pepper spray, mace, etc. and Illinois law.

jokerone

So I've had trouble with my neighbor's pit bull. a year ago it was a puppy, now its grown and very aggressive.

it has my 80+ year old neighbor afraid of it. (it cornered him in his garage a few months ago).

it barks aggressively out of reach and then keeps trying to bite me when my back is turned.

Last week I tried a hot dog. That worked great until the hot dog was gone.

Last night while getting out of my car in my driveway it was walking around the car barking at me. I took the pepper spray, got out of the car and went to the mailbox.

as I was walking towards my house it started barking and trying to bite.

I turned around and it backed off, then tried to bite me again as I went to the house.

I gave it a sprinkling of the pepper spray (not a full frontal blast in the nose).

It kept barking and trying to bite.

I gate it another sprinkling, and this one did the trick. It backed off, rubbing its eye with its paw, then rolling on the grass, then running off back home.

I've spoken with the owner about the dog, and they don't seem to care, but now they will notice their white dog with orange pepper spray sprinkled on it, and realize its a problem, especially if its rubbing that crap all over their furniture.

I decided to go to youtube and look at some dog attacks and pepper spray.

I found one where a computer shop owner had an aggressive customer trying to get his laptop back. The shop owner finally shot the customer point blank with bear spray.

The shop owner was successfully sued for $12K plus costs because using bear spray on a human is illegal in California.

I would have just called the police in the dispute, and let them work it out, but thats another topic

This got me thinking about the advice of buying bear spray in Illinois for home protection, personal protection against people. Its considered a pesticide and that is why in California its illegal to use against people (like wasp spray). If the label doesn't say its for use on humans, then its illegal (in California).

Illinois has real peter-brained laws, especially in Chicago on weapons, self defense.

I would suspect that if you blasted someone with wasp spray or bear spray in Illinois and the bad guy didn't have a weapon, then I would suspect you will receive the same verdict as the computer shop owner in California.

Any thoughts?

Double check the labels, I believe bear spray has a lower concentration of capsaicin than most "people" pepper spray.

yes, I believe you are correct, because bears have like a nose that is five times more sensitive than a blood hound. I think their are laws regulating the amount of capsaicin in bear spray, which is insane too if you ask me.

maybe keep a Louisville slugger in hand I would call the police and report the dog get something on record

You are probably right. I should. I want to see if this pepper spray incident taught the dog some manners or not.

My bigger concern is my neighbor. I've grown up with dogs, and generally know how to handle them. He is fearful of dogs, just had his chest cracked open for heart surgery.

In fact, I need to call him and let him know about this.

if the neighbor,s dog is on your property trying to bite you i believe pepper spray is totally legal.i would warn the dog,s owner that this will happen the next time his dog attempts to bite you on your property.i would also get some extra pepper spray for the dog,s owner when he comes on your property bitching about his dog getting blasted.i would also call the police and make a report so you can prove it has been a problem and the dog,s owner is allowing it to keep happening.

So I've had trouble with my neighbor's pit bull. a year ago it was a puppy, now its grown and very aggressive.

it has my 80+ year old neighbor afraid of it. (it cornered him in his garage a few months ago).

it barks aggressively out of reach and then keeps trying to bite me when my back is turned.

Last night while getting out of my car in my driveway it was walking around the car barking at me. I took the pepper spray, got out of the car and went to the mailbox.

I turned around and it backed off, then tried to bite me again as I went to the house.

I gave it a sprinkling of the pepper spray (not a full frontal blast in the nose).

I gate it another sprinkling, and this one did the trick. It backed off, rubbing its eye with its paw, then rolling on the grass, then running off back home.

I've spoken with the owner about the dog, and they don't seem to care, but now they will notice their white dog with orange pepper spray sprinkled on it, and realize its a problem, especially if its rubbing that crap all over their furniture.

I found one where a computer shop owner had an aggressive customer trying to get his laptop back. The shop owner finally shot the customer point blank with bear spray.

The shop owner was successfully sued for $12K plus costs because using bear spray on a human is illegal in California.

