Ryan Will Not Let Congress Touch Reciprocity

mauserme

A lot of comments here imply the thinking that support of Trump and the Trump agenda is the predominate feeling in this country. I wish that were true, but I really think that most of America just wants the freebies that it thinks the government can provide. America hated Obamacare, but is horrified that the illegal benefits offered to millions might be taken away. Americans lament that Medicare and Social Security are bankrupting our children's futures, but would crucify anyone proposing reductions in those programs. I'm not very hopeful for the future, and even less so for the likelihood of getting national reciprocity for concealed carry laws. I think at best that reciprocity is a bargaining chip in the minds of the Republicans, willing to be traded away for something that seems to really matter to them like corporate tax reductions. Just as the Democrats take blacks and hispanics for granted and do little to really help them, keeping their grievances alive forever to be used as campaign issues, the Republicans take the NRA and the gun community for granted. They likely will never really try to help us, but will keep trying to keep our support by telling us that the Dems will take away our gun rights. What progress we have made has been via the Supreme Court and through state legislatures. I think we will never see national reciprocity but will continue to function as two Americas, one pro gun and one anti-gun, with each side moving further down its chosen path. It's hard to have much optimism on the 2nd Amendment at this point.

Vito, while politicians and media overuse the word "complicated" when they describe work, National Reciprocity really seems complicated to me. I've read both bills and have trouble just understanding the end states of each. Gets worse going down further "State by State" level. Together, I find the bills complicated. If so, they could be hard to sell.

National Reciprocity would be simpler if it was one set of Federal laws across all States with no State exceptions. But, there is no clean slate of State Laws. As encouraged by the Constitution, each State has it's own unique set of laws. On the other hand, I think "Constitutional Carry" across all states would be both Constitutional and simple for people to understand. Might be hard to pass.

In any case, I'm thinking complications across these bills are more to blame than the NRA. If it wasn't for the NRA we'd be throwing rocks at each other. No "executive orders" for the NRA, they have to work through our representatives and they've done an excellent job with that. I don't think the NRA is looking good right now regarding National Reciprocity. But outside of nationwide "Constitutional Carry," I don't have any suggestions for them. Complicated.

Imagine if driving from state to state, each having different laws. The right of the people to keep and drive cars..
No need to imagine. Yes, the license is good everywhere but there are definitely different laws.

Different speed limits, fines for various things, rules for driving in the left lane, lane splitting/shoulder riding for motorcycles, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Imagine if driving from state to state, each having different laws. The right of the people to keep and drive cars..

No need to imagine. Yes, the license is good everywhere but there are definitely different laws.

Different speed limits, fines for various things, rules for driving in the left lane, lane splitting/shoulder riding for motorcycles, etc.

All of those limitations are "controlled" by signs. The laws remain the same.

All of those limitations are "controlled" by signs. The laws remain the same.

Exactly. And we don't have the same issue with guns where certain guns are legal in one state but illegal in another. Can you imagine if laws affected cars the same way? Certain makes and models being illegal in certain states and you can only drive them in a state if you are passing through from one state where they are legal to another.

It's pretty insane.

America hated Obamacare, but is horrified that the illegal benefits offered to millions might be taken away. Americans lament that Medicare and Social Security are bankrupting our children's futures, but would crucify anyone proposing reductions in those programs.
People are all for trimming fat from government spending on one condition: it doesn't affect me. The second that it affects them, they are vehemently opposed to any measure to curtail, impair, or otherwise slash a benefit or entitlement that directly benefits said taxpayer. That's why this won't be solved. There is no will to solve it. People do not want to make the hard choices, it's easier to kick the can down the road, past the "road closed" sign, into the pasture full of cow pies, then off the cliff. Hoping that they're either dead or living in another state when the chickens come home to roost. Once a benefit or entitlement is conferred, it is effectively impossible to strip it. That's why we're having all of these problems with ObamaCare. People don't want to admit that health insurance is not a right. Nor will they accept that there are always winners and losers in this type of situation. The losers being those with incomes high enough to not be exempted by Obamacare and too high for Medicaid. Tough choices must be made and very few are willing to do so. Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Exactly. And we don't have the same issue with guns where certain guns are legal in one state but illegal in another. Can you imagine if laws affected cars the same way? Certain makes and models being illegal in certain states and you can only drive them in a state if you are passing through from one state where they are legal to another.

