Quinn signs IL universal background checks into law

BIGDEESUL

I am OK with calling into an 800 number to verify that a purchaser's FOID card number is valid, as long as the 800 number is computerized and available 24/7/365...

But I don't see how this helps to keep guns out of the hands of criminals. It doesn't stop a criminal from falsely reporting a gun stolen/lost "within 72 hours", then selling it during that 72 hour time window to a non-FOID holder.

Allow me to correct you. Illinois has Universal Background Checks, and has had them for many years. They are tied up in the FOID Act. Possession of firearms without FOID is unlawful. FOID issuance mandates background check. Thus, you already have UBC in Illinois. Let's not go needlessly splitting hairs. FOID cards are background checks, and now this new mandate that some hotline be called is basically a redundancy.

But at some level, you are correct that they are not universal ... because not included are those folks who do not comply with the law.

The FOID itself does not amount to a UBC because it doesn't magically disappear from someones wallet if they get convicted of a felony or any other disqualifying offense

However, the ISP has admitted they pretty much run background checks on the entire FOID database every day so verifying the validity of a FOID does equal universal background checks for IL

We all know the only purpose of both of these laws is as a step to Universal Background checks and Universal Registration. After this law, they will be able to build a gun registry of all firearms owned by citizens (over time). It will make it very easy for them if they ever can muster the political will for confiscation. By itself, it is only a minor annoyance. But what it leads up to is scary beyond belief.

misleading head line. It's not a good law by any means in my opinion, but is also not universal background checks. Not yet anyways.

misleading head line. It's not a good law by any means in my opinion, but is also not universal background checks. Not yet anyways.

The ISP has said they run checks on the FOID database on a more or less daily basis to ensure any FOIDs that should be revoked are revoked. So these are universal background checks because the ISP basically does a background check on each and every one of us every single day

The more I think bout it, it can be a registration of sorts. Call in give them the FOID number, comes back clear, check next to there name with the date showing that s/he purchased a firearm.

Which is why I'm going to call in daily with my FOID card.

ILSP: Holy Crap! That guy has 33,000+ guns!

Whats the number I'll start now !!!!!!!!!!!!! :frantics: :fear: :drool:

We all know the only purpose of both of these laws is as a step to Universal Background checks and Universal Registration. After this law, they will be able to build a gun registry of all firearms owned by citizens (over time). It will make it very easy for them if they ever can muster the political will for confiscation. By itself, it is only a minor annoyance. But what it leads up to is scary beyond belief.

Reading the bill it seems like only the FOID information is entered, no make, model or serial number which is needed to build a registry.

Do I understand that correctly?

Reading the bill it seems like only the FOID information is entered, no make, model or serial number which is needed to build a registry.

Do I understand that correctly?

Still gives them a good idea of who bought a gun and when

The ISP retains logs of many times an FTIP check has been called in with your FOID number. So they know how many guns you've had transferred to you through an FFL. Now, I'm several light because of FTF sales but they can still demand the records there.

Any statutory registration scheme at the federal level would be a blatant violation of the Due Process Clause contained within the Fifth Amendment as those who are barred from owning firearms cannot be forced to register their firearms as found in Haynes (forcing felons/others prohibited to incriminate themselves thus violating the Self-incimination Clause) thus creating two distinct classes of citizens, felons would be a de facto protected class. Or if the statutory scheme is enacted by the state, it is a blatant violation of the Equal Protection Clause for the same reason although there is no clear case law regarding state schemes but the same reasoning applies. I'm not saying they wouldn't do if as several states have done it. I'm simply saying it's a facial violation of either the Fifth or the 14th.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

In a free society, you would have the choice to transfer to an unknown private party via an FFL, thus requiring a 4473 and NICS. However, since we live in Illinois and not a free society, we now have a law forcing us to do this. My dad now cannot pass down a duck gun to me without calling into the ISP?

I am sure all of the street gun dealers will have this ISP hotline on speed dial...