I would have just called the police in the dispute, and let them work it out, but thats another topic

This got me thinking about the advice of buying bear spray in Illinois for home protection, personal protection against people. Its considered a pesticide and that is why in California its illegal to use against people (like wasp spray). If the label doesn't say its for use on humans, then its illegal (in California).

Illinois has real peter-brained laws, especially in Chicago on weapons, self defense.

I would suspect that if you blasted someone with wasp spray or bear spray in Illinois and the bad guy didn't have a weapon, then I would suspect you will receive the same verdict as the computer shop owner in California.

Any thoughts?

Thought? Yeah, of course.

Your dog problem:

1)Keep up with the hot dogs, until the dog learns that you are the source of tasty bits of meat. A neighbor some years back kept a barky pit bull chained in the back yard. Every time we'd walk out to the garage (back near where the dog was), I'd toss a half a cheap hot dog to her. The dog was, eventually, pretty happy to see us. Pathetic excuse for a guard dog, in the end.

2)Police. Call them. Paper trail, now.

Your people problem: pepper spray is made for people.

if the neighbor,s dog is on your property trying to bite you i believe pepper spray is totally legal.i would warn the dog,s owner that this will happen the next time his dog attempts to bite you on your property.i would also get some extra pepper spray for the dog,s owner when he comes on your property bitching about his dog getting blasted.i would also call the police and make a report so you can prove it has been a problem and the dog,s owner is allowing it to keep happening.

thanks, I'm not worried about an aggressive neighbor. I have enough empty handed skills to deal with it if it goes there.

I have the incident on video (CCTV) to show what the dog does and how it behaves including last night's problem.

I just spoke with my neighbor. I'll post his response.

Any thoughts?

Thought? Yeah, of course.

Your dog problem:

1)Keep up with the hot dogs, until the dog learns that you are the source of tasty bits of meat. A neighbor some years back kept a barky pit bull chained in the back yard. Every time we'd walk out to the garage (back near where the dog was), I'd toss a half a cheap hot dog to her. The dog was, eventually, pretty happy to see us. Pathetic excuse for a guard dog, in the end.

2)Police. Call them. Paper trail, now.

Your people problem: pepper spray is made for people.

A chained dog is the worst. dogs are too stupid to understand why they can't move and get frustrated because of the chain. Once loose they take their frustrations out on whoever they feel like.

I've been bit twice by a dog as a kid. Once I got between my dog and another dog who it was fighting. (I was 8 years old, lesson learned). The second time, I got the hose turned on me at my friends house and I backed into his chained dog (who was always chained) and it got a hold of my arm and drew blood.

So I spoke with my 80 year old neighbor. He said the blood thinners he is on would mean he could bleed to death if bitten.

He also said the same dog attacked him and his visiting friend Thursday night in his yard. He went back inside to get his shotgun but the dog was gone when he came out. (he had been drinking too, I would rather get him some pepper spray as well , rather than seen him lose his gun rights in the people's republic of Illinois for shooting the dog).

It sounds like this dog needs a visit to the "doggy greyrock hotel" and let the owners spend $150 bailing him out.

So I spoke with my 80 year old neighbor. He said the blood thinners he is on would mean he could bleed to death if bitten.

He also said the same dog attacked him and his visiting friend Thursday night in his yard. He went back inside to get his shotgun but the dog was gone when he came out. (he had been drinking too, I would rather get him some pepper spray as well , rather than seen him lose his gun rights in the people's republic of Illinois for shooting the dog).

It sounds like this dog needs a visit to the "doggy greyrock hotel" and let the owners spend $150 bailing him out.

EDIT : I meant to say the neighbor told me of another neighbor who was attacked Thursday.

Animal control and/or police report.

If in Chicago, iirc, they do have some funky obnoxious spray release law on the books.

The dog repellent that I think USPS carriers use range from .35% to 1% capsaicin content depending on formula.

Wikipedia indicates most bear spray is 1-2%.