It's pretty insane.

Cali has already crossed this line. To an extent so has Illinois relative to the emissions testing being tied to license plates. Cali has outlawed certain lawnmower engines for cripes sake.

It's pretty insane.

Cali has already crossed this line. To an extent so has Illinois relative to the emissions testing being tied to license plates. Cali has outlawed certain lawnmower engines for cripes sake.

A lot of aftermarket car parts suppliers won't sell to Cali the same way some gun shops won't ship to Crook Co.

If the GOP was not the assistant Leftocrat party, Trump would be just a celebrity.

If the GOP would stop crony enriching, Trump would be pointing his finger on TV saying "you're fired.".

If the GOP would stop trying to stick to this : "We are trying to slow the rate of growth of government.” (which is Cronies getting enriched at a slower rate) and change it to "We are trying to cut government.” (meaning now less money for cronies) Trump would be a decoration on TV.

I wish we had an actual two party system. Instead of have a "two halves of a one party system" - cronies must be enriched at all costs, at our expense.

If the GOP was not the assistant Leftocrat party, Trump would be just a celebrity.

The Democrat and Republican Parties might as well be consolidated and called called "The Party" or "The Uni-party." Different means to the same end. TONS of horrible legislation drafted and trade deals negotiated by Republicans, signed into law by Democrats and vice versa. NAFTA, negotiated by Bush I, signed into law by Clinton. Glass-Steagall repeal, drafted by Republicans but signed into law by Clinton. No one party is responsible for all of the messes over the last God knows how long. They're both equally culpable.

And Presidents screwing our entire economy. Woodrow Wilson, the "visionary" that he was, signed the Federal Reserve Act into law, thus setting the stage for the beginning of the end. Central Bank, independent of the government, a star chamber that pulls the strings of the entire economy, what could possibly go wrong? The "Nixon shock" when Nixon signed an EO in 1971 to close the gold window, ending Bretton Woods, making the Dollar the world's reserve currency, was beyond destructive. This allowed the government to pile up debt with impunity during the Cold War. THAT is how we beat the Soviets. We out spent them by using debt to finance military spending. But we haven't dealt with the aftermath of that arms race, Russia has and has fully reset its post-Cold War economy (it's a terrible economy but it's free of all of the Cold War largesse). I don't know whether Nixon was myopic or a moron, or both, because he screwed the US economically for generations by de-pegging the Dollar. The result of that is the housing crisis, the pension mess, student loan debt, consumer debt of all varieties, all due to Nixon's actions opening up debt-fueled spending sprees.

Putin did something brilliant in expelling the Rothschilds from Russia and barring them (the bank) from doing business in Russia. The Rothschilds are unheard of by the large majority but they have their hands in every cookie jar across the world. He achieved true sovereignty by expelling the Rothschilds because of how much influence the bank exerts on governments. I swear, if the American people knew about half of what its government has been up to for the last half-century, the People would be matching on Washington with torches and pitchforks.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I have to vehemently disagree with the naysayers here. The gun control movement is done for, absolutely. Why else have they begun engaging in scorched earth tactics (firearm orders of protection)? Their behavior here is telling, as their behavior is not that of an army that is winning, but an army that is in retreat and is laying land mines in their wake. If they were winning they'd be more aggressively pushing assault weapons bans and universal background checks. But are they? Barely, if it all, which is surprising given how rabid they are about banning guns. The orders of protection are a scorched earth tactic, not a forward-moving tactic. They're burning everything in sight because they know they're finished and they just want their one, final act of revenge.

