6.5 Creedmore vs .308

TRJ

Punching paper off a bench for a hobby, distance limited to 600, don't reload... which would you buy?

So I'm looking at a bolt gun. I already keep some .308 in my inventory so I was thinking about just keeping it simple and getting another. 6.5 seems to be all the rage these days. Factory ammo isn't cheap and I'm not sure if 6.5 is a fad that's going to fade off. I keep hearing about the .mil picking up 6.5 which would eventually mean surplus goes in the market and prices come down.

Thoughts?

Punching paper off a bench for a hobby, distance limited to 600, don't reload... which would you buy?

So I'm looking at a bolt gun. I already keep some .308 in my inventory so I was thinking about just keeping it simple and getting another. 6.5 seems to be all the rage these days. Factory ammo isn't cheap and I'm not sure if 6.5 is a fad that's going to fade off. I keep hearing about the .mil picking up 6.5 which would eventually mean surplus goes in the market and prices come down.

Thoughts?

Doing the same here. ( So I'm looking at a bolt gun. I already keep some .308 in my inventory so I was thinking about just keeping it simple and getting another.)

I would go with a 308 did you pick out a scope yet If just punching paper not steel do you have a good spotting scope I'm looking at getting this but in 223

https://www.cabelas.com/product/SAVAGE-FV-VARMINT-RIFLE/1994604.uts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-HCa5RyskQ

https://www.cabelas.com/product/SAVAGE-FV-VARMINT-RIFLE/1994604.uts

Even though I don't currently shoot out past 200 yds, I'm still inclined to get the 6.5 Creedmoor instead of .308 for a bolt gun because of the lower recoil and if I ever do shoot farther I'll appreciate having the 6.5 long-range performance advantage in that case. I don't see the ammo cost compared to heavy match .308 ammo or accelerated barrel wear given I don't expect high round counts as significant minuses.

So if ammo cost and barrel wear aren't concerns, is the lower recoil on the 6.5 noticeable enough versus 308 to justify adding a new caliber to my collection?

This is where you step back and really think about reloading. With bolt action you can get a lot of use out of the brass.

If you're not going to reload I'd do 308 win. 300 winmag if you want some more bang and distance.

If you do decide to reload it usually comes down to if you have other guns in 30 caliber like 300blk. Otherwise go with Creedmore.

Like others have said, 6.5 CM is a great round, but doesn't really shine until you get well beyond 600 yards.

It's the cat's meow for the 1,000 yard F-class guys.

308 is a very well-rounded round, able to be customized for whatever purpose you need.

Various loadings are readily available, and at fair price points. The best bang for your buck is loading your own, especially when you start looking at savings per round. For my 175+ grain loads, I save somewhere in the .70 cent range per round.

At 600 yards, you're not really going to see much of a difference performance-wise between 308 and 6.5CM. As you get out to 800 yards and beyond is when the 6.5 starts to really pull away.

It's just a matter of deciding which one you'll get the most use out of. I can rest my 3 gun rifle off the bench on the 600 and shoot a pretty tight group, even with only a 1-6X scope on it.

I see a couple guys out at ASC every so often with their 50 BMG's and it just seems like a waste to have that and only be able to shoot it at 600 yards.

I'm a bit biased towards 308 though because it can serve many different purposes. I can bench rest shoot it for groups, hunt with it, or compete with it. If I had access to 1,000 yards, I'd probably then start looking for something that can accurately stretch out that far.

I was going back and forth on a precision 6.5 rifle and honestly I already have two .308 rifles in my inventory. One bolt and one semi-auto. It didn't make sense for me to get another rifle let alone step into a new caliber for the distances I get to shoot. We're talking $1500 for a rifle, half that for glass, and then $1 or more per factory round or a few hundred to get invested in reloading to bring my cost down to maybe $.75 per round? Then you have to wonder how much of this you're reeeaaally going to shoot. A few rounds to zero this in and then what? Maybe 10-15 rounds per range trip? if that. After that I realized I needed/wanted training to go along with the equipment to reach out and touch something at 1000 yards and we're talking a few hundred bucks for a one or two day local course and a few thousand for a week long course or more depending on your desire to travel. In the end it wasn't worth it for me to step up to 6.5. I can get close with the .308 rifles I already have, some new glass, and it's up to me how far off the deep end I want to go with training.

Just my two cents.

If you are just punching paper for a hobby limited to 600 yards (not competing) why not have the fun with an M1 Garand. It uses an old classic cartridge.

He does not reload and it's not like you can go up to Walmart and buy ammo That is safe to shoot through the Garand

PPU and American Eagle both have Garand safe specific ammo for sale. I've never tried either since I reload, but from the reviews I've read they're good quality ammo. I believe both have "Garand safe" written on the boxes.

yes and you can get ammo from CMP i was just pointing out that you cant just run any 30/06 ammo in a Garand

Is it because of the floating firing pin causing slamfires on sensitive primers? Or is there a chamber pressure reason?

I always thought the slamfire risk was overblown since most semi auto rifles based on battle and assault rifles have floating firing pins? A slamfire isn't going to turn it into a machine gun, you're just going to get 2 rounds instead of one.

Interesting, so it's the overgassing that actually increases the risk of slamfires on soft primers.

I reload my M1A to the reloading book's M1A load and use CCI primers. But after seeing that vid I'm thinking maybe I should get an adjustable gas system just in case I'm in a situation where I need to shoot off the shelf ammo. My FAL has an adjustable gas system and it's really nice for adjusting recoil. It looks like they also have adjustable gas systems for the mini 14 too. I don't have much faith in Springfield or Ruger's quality of casting, the ancient milsurp stuff after wear in a Garand is probably still stronger.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but I guess that's more reason to do a bolt gun if you're not reloading.

Archived