it will be put to good use. The neighbor ( the guy I rode with) has a daughter that is about my daughters age so we payed it forward and she now has her first bb gun, If you do read this, send me a message, and next time I'm in that area, I will buy you a drink and shake your hand. To everyone one else, THANK YOU SO MUCH for your patience with me and my sick daughter, and thank you for making us feel like family.

Awwwwww.

One thing I noted today, was all the kids I saw. High school age kids. I wonder if some home-school group went to igold.

guys let me tell you, the neighbor girl called to thank Natalie for the bb gun, and it was PRICELESS! you would have never thought Nat was sick at all today, she got very excited about teaching her friend how to shoot, and they are making plans already. It was the icing on the cake of an emotional roller coaster of a day, and I choked back the tears of pride when I heard her tell her little friend " first thing you need to know is this is not a toy, make sure you don't touch it unless your dad helps" Then you gotta make sure you keep your finger off the trigger untill you are ready and always point it safely. " She is already asking if she can go back next yr if she feels better by then LOL What a challenging yet wonder full day!

DAD You did a good job with the future shooter.

No apologies needed about what happened with that young lady. Most all of us are parents and have gone thru the same sort of things. Children do feel our excitement and sometimes they just get overloaded and things happen.

Your daughter just had a trip with a caring DAD she will never forget. I am proud of both you and your daughter.

And a tip of my hat to ALL of the bus drivers that helped make this a day to remember. My driver got on the road at about 4 30 this mourning and does not expect to get back to the yard till around 10 PM.

Uncle Harley

As one of my jobs for next year I have been told to get all of the parents with children at the very front of the parade. These young folks are the reason we are marching.

DAD You did a good job with the future shooter.

No apologies needed about what happened with that young lady. Most all of us are parents and have gone thru the same sort of things. Children do feel our excitement and sometimes they just get overloaded and things happen.

Your daughter just had a trip with a caring DAD she will never forget. I am proud of both you and your daughter.

And a tip of my hat to ALL of the bus drivers that helped make this a day to remember. My driver got on the road at about 4 30 this mourning and does not expect to get back to the yard till around 10 PM.

Uncle Harley

As one of my jobs for next year I have been told to get all of the parents with children at the very front of the parade. These young folks are the reason we are marching.

Thank you, and that's awsome! If you need help, let me know. I heard one thing that stuck out today that I had never quite heard it put that way before. Freedom is one thing that each generation must fight for, it can not be inherited. As the anti's would say. " let's do it for the children!"

I'm proud to have shared the day with Harley and Natalie. While I'm sure that the little girl just had a spot of a bug, the HUGE strawberry covered in chocolate that she tried to eat at lunch (part by consumption and part by adsorption!) might have contributed just a touch to her upset tummy! Sweet little girl.

Harley negected to tell you that they started the day by presenting me with a large box of Hostess Cupcakes based on an off the wall remark I made here on a thread a few days ago!! Thank you Natalie!

Glad she's feeling better, she has a great Daddy that will take care of her no matter the "cost" to him.

AB

Awwww....the IL legislature even makes little kids want to vomit. :ph34r:

LMAO! You know.................... I said something very similar to this to my wife when we got home. I said most days when I watch live floor coverage, I want to vomit, other days I want to go take a dump on the lawn! LOL I did see a lady with a dog today :)

Some one PM'd me the kind gentleman's name and since they didn't post it here, I will keep in anonymous as well unless they tell me it's ok.

I think everyone involved in this story deserves a big "Thanks!" and "Way To Go!". Seeing the marchers, including women and children really brightened my week.

I'm told his name was Adam Evans, he is the commander of the Hilsboro VFW and member of the Litchfield National guard. Here is a pic of Nat with her gun, she is feeling a little better today. http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj40/UncleHarleysAntlerArt/Pinkgun.jpg

As I was reading your story I thought to myself that I bet I saw you with her. I distinctly remember seeing you holding her and thinking to myself poor thing is either sick or just tuckered out. It was when we were at the steps getting ready to go in that I saw you. What a trooper!

Uncle Harley

Thanks for the update on Nat's health and the photo. And yes the finger IS away from the trigger.

A job well done DAD

Next year get that young lady to the very front of the parade.

To be able to protect the ones that can not is what this is all about.

One year I would like to see 5-6 rows deep of folks with the young ones walking at Molly Bs heels. Then bring on ALL of those smiling ladies that do a great job of leading the parade.

But this is Mollie Bs parade and I am just another DIRTY OLD MAN with a dream. :rolleyes:

As I was reading your story I thought to myself that I bet I saw you with her. I distinctly remember seeing you holding her and thinking to myself poor thing is either sick or just tuckered out. It was when we were at the steps getting ready to go in that I saw you. What a trooper!

Yeah, Her mom called while we were on the steps and that is when she broke down and started crying she REALLY wanted her momma then.........she feels good enough now she's done got herself in trouble LOL

Next year get that young lady to the very front of the parade.

To be able to protect the ones that can not is what this is all about.

One year I would like to see 5-6 rows deep of folks with the young ones walking at Molly Bs heels. Then bring on ALL of those smiling ladies that do a great job of leading the parade.

But this is Mollie Bs parade and I am just another DIRTY OLD MAN with a dream. rolleyes.gif

Now there's an idea, after all, how many times do we hear "It's for the children" from the other side??

AB

Uncle Harley, I've had the honor of meeting Abolt, together with MollyB and a few others from the board, at a Springfield meeting with the infamous TVandermyde. And I believe that you couldn't have found a better person to assist you through difficult times than Abolt. I've sought his advice more than once here on the board - and I'm sure that I will again.

That said, I'm sorry that your little girl had such a difficult time during her first IGOLD and I hope she doesn't shy away from attending next year. That picture of her holding her first shooter definitely belongs in the family photo album!

I think everyone involved in this story deserves a big "Thanks!" and "Way To Go!". Seeing the marchers, including women and children really brightened my week.

What I noticed, beyond the usual "fat old white guy" demographic, were young adults, including young couples sometimes with kids, and a bunch of what appeared to be high school students.

Archived