They also realize that there is no path forward for them without a Hillary presidency. They've lost too much territory at the state level to be able to survive eight years of Trump making judicial appointments and SCOTUS picks, along with (at the very least) blocking anti-gun laws out of Congress (more below).

To this end, Trump is rapidly filling lower court vacancies. Kennedy might retire at the end of the year, meaning Trump gets his second SCOTUS pick. There are a multitude of cases all throughout the country that, should they reach the SCOTUS, would likely result in the underlying law being declared unconstitutional. Even one such case would irreparably damage the gun control movement beyond the damage they've already suffered.

And look at how many states have loosened their restrictions on gun control, even going as far as expanding the right to own and carry guns. How many hundreds of laws, in total, have been amended, scrapped, or passed? How can the gun control movement possibly recover from such a horrific loss of territory? THEY CAN'T AND THEY KNOW IT. Their behavior as of late belies this fact.

Concealed carry is blossoming nationwide, especially amongst groups that are traditionally considered anti-gun. That momentum isn't stopping, as we're seeing with the widespread growth in support for constitutional carry. It took us 30-40 years as a nation to get concealed carry in all 50 states, but the constitutional carry movement has managed to get it legalized in 14 states in only 4 year's time, with 25 more considering it. That means the trend towards less gun control is accelerating, not slowing down.

Congress is a problem, but Trump is expertly dismantling their opposition to his agenda. He reached across the aisle to work with Pelosi and Schumer, who are too stupid to see that they've been lead into a trap. This has already turned the far left against them at a time when they desperately need unity in preparation for 2018. They have no leading candidates. They're dominated by ineffective and corrupt neo-liberals. Middle America doesn't want them. And the GOP will quickly learn that betting against Trump will result in them getting primaried. Senator Flake, anyone?

Don't believe me? Go online and follow Thomas Wictor (@ThomasWictor), Brian Cates (@drawandstrike), /pol/ News Infinity (@polNewsInfinity), Bill Mitchell (@mitchellvii) and Scott Adams (@scottadamssays) on twitter. Watch Styxhexenhammer666 on YouTube. All of these folks have been spot-on about Trump and current political events, and the fact is this: WE ARE WINNING. On the wall, immigration, Obamacare, taxes, etc. Trump is positioned in such a way that he/we will succeed on these issues. He has the the uniparty and his opposition by the balls. The polls are wrong as usual, and for the naysayers on Obamacare: the gimme dats are a minority. Far more people are hurt by Obamacare than support it, even amongst Obama's biggest fans (although they'll never admit it). Even the Obama fans will secretly cheer when it's gone.

So why isn't he doing anything, it seems? Why is there no progress?

Sun Tzu said:

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

When the time comes, and you'll know when it comes, he'll strike like a lightning bolt. Just wait and see. The pieces are being moved into position.

(I'm not going to rehash everything they've said here because I don't have the time nor space, but things are going in our direction. Read their stuff and watch their videos for a better explanation of things.)

And the same is true with gun rights. It doesn't seem like it now, but when you carefully ponder the battlefield it's clear to me that our old enemy, the gun control movement, is losing, and badly. In the long term they'll become as toothless and powerless as the prohibition movement.

I have to vehemently disagree with the naysayers here. The gun control movement is done for, absolutely. Why else have they begun engaging in scorched earth tactics (firearm orders of protection)? Their behavior here is telling, as their behavior is not that of an army that is winning, but an army that is in retreat and is laying land mines in their wake. If they were winning they'd be more aggressively pushing assault weapons bans and universal background checks. But are they? Barely, if it all, which is surprising given how rabid they are about banning guns. The orders of protection are a scorched earth tactic, not a forward-moving tactic. They're burning everything in sight because they know they're finished and they just want their one, final act of revenge.

They also realize that there is no path forward for them without a Hillary presidency. They've lost too much territory at the state level to be able to survive eight years of Trump making judicial appointments and SCOTUS picks, along with (at the very least) blocking anti-gun laws out of Congress (more below).

