Photo

Are The Lawyers Ready?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 soundguy

• Supporting Members Team
  • 5,650 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:49 PM

So, back to the original point of the post...with Putzker sitting int he gov's mansion and the Dems having a veto-proof majority (not that JB would veto any gun legislation that makes it to his desk anyway)...

1) Should we expect every anti-2A bill to pass despite our (and our lobbyists', God love 'em ) best efforts?

2) Will the downstate Dems vote party line (even though many really do not like JB and lean more centrist when it comes to Constitutional matters)?

3) As much as I hate compromise when it comes to 2A, will there be some compromising from both sides to avoid law-suits?

4) Should we just hinge all our bets on SCOTUS finally taking up an anti-2A case and (hopefully) ruling in our favor (if they even take it up)?

Serious answers, please. Everyone has mentioned moving out of state, boating accidents, alternative storage options, selling everything, etc.  Is that all we've got, or is it more nuanced than that? 

For a serious answer, I refer you to Mauserme:

None of us can predict the future so I'll reflect on the past.

We've faced super-majorities before.  We've faced vehemently anti-gun governors before.  I'm not trying to trivialize how seriously we need to take the situation, but it's rarely as bad as it looks on first glance.

Life is a cooperative venture... That's what makes it work.

#62 ILgunguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 11:48 AM

So, back to the original point of the post...with Putzker sitting int he gov's mansion and the Dems having a veto-proof majority (not that JB would veto any gun legislation that makes it to his desk anyway)...

1) Should we expect every anti-2A bill to pass despite our (and our lobbyists', God love 'em ) best efforts?

2) Will the downstate Dems vote party line (even though many really do not like JB and lean more centrist when it comes to Constitutional matters)?

3) As much as I hate compromise when it comes to 2A, will there be some compromising from both sides to avoid law-suits?

4) Should we just hinge all our bets on SCOTUS finally taking up an anti-2A case and (hopefully) ruling in our favor (if they even take it up)?

Serious answers, please. Everyone has mentioned moving out of state, boating accidents, alternative storage options, selling everything, etc.  Is that all we've got, or is it more nuanced than that? 

For a serious answer, I refer you to Mauserme:

None of us can predict the future so I'll reflect on the past.

We've faced super-majorities before.  We've faced vehemently anti-gun governors before.  I'm not trying to trivialize how seriously we need to take the situation, but it's rarely as bad as it looks on first glance.

I feel that way too, but I needed some reassurance.  

ISRA Member
NRA Life Endowment Member
IDPA Member and Safety Officer
3Gun Nation Member

#63 mikew

• Members
  • 4,329 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 10:44 AM

Yup. They can easily lose that supermajority.

2A is the only thing holding some downstate seats.

Which seats?

Are there any pro-2A downstate Dems left, come January?

#64 Flynn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 12:03 PM

Which seats?

I have never considered any downstate Dem really pro-2A, they are more so smoke and mirrors supporters that are easy targets of the antis, that will give 2A-rights away while grandstanding and saying "I tried, but we have to compromise" a polite way of saying Madigan called and corrected my bad ideas.

Edited by Flynn, 02 December 2018 - 12:04 PM.

Anonymous leakers, leak anonymously about the anonymous leak.

—Anonymous

#65 soundguy

• Supporting Members Team
  • 5,650 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 12:20 PM

Which seats?

I have never considered any downstate Dem really pro-2A, they are more so smoke and mirrors supporters that are easy targets of the antis, that will give 2A-rights away while grandstanding and saying "I tried, but we have to compromise" a polite way of saying Madigan called and corrected my bad ideas.

I don't have my scorecard handy...

There are pro gun Democrats in our legislature

There are anti gun Republicans in our legislature

The right to keep and bear arms needs to in the middle

Life is a cooperative venture... That's what makes it work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users