Please take time to read the bill. http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/98/HB/PDF/09800HB1189lv.pdf

Does not apply to:

(2) transfers as a bona fide gift to the transferor's

husband, wife, son, daughter, stepson, stepdaughter,

father, mother, stepfather, stepmother, brother, sister,

nephew, niece, uncle, aunt, grandfather, grandmother,

grandson, granddaughter, father-in-law, mother-in-law,

son-in-law, or daughter-in-law;

I agree with not wanting firearms getting in the wrong hands, but maybe they should enforce the laws already in place, as in physically taking the foid away from somebody, instead of us hsving to verify the validity of the foid in question. And if theres a recorded transaction number for every transfer, the state has basically started a registry of all firearms. I haven't had the time to read the full text of the bill (like I usually do, and will do si as soon as I get home), but that's what I'm getting from this.

There is no provision for providing make, model, and serial number, only the FOID number.

In a free society, you would have the choice to transfer to an unknown private party via an FFL, thus requiring a 4473 and NICS. However, since we live in Illinois and not a free society, we now have a law forcing us to do this. My dad now cannot pass down a duck gun to me without calling into the ISP?

I am sure all of the street gun dealers will have this ISP hotline on speed dial...

Please take time to read the bill. Does not apply to:

So not my grand-niece?

The more I think bout it, it can be a registration of sorts. Call in give them the FOID number, comes back clear, check next to there name with the date showing that s/he purchased a firearm.

Which is why I'm going to call in daily with my FOID card.

ILSP: Holy Crap! That guy has 33,000+ guns!

Ha ha we should all do this!

I think Ty's on to something. The call is not for the purchase of a firearm per se, it's to check the validity of a foid card. No reason not to check to make sure your foid is still valid now and then... There's no way to really tie a call to an actual sale.

Please take time to read the bill. Does not apply to:

So not my grand-niece?

If anyone asks say you gave it to your brother and he gave it to his granddaughter, or some other lawful path of ownership :)

Except why else would you be calling in an FTIP check other than to check the validity of a transferee's FOID card? I know my card is valid I don't need to call it in. The only reason I'd be calling in a FOID # is to check the validity prior to making a transfer. Plus they haven't addressed the fee, are we gonna be charged the standard $2 or is that waived. Not to mention whenever my FFL calls in an FTIP check for a transfer, delay. Not just me either, more like everyone according to him. So how's it gonna work when God knows how many more people are calling in checks. I don't know if I'm delayed because they're dragging or because...I dunno heh but my FFL gets the proceed like one or two minutes later, my name is apparently very common (first, middle initial, last) as I ran it against the Wisconsin court record database and found a dozen cases with the defendant having the same first, middle initial, last.

I'm a bit confused as to how many publications calls this bill "universal background check".?

Seems as if, from what I could find, it only moves the state TOWARD UBCs.

"HB 1189 amends the FOID Card Act to require that a private party who sells or transfers a firearm use ISP’s dial-up system to verify that the buyer or transferee holds a valid FOID card before making the sale or transfer."

That is NOT a universal background check.

It just validates the possession of a valid FOID. Which, as I recall, Illinois residents are requried to do now already. Aren't you supposed to keep your buyer's FOID numer for 10 years anyway?

And there is no record of the sale.

More BS - yes.

UBC - no.

But the sh** just keeps on rollin' down hill.

Allow me to correct you. Illinois has Universal Background Checks, and has had them for many years. They are tied up in the FOID Act. Possession of firearms without FOID is unlawful. FOID issuance mandates background check. Thus, you already have UBC in Illinois. Let's not go needlessly splitting hairs. FOID cards are background checks, and now this new mandate that some hotline be called is basically a redundancy.

But at some level, you are correct that they are not universal ... because not included are those folks who do not comply with the law.

Yes it is a back ground check,but for the time being,it isn't a registration.I expect that to change in the near future.

Except why else would you be calling in an FTIP check other than to check the validity of a transferee's FOID card? I know my card is valid I don't need to call it in. The only reason I'd be calling in a FOID # is to check the validity prior to making a transfer. Plus they haven't addressed the fee, are we gonna be charged the standard $2 or is that waived. Not to mention whenever my FFL calls in an FTIP check for a transfer, delay. Not just me either, more like everyone according to him. So how's it gonna work when God knows how many more people are calling in checks. I don't know if I'm delayed because they're dragging or because...I dunno heh but my FFL gets the proceed like one or two minutes later, my name is apparently very common (first, middle initial, last) as I ran it against the Wisconsin court record database and found a dozen cases with the defendant having the same first, middle initial, last.

OUTLAW!!!!! lol

Archived