To this end, Trump is rapidly filling lower court vacancies. Kennedy might retire at the end of the year, meaning Trump gets his second SCOTUS pick. There are a multitude of cases all throughout the country that, should they reach the SCOTUS, would likely result in the underlying law being declared unconstitutional. Even one such case would irreparably damage the gun control movement beyond the damage they've already suffered.

And look at how many states have loosened their restrictions on gun control, even going as far as expanding the right to own and carry guns. How many hundreds of laws, in total, have been amended, scrapped, or passed? How can the gun control movement possibly recover from such a horrific loss of territory? THEY CAN'T AND THEY KNOW IT. Their behavior as of late belies this fact.

Concealed carry is blossoming nationwide, especially amongst groups that are traditionally considered anti-gun. That momentum isn't stopping, as we're seeing with the widespread growth in support for constitutional carry. It took us 30-40 years as a nation to get concealed carry in all 50 states, but the constitutional carry movement has managed to get it legalized in 14 states in only 4 year's time, with 25 more considering it. That means the trend towards less gun control is accelerating, not slowing down.

Congress is a problem, but Trump is expertly dismantling their opposition to his agenda. He reached across the aisle to work with Pelosi and Schumer, who are too stupid to see that they've been lead into a trap. This has already turned the far left against them at a time when they desperately need unity in preparation for 2018. They have no leading candidates. They're dominated by ineffective and corrupt neo-liberals. Middle America doesn't want them. And the GOP will quickly learn that betting against Trump will result in them getting primaried. Senator Flake, anyone?

Don't believe me? Go online and follow Thomas Wictor (@ThomasWictor), Brian Cates (@drawandstrike), /pol/ News Infinity (@polNewsInfinity), Bill Mitchell (@mitchellvii) and Scott Adams (@scottadamssays) on twitter. Watch Styxhexenhammer666 on YouTube. All of these folks have been spot-on about Trump and current political events, and the fact is this: WE ARE WINNING. On the wall, immigration, Obamacare, taxes, etc. Trump is positioned in such a way that he/we will succeed on these issues. He has the the uniparty and his opposition by the balls. The polls are wrong as usual, and for the naysayers on Obamacare: the gimme dats are a minority. Far more people are hurt by Obamacare than support it, even amongst Obama's biggest fans (although they'll never admit it). Even the Obama fans will secretly cheer when it's gone.

Sun Tzu said:

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

When the time comes, and you'll know when it comes, he'll strike like a lightning bolt. Just wait and see. The pieces are being moved into position.

(I'm not going to rehash everything they've said here because I don't have the time nor space, but things are going in our direction. Read their stuff and watch their videos for a better explanation of things.)

And the same is true with gun rights. It doesn't seem like it now, but when you carefully ponder the battlefield it's clear to me that our old enemy, the gun control movement, is losing, and badly. In the long term they'll become as toothless and powerless as the prohibition movement.

I wish I shared your optimism. Maybe if we lived in a state that was more friendly to gun rights I would. But certain states like California, New York, and Massachusetts are "laboratories" where the gun control movement can test out their most harebrained schemes. Illinois has been spared most of it, but it seems to teeter on the edge very much at risk of throwing in with that lot.

Until something federally comes and smashes the gun control schemes these states come up with, we aren't really safe. Federal law could be as free and wonderful as our wildest dreams and it would all be meaningless if the states can still infringe on our rights.

Sun Tzu said:

Excellent post. Makes sense.The number of new gun ranges we have seen over time supports what you said about the "blossoming" concealed. Significant less Americans are on food stamps since Trump took office:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/08/07/1-1-million-fewer-americans-food-stamps-trump/

Thanks to Illinois Carry and NRA (probably wouldn't have Trump without them) pro-gun progress has been outstanding. I'm guessing people are concerned about complacency at a time when the "iron is hot." Personally I'm looking forward to National Reciprocity. If it's implemented via nationwide constitutional carry, I'll be overjoyed. I greatly appreciate the unbelievable defense Illinois Carry accomplished in the face of a slew of monumental anti-gun bills. It would make sense to me those same type of efforts would still be highest priority in the future. Beyond that, a reduction in IL GFZ's, especially public transportation, would be my next priority (even though I don't use public transportation anymore.)

