Any hikers out there? Question regarding water purification

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Camar10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:53 PM

I plan on hiking the Shawnee and surrounding areas this spring and was curious about water purification. What is your preference on cleaning your drinking water.  Boiling? Water pills? or Some type of filter?

I believe i will do both the tabs and Filter but was just curious what some more experienced folks do?

#2 speedbump

• Members
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 02:10 PM

I have an MSR squeeze filter, plus tablets. It works great. Be prepared for LOTS of mosquitos, a Thermacel plus spray and head net will be advisable. If possible, preplan water pickup if you hit civilization periodically.
"The struggle may be a moral one, or it may be a physical one, or it may be both. But it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will."

~Frederick Douglass~

#3 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 02:31 PM

MMmmm spillway, giant city, places I loved visiting when I was at SIU.

...and justice for all

YOUR WALLET, the only place Democrats care to drill

#4 snuzzo29

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 02:59 PM

I use a Sawyer Squeeze for my water filter. It works as a squeeze filter, inline filter and gravity filter and is easy to backflush/clean. I also carry purification tablets my first aid kit as a just in case. Each purification technique has their pros and cons. Filters clog and need to be back flushed or cleaned, tablets take time to work and water needs to be measured, boiling takes time and water needs to cool after.

#5 skrapyard

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 03:16 PM

I have one of the lifestraw bottles. I will usually remove the filter and fill it with clean water before I head out from camp. Then I can put the filter back on and fill it up when I find a water source while hiking. And I also keep a supply of the tablets with me that I will use in a 5 gallon collapsible water bag that I use at campsites that dont have potable water. 

Here is a link to the bottle. I think I paid around $30 for it.  

https://www.lifestra...ts/lifestraw-go

When you're betting for stones in an archery contest, you shoot with skill.
When you're betting for fancy belt buckles, you worry about your aim. And when you're betting for real gold, you're a nervous wreck. Your skill is the same in all three cases - but because one prize means more to you than another, you let outside concerns weigh on your mind. He who looks too hard at the outside gets clumsy on the inside. -Chuang Tzu

#6 Camar10

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 05:49 PM

My problem is I believe in everything in 3's, 3 ways to make fire, 3 ways for water, etc,etc.. I always over think everything and by reading the responses it looks like I am on track with what I have. Damn, now I need to shave some weight somewhere else. To the bag I go... Thanks everyone, if you have any other suggestions please leave a response, I always consider others suggestions.

#7 luckydawg13

• Members
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 06:24 PM

why not just bring water with you  :thinking: https://www.camelbak...ASABEgKrY_D_BwE

Kid's that Hunt and Fish don't Mug old Ladies 

#8 Camar10

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 06:36 PM

I do have a CamelBak, I just don't want to carry anymore. Southern Illinois most of the time has plenty of water around if you work for it. Don't like the added weight of water besides the CamelBak.

#9 Tip

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 06:46 PM

Carried a Katadyn backpacking all over the Sierra’s — it never let me down. https://www.amazon.c...=gateway&sr=8-5
Never Engage in a Battle of Wits with an unarmed person.

#10 Raw Power

• 1,192 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 07:11 PM

I typically bring a small portable ceramic filter, along with an inline sawyer, and use tablets as a pre-treat. As a post-treat, I would also boil as well if the opportunity presents itself.

#11 Camar10

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 07:29 PM

I happen to pickup a lifestraw bottle at Wally world the other day in the clearance isle for $7.00 and it changed my thinking on water purification, which lead to other things I thought I was doing right and I questioned what else could I do to pack lighter is why I started this post. I always thought boiling was the best answer (stubborn I am) but I see there are other options. Thanks all

#12 borgranta

• Members
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:07 PM

Be careful if buying a filtration bottle since some are designed for use with municipal water.
The following referral code will grant provide a new User of Uber a free ride up to $15
donaldd4557ui

#13 jpearson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:57 AM

All comes down to how much water you want to purify and how fast.
Chemical treatment takes time micro pure is good. But takes a while to be effective. So tou have to wait.

Filters like katadyn are able to do large quantities and water is ready when done. But filters take more space and weigh a lot more than chemical.

Avoid the iodu e treatment it tastes nasty.

I hike a lot. And backpack 3-4 times a year and i go with katadyn hiker filter and nagaleen hard bottles and platypus soft bottles and i carry a clorine based chemical treatment in case filter goes down. But i am out up to 4 days at a time.

#14 TRJ

The Original TRJ, Accept No Impostors

• 8,506 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:23 AM

if using iodine to treat water be sure to also pack drink mix powder. It's still taste pretty gross, but it's like kale orange wheat-grass smoothie gross instead of metallic algae duck dropping gross. 

#15 Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 01:12 PM

Some type of gravity filter and a msr bag.

#16 Camar10

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:25 PM

i noticed the lifestraw is only 2 micron filter so for sure replacing that option with a 1 micron filter, i believe i am going with the Sawyer Mini, i really like the other options everyone has given me but for the price I can get one now i cant pass it up. As much as i tried last night, i cannot get my pack lighter than 23 lbs, well im sure i could but i would have to sacrifice some redundancy which i am not comfortable with. Heaviest item in my pack is my Marine Bowie but it stays no matter what.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users