FoxLabs, at one time a favorite of LE, has/had a 2% or 5% (foam spray) or 6% (mean green/white lightening) content..."serious business people spray" ;-)

https://shop.foxlabs.com/collections/all

Had a friend who worked part time as a deputy in Kentucky. He was attacked by a Rottweiler. He sprayed the dog several times in the face with very little effect. Then the dog turned away from him to chew on his foot some more and he sprayed the dog square in the rear exit hole! Dog let out a yelp and took off running down the road, stopping every so often to drag its butt on the ground! Never saw that dog again. SO------ maybe you ought to think of a new aiming point!

Animal control and/or police report.

If in Chicago, iirc, they do have some funky obnoxious spray release law on the books.

The dog repellent that I think USPS carriers use range from .35% to 1% capsaicin content depending on formula.

Wikipedia indicates most bear spray is 1-2%.

FoxLabs, at one time a favorite of LE, has/had a 2% or 5% (foam spray) or 6% (mean green/white lightening) content..."serious business people spray" ;-)

https://shop.foxlabs.com/collections/all

Fox 5.3 is what I hit him with.

Had a friend who worked part time as a deputy in Kentucky. He was attacked by a Rottweiler. He sprayed the dog several times in the face with very little effect. Then the dog turned away from him to chew on his foot some more and he sprayed the dog square in the rear exit hole! Dog let out a yelp and took off running down the road, stopping every so often to drag its butt on the ground! Never saw that dog again. SO------ maybe you ought to think of a new aiming point!

LOL.. Get him coming and going.

I just got home and he was loose and barking at me. (about 8 feet away). I just went inside.

Hes get the full blast of love next time. We'll see what effect that has.

Perhaps the neighbor with blood thinners should report the loose dog to both cops and animal control citing his fear for his life due to any dog bite being a fatal one due to medical condition. Perhaps he should have a gun with him while outside the house since he has reason to fear for his life when the dog clearly wants to bite people.

Perhaps the neighbor with blood thinners should report the loose dog to both cops and animal control citing his fear for his life due to any dog bite being a fatal one due to medical condition. Perhaps he should have a gun with him while outside the house since he has reason to fear for his life when the dog clearly wants to bite people.

I don't know if he owns a gun. I do. I'll contact animal control and find out what their hours are because clearly these people are only letting the dog out off hours.

We have had neighbors shoot other neighbors dogs, but it was years ago and I don't know the outcome.

I'm personally not afraid of the dog. I out weigh it by 10x, which means if I fell on it with purpose the dog will be howling with its ancestors. I'm more worried about my neighbors or kids riding around starting this spring.

Today it came into my yard while I was taking the trash out, and it didn't come closer than 20 feet. I'm good with that. I guess it remembered "Satan's piss" :devil:

• 3 weeks later...

Call your local Animal Control, ask if there is a local leash law, tell them about the dogs agressive behavior, then let them deal with it.

Pepper spray works most of the time, though I have had dogs come back for a second and third dose. If you can hit them in the eyes nose or mouth it will generally turn them.

Do Not use wasp spray, it can cause permanent damage. Opens you up to liability.

Do not go inside, get a gun, then come back out and shoot the dog. Just like self Defense against people, if their is no threat, then there is no legal justification to shoot. If you can get in the house, let law enforcement handle it.

Some of the things I learned as an Animal Control Officer.

Call your local Animal Control, ask if there is a local leash law, tell them about the dogs agressive behavior, then let them deal with it.

Pepper spray works most of the time, though I have had dogs come back for a second and third dose. If you can hit them in the eyes nose or mouth it will generally turn them.

Do Not use wasp spray, it can cause permanent damage. Opens you up to liability.

Do not go inside, get a gun, then come back out and shoot the dog. Just like self Defense against people, if their is no threat, then there is no legal justification to shoot. If you can get in the house, let law enforcement handle it.

Some of the things I learned as an Animal Control Officer.

So it appears they got rid of the dog.

However another neighbor (a new one), has a small female (very friendly), that is in heat and trying to tear up my front door to get to my fixed male. He nailed her last week and they got stuck together. (she jumped the fence to get to him. (never heard of a female doing that before). LOL.

My CCTV caught it on camera

Archived