Illinois General Assembly - CANCELLED

mauserme

News report says capitol building may contain Legionella bacteria. I am guess everyone is staying away until it can be properly mitigated.

I'm surprised it's news that Illinois' state building has bacteria. This may be the best time to lock them all in it. On the bright side, I wonder how much this saves all of us tax payers?

The irony would be the disease is named after the same biblical verse our speaker of the house introduces himself by.

My name is Madigan, for we are many.

The name refers to its out its outbreak at the American Legion Convention in Philadelphia in 1976.

“Legionnaires' disease is a form of atypical pneumonia caused by any type of Legionella bacteria.[4] Signs and symptoms include cough, shortness of breath, high fever, muscle pains, and headaches.[3] Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea may also occur.[1] This often begins two to ten days after being exposed.[3]

The bacterium is found naturally in fresh water.[5] It can contaminate hot water tanks, hot tubs, and cooling towers of large air conditioners.[5] It is usually spread by breathing in mist that contains the bacteria.[5] It can also occur when contaminated water is aspirated.[5] It typically does not spread directly between people and most people who are exposed do not become infected.[5]

The number of cases that occur globally is not known.[1] It is estimated that Legionnaires' disease is the cause of between two and nine percent of pneumonia cases that occur in the community.[1] There are an estimated 8,000 to 18,000 cases a year in the United States that require hospitalization.[10] Outbreaks of disease account for a minority of cases.[1][13] While it can occur any time of the year it is more common in the summer and fall.[10] The disease is named after the outbreak where it was first identified - the 1976 American Legion convention in Philadelphia”.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legionnaires%27_disease

“Legionella was discovered after an outbreak in 1976 among people who went to a Philadelphia convention of the American Legion. Those who were affected suffered from a type of pneumonia (lung infection) that eventually became known as Legionnaires’ disease.

The pictured magazine covers feature the work of public health professionals in 1976 as they raced to trace the origin of the first documented outbreak of Legionnaires’ disease in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.1

The first identified cases of Pontiac fever occurred in 1968 in Pontiac, Michigan, among people who worked at and visited the city’s health department. It wasn’t until Legionella was discovered after the 1976 outbreak in Philadelphia that public health officials were able to show that the same bacterium causes both diseases”.

https://www.cdc.gov/legionella/about/history.html

While not to the original topic, Legionnaire's Disease is nothing to take lightly.

During my remodeling career, I was doing an old-house basement that had been flooded. I contracted LD, then pneumonia, and wound up spending three days in the hospital, the only time in my life I've ever been sick more than a minor cold.

The attending told me that I was within 24 hours of dying when I was admitted, and that to a guy who was always as healthy as the proverbial horse.

So, yeah, if there's Legionnaire's around, I won't be, and you don't want to, either.

The entire capitol complex is being tested.

State Capitol

Michael J. Howlett Building

Illinois State Library

Illinois State Archives

William G. Stratton Building

Illinois State Museum

Willard Ice Building

Index Building

Illinois Attorney General Office

Appellate Court building

Central Management Services Computer Center

Secretary of State Warehouse

Secretary of State driver’s facilities

Secretary of State Power Plant

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The entire capitol complex is being tested. State Capitol Michael J. Howlett Building Illinois State Library Illinois State Archives William G. Stratton Building Illinois State Museum Willard Ice Building Index Building Illinois Attorney General Office Appellate Court building Central Management Services Computer Center Secretary of State Warehouse Secretary of State driver’s facilities Secretary of State Power Plant Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Russians!

Archived