Did Madigan file over 400 shell bills today?

InterestedBystander

Madigan has been planning this for 4 years; I am sure every single bill he wants to pass this year is already written and he has made it clear in private which bills must be 100% supported.

I doubt the real zingers will be in the public eye long enough for anyone to comment.

Stay frosty

How do shell Bill's work? What's the advantage of doing this? Someone educate me about this.

The shell aka fake bills like this have already started their way through all the initial procedural hoops (usually to fulfill filing date requirements) then at the last moment they erase it and amend it to something more ominous and attempt to sneak it to the finish line as law without people (and even many of the legislatures) being aware it was amended to be something totally different, this also prevents lobbyist and/or activist from being given ample or even any time to call their elected officials and give input.

The short of it, it's playing dirty.and avoiding transparency.

This website link gives a more detailed overview https://www.illinoispolicy.org/democracy-in-illinois-is-a-shell-game/

This is not new, and has been going on for decades, AFAIK.

Both sides use this shady vehicle.

Oh, I know both sides use them and I get the tactical/strategic perspective in spite of it not being transparent and hiding things through shenanigans, but...over 400 in one day? I just don't remember seeing that many at one time but maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Oh, I know both sides use them and I get the tactical/strategic perspective in spite of it not being transparent and hiding things through shennanigans, but...over 400 in one day? I just don't remember seeing that many at one time but maybe I wasn't paying attention.

400 is not unusual, If I recall correctly

Oh, I know both sides use them and I get the tactical/strategic perspective in spite of it not being transparent and hiding things through shennanigans, but...over 400 in one day? I just don't remember seeing that many at one time but maybe I wasn't paying attention.

400 is not unusual, If I recall correctly

The number is not unusual, but it's unusual for so many to be passed so early in the session. From what I remember usually, the onslaught of shell bills are passed at the stroke of midnight as deadlines approach.

• 2 weeks later...

When this tactic is used, it only serves to prove, without a single doubt, that our elected officials are going directly against what we the people actually want them to do. We no longer have a voice in government. We have slave owners, and we're just their revenue stream.

It surprises me there hasn't been anyone that has challenged this process from a legal standpoint.

Archived