Once again, excellent post. And I share your optimism.

We may be winning, but when I can't travel without foregoing my gun rights it doesn't feel like winning. Merely having a handgun with me, even in my vehicle, makes me a felon in much of New England and NY and NJ. We have a long my way to yet go to have the 2A become a true "unalienable" right.

I have to vehemently disagree with the naysayers here. The gun control movement is done for, absolutely. Why else have they begun engaging in scorched earth tactics (firearm orders of protection)? Their behavior here is telling, as their behavior is not that of an army that is winning, but an army that is in retreat and is laying land mines in their wake.

I pray to God that you're right, but I think we've just been lucky over the years with some of the victories we've enjoyed.

The push to ban guns will never stop. The powers that be NEED for this to happen in order to force their Marxist / Socialist / Globalist agenda on the American people. They absolutely cannot allow the citizens an ability to fight back, so the push will never stop.

They have already taken over our schools and media and are brainwashing our youth. The next generation of Americans will be thoroughly indoctrinated into the leftist mindset and taught to hate guns.

National Reciprocity will NEVER happen. No politician on either side of the aisle will ever advance something like that. It would just give the people far more power than our corrupt government would ever allow us to have.

Trump being elected has given us a short reprieve on the entire gun ban movement at the federal level, but don't think for a second that it will last. Right now, it might seem like we're "winning", but once Trump is gone, the push to ban guns will start up again. Just wait until a Dem gets back into the big chair.

I have to vehemently disagree with the naysayers here. The gun control movement is done for, absolutely. Why else have they begun engaging in scorched earth tactics (firearm orders of protection)? Their behavior here is telling, as their behavior is not that of an army that is winning, but an army that is in retreat and is laying land mines in their wake.

I pray to God that you're right, but I think we've just been lucky over the years with some of the victories we've enjoyed.

The push to ban guns will never stop. The powers that be NEED for this to happen in order to force their Marxist / Socialist / Globalist agenda on the American people. They absolutely cannot allow the citizens an ability to fight back, so the push will never stop.

They have already taken over our schools and media and are brainwashing our youth. The next generation of Americans will be thoroughly indoctrinated into the leftist mindset and taught to hate guns.

National Reciprocity will NEVER happen. No politician on either side of the aisle will ever advance something like that. It would just give the people far more power than our corrupt government would ever allow us to have.

Trump being elected has given us a short reprieve on the entire gun ban movement at the federal level, but don't think for a second that it will last. Right now, it might seem like we're "winning", but once Trump is gone, the push to ban guns will start up again. Just wait until a Dem gets back into the big chair.

8 years Trump followed by 8 years Pence. That's enough time to stamp the left out.

I would love nothing more.

It would be great to see the Dem party completely collapse into obscurity and the whole leftist ideology fade away permanently.

Sounds great but I'd put that up there with unicorns, rainbows, and no murders for a week in chicago. There will always be lunatics.

Like many others during Trump's campaign, you are underestimating the Trump Train movement.

Might Ryan change his tune since the victory of Judge Moore over Luther Strange? Even Ryan might see that the base of the party is increasingly unhappy with the Establishment "business as usual" attitude. For his own political survival, Ryan might move up national reciprocity as a priority to solidify himself with the party base.

Might Ryan change his tune since the victory of Judge Moore over Luther Strange? Even Ryan might see that the base of the party is increasingly unhappy with the Establishment "business as usual" attitude. For his own political survival, Ryan might move up national reciprocity as a priority to solidify himself with the party base.

I don't think Ryan is part of the base or even cares about it.

Archived