Attacks Against Real Estate Professionals Surge

RECarry

I forwarded this article, with urging to support Right To Carry, to my Representative (Karen May D-anti) and Senator (Garrett). If anyone else would like to pass this article along, I would appreciate it. Many real estate agents would not be good candidates for CCW, but those are the ones who put the rest of us in harms' way. Such as leaving patio doors wide open at a foreclosure home so that racoons could come and go to drink from the faucets. Or, not locking back doors so that neighborhood thugs could come and go at will. We work in confined spaces with limited avenues of retreat, and often without electric lighting.

Link:

http://realtormag.re...essionals-surge

Attacks Against Real Estate Professionals Surge

Daily Real Estate News | Tuesday, May 01, 2012

The number of assaults against real estate professionals is on the rise, with the nature of attacks becoming more violent and sometimes deadly. Fatal injuries among real estate professionals while working on the job reached in 2010 their highest level since 2003, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Figures from 2010 are the latest year available.

Sixty-three workplace fatalities occurred in the real estate industry category in 2010, which is a 19 percent rise over the previous year. Of the 63 fatalities, 23 were homicides, according to BLS. That overall total also includes 14 deaths from falls, nine from transportation incidents, and eight from being exposed to harmful substances or environments, Inman News reports on the BLS findings.

That marks the highest level of fatalities since at least 2003 when BLS began collecting such data. The real estate industry category, as defined by BLS, includes landlords, real estate agents and brokers, and those who perform work related to real estate, such as appraisers and property managers.

Landlords appear to be the most vulnerable to attacks. Of the 23 homicides in 2010, 52 percent of the victims were landlords.

In 2010, 940 real estate and rental leasing professionals were victims of nonfatal assaults. That number has steadily risen over the last few years, up from 620 in 2009 and 170 in 2008.

Inman News, in its analysis of the findings, discovered that workplace fatalities among real estate professionals were at their lowest point during 2005, the height of the housing boom. In 2005, 39 fatalities were recorded. The number has been on the rise ever since, particularly in the categories of “assaults and violent acts” caused by others, self-inflicted injury, and animal attacks.

Source: “Assaults, Murders of Real Estate Professionals on the Rise,” Inman News (April 30, 2012) [Log-in required.]

I'd rather be a real estate professional than an African-American teenager living in Englewood

I've work down there, Bud. More than once doing my civic duty. Never again until the know-it-all "leaders" in Illinois allow for better odds. But some of the attacks on real estate persons, or confrontations that could have turned ugly, have occurred in "safe" communities around Chicago and other suburbs of major cities. Crime does not isolate itself and gangs have move outwards. Unfortunately, the politcians who represent the "good" areas wonder why anyone outside of Englewood would need a firearm for protection.

Every foreclosed or supposedly vacant home is a potential trap if you corner an intruder, an angry homeowner, or a wild animal. I am not kidding - have seen just about everything I need to see as an unarmed citizen. These are some of the reasons locksmiths in Illinois have carry permits.

Well,I am concerned for any working person trying to make an honest living in that heck hole called chicago.However,I am not for another protected class of people.Just because someone choses to become a certain profession,his/her life is not more important than mine....JMHO

Was I asking for a protected class? I suppose by mentioning locksmiths that was inferred. Clients should have a right to carry as well. My point was to share more examples of how Illinois is screwing with all of us. Fair enough?

:cheers:

RECarry was just mentioning another (among the list of thousands) reason while Conceal Carry is needed in Illinois. People in his profession have many reasons to need to defend themselves. People in other professions (and situations) do as well. I don't think he said anything to contradict that.

If one's job takes them into sometimes abandoned properties, and often with virtual strangers, that can be a risky proposition. I certainly wouldn’t want to do such a role without means of protecting myself!

Here's another way to look at it. If it's too dangerous to go into an area, don't go. Stop contributing to th economy of the City that is denying your right to self protection.

The reason the Chicago Machine wins is because everyone goes along with what they are doing. As long as nothing changes, the Chicago Machine wins. If they start getting hit in the economic pocket book than maybe they will start listening.

There are no classes of people that should be exempt from the law. Not retired cops or locksmiths or anyone else.

When RTC passes this year, it will be for all citizens of the State, as it should be.

I have experienced the same.In my case,you never knew if the place was going to be infested or plush with security until you get there,even if you asked them.In the mid 80's i left the drilling rigs and drove a truck coast-to-coast for 6 years.You would NOT believe some of the places you have to back into at all hours of the day.I have been to some places like, NYC where the vendor told me,"DO NOT get out of your truck when you arrive until someone comes outside to watch out for you".

After all of those scams,windshield washers cleaning the windshield WHILE you are moving at stoplights,frieght stolen at the docks....then i get robbed at gunpoint and pistol whipped in Fortworth Texas on the front row at a truckstop in BROAD DAYLIGHT by 3 thugs.It's a good thing i didn't have a gun at that time because i would have blown their brains out on the spot with no regrets.

Try getting caught with a firearm in a company truck and see what happens.

Was I asking for a protected class? I suppose by mentioning locksmiths that was inferred. Clients should have a right to carry as well. My point was to share more examples of how Illinois is screwing with all of us. Fair enough?

I guess I misread what you were trying to say here.For this,I appoligize.

It's all good. Just trying to fit in here and pull some weight for the cause, through the channels I have access to. So far, I am finding there are a good number of influential people who suuport RTC, and who feel the same way about our inept, close-minded, anti-gun State Rep.

To my knowledge, the Illinois Association of Realtors is not campaigning for special status, but I have not sensed they are opposed either. IAR and NAR have bigger fish to fry, helping homeowners (even renters) avoid getting screwed by more taxes, fees, meddling, and regulations.

Archived