Flat triggers

SycamoreRuger

I am apparently slow to catch on so I have to ask: What is the big deal with flat triggers in carry guns? I see people in Facebook groups who go crazy for various flat triggers, and some even buy the triggers before they have the gun in their hands so they can swap triggers before they fire a single shot.

I don't think I have ever seen a flat trigger on a stock pistol, so there must be some reason manufacturers don't produce guns with flat triggers installed.

I read this morning that one brand of flat triggers has been recalled by the manufacturer two days after the triggers started being delivered. I think I will keep my stock triggers unless there is some really compelling reason to do otherwise.

I am apparently slow to catch on so I have to ask: What is the big deal with flat triggers in carry guns? I see people in Facebook groups who go crazy for various flat triggers, and some even buy the triggers before they have the gun in their hands so they can swap triggers before they fire a single shot.

I don't think I have ever seen a flat trigger on a stock pistol, so there must be some reason manufacturers don't produce guns with flat triggers installed.

I read this morning that one brand of flat triggers has been recalled by the manufacturer two days after the triggers started being delivered. I think I will keep my stock triggers unless there is some really compelling reason to do otherwise.

Sig Sauer and CZ both offer stock guns with flat triggers. What they're good for, I don't know.

I've been swapping out my Glock triggers for SiderLock triggers, which not only provide a positive safety on my firearms that does not slow down my deployment in the slightest, it has a better trigger activation under my finger as well as provides a smoother trigger pull than the regular stock Glock triggers.

It has a much more flat face than the stock triggers, even though it has a curve in the shape of the trigger still.

I find that I am much quicker and smoother with my trigger pulls, especially since I have nerve damage in my hands and can't actually feel much of the trigger due to that.

I imagine that a flat trigger would do something similar.

Its not a hobby if you can't continuously buy new stuff in the hope that you'll perform better.

I thought the hobby was buying stuff. The performance part is lost on me.

Ha, I resemble that remark!

Flat triggers helps you pull the trigger straight back, provided it's fitted to your hand and trigger finger reach.

For example, if you install a flat trigger, but that trigger face is too far towards the muzzle, when your finger lands on the trigger, it'll favor the strong hand side of the gun, causing you to come back as you pull, but also pushing it towards your weak side, causing you to miss low left if you're a righty.

When you have a properly fitted flat trigger, you can come out of the holster fast, and your finger will land on the trigger in the perfect position every time and as you pull back, it's straight back versus straight back with a push to the left.

With standard non-flat triggers, if the trigger reach is too long for your finger, you'll begin pushing to the left as you pull back, causing you to shoot left.

On a carry gun, at typically SD distances, I don't think it matters all that much, but if you're shooting targets 15 yards or further away, it becomes more of an issue.

ETA: I'm having this problem now with carry guns. I'm so used to a properly fitted flat trigger, that when I shoot anything that's not fitted, or flat, I start pushing on the right side of the trigger as I pull back, and groups wind up left of my aiming point.

Archived