Appeal waiting game

First thank you for allowing me to join this forum. I havent had a lot of time to do reading on here, but Im trying to figure out what to do. I got a class 4 felony back in the year 2000 for obstruction of justice. I took the blame for a crime I didnt do covering for a (friend). I applied for a FOID card back in 2010 I believe it was, and I got the card in the mail. I was speaking with a good friend of mine who is a police officer and was willing to teach me how to properly fire a rifle and do the cleaning. I had asked him what would be a proper firearm for me to start with, and he told me to buy a 20g rifle. So I went to Walmart and found out 3 days later the food card was revoked so I started the appeal process finally in 2012. Its now 2020, and Ive called them a few times over the years to see the status of the appeal process, and I keep

Getting told its going through the system. Now I feel that 8 years is quite a bit excessive for the waiting time. Granted Im not in any type of a huge hurry, and Im only wanting to be able to go with friends to deer hunt during deer season as I have a few friends that dont hunt with a bow. I know Im Illinois there is a 20 year waiting mark, but there are some exceptions that can do it sooner. With my conviction I only got 36 months probation and 150 hours community service. I have been in zero trouble with the law since then except one speeding ticket. Im just trying to figure out what to do after 8 years. Thank you for any advice you can offer me.

Question #1 - when you started the appeal process in 2012, did you return your FOID card to the ISP or local law enforcement?

Question #2 - was the felony conviction of Obstruction of Justice considered a violent or non-violent conviction? There is a 20 year waiting period for violent felony and that 20 year period would end sometime this year.

Question #3 - Did the revocation letter inform you that you could appeal to the ISP or did it say you must appeal in the circuit court where the conviction took place?

Question #1 - when you started the appeal process in 2012, did you return your FOID card to the ISP or local law enforcement?

Question #2 - was the felony conviction of Obstruction of Justice considered a violent or non-violent conviction? There is a 20 year waiting period for violent felony and that 20 year period would end sometime this year.

Question #3 - Did the revocation letter inform you that you could appeal to the ISP or did it say you must appeal in the circuit court where the conviction took place?

I contacted ISP about why it was revoked, and they told me the reason behind it. The lady I spoke with said I can file an appeal, and they mailed me all the information I needed to do the appeal. I had to have 3 letters written by people in the community which I had 4 or 5 done. Two of those letters were done by friends of mine that are police officers. I also had to write a letter explaining the deal with the felony which is a non-violent obstruction. There was some other paperwork that had to be done as well, but it’s been so long I don’t remember what all of the paperwork was. It was to appeal to the ISP. I also sent in the FOID card with the packet that I had to mail back to them. I also had to get the court documents about the conviction to mail in as well.

I would like to submit an inquiry to the ISP. If you would send me an private message with your full legal name, date of birth, and FOID card number, I would be glad to do that for you.

Oh, and did you keep a copy of all the appeal paper work?

. When I moved it got thrown out by mistake, and I don’t have a copy of what he FOID card number was. I can send you all the other information though.

• 2 weeks later...

I applied for my ccl went under board review got a second letter saying tht thy still need more time I never been to jail was in holding in 98 an 08 but was never convicted of any crimes but dnt no whts the hold up

Possible the delay is related to the CCL Review Board is getting a couple new members appointed? They have been doing really well in keeping up with the reviews so this is unusual.

Possible the delay is related to the CCL Review Board is getting a couple new members appointed? They have been doing really well in keeping up with the reviews so this is unusual.

Are these appointments a good thing or a bad thing under the new administration? I thought the terms for everyone expired at the same time? Are they keeping/reappointing some of the existing? Do appointments need to be voted/approved by specific groups?

Hmmm...looks like a new one has been appointed with 2024 term expire date and another has an open 2024 vacancy.

https://www2.illinois.gov/sites/bac/SitePages/AppointmentsDetail.aspx?BCID=739

Edited by InterestedBystander

The appointment for the new CCL Review Board member

Appointment status:

http://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=1010452&GAID=15&DocTypeID=AM&LegId=123370&SessionID=108&GA=101

AM1010452 APPOINT-INGER BURNETT-ZEIGLER

Appointment message:

http://ilga.gov/legislation/101/AM/10100AM1010452.htm

It does appear the Senate or at least Executive Appts are the approving body. I wonder if having a vacancy and not full board impacts hearing schedules?

Sorry this is diverting the OP. Perhaps it needs to go to a new post?

Edited by InterestedBystander

If the Board is getting two new appointments, what do we know about them and their "background"?

Could they be affiliated with Bloomie or Soros?

Web search. Burnett-Ziegler is associated with Northwestern Medical. Seems focused on suicide prevention and violence to women but I found nothing that called out firearms related although granted I did not spend a ton of time.

Practice Focus Areas

Adjustment Disorders

Anxiety Disorders

Bipolar Disorder

Depression

Mood Disorders

Stress Management

Women's Mental Health

Education

Medical Education:

Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine - 2009

Faculty Profile