HR 1565 - Universal Background Checks

Smittyp83

I was reading through this proposed HB 1565 regarding universal background checks and found this section. Please correct me if I am wrong because it reads as if it negates a state's concealed carry laws....

SEC. 208. INTERSTATE TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARMS OR AMMUNITION.

(a) In General- Section 926A of title 18, United States Code, is amended to read as follows:

‘Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms or ammunition

‘(a) Definition- In this section, the term ‘transport’--

‘(1) includes staying in temporary lodging overnight, stopping for food, fuel, vehicle maintenance, an emergency, medical treatment, and any other activity incidental to the transport; and

‘(2) does not include transportation--

‘(A) with the intent to commit a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year that involves a firearm; or

‘(B) with knowledge, or reasonable cause to believe, that a crime described in subparagraph (A) is to be committed in the course of, or arising from, the transportation.

‘(B) Authorization- Notwithstanding any provision of any law (including a rule or regulation) of a State or any political subdivision thereof, a person who is not prohibited by this chapter from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm or ammunition shall be entitled to--

‘(1) transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where the person may lawfully possess, carry, or transport the firearm to any other such place if, during the transportation--

‘(A) the firearm is unloaded; and

‘(B)(i) if the transportation is by motor vehicle--

‘(I) the firearm is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the motor vehicle; or

‘(II) if the motor vehicle is without a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm is--

‘(aa) in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console; or

‘(bb) secured by a secure gun storage or safety device; or

‘(ii) if the transportation is by other means, the firearm is in a locked container or secured by a secure gun storage or safety device; and

‘(2) transport ammunition for any lawful purpose from any place where the person may lawfully possess, carry, or transport the ammunition, to any other such place if, during the transportation--

‘(A) the ammunition is not loaded into a firearm; and

‘(B)(i) if the transportation is by motor vehicle--

‘(I) the ammunition is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the motor vehicle; or

‘(II) if the motor vehicle is without a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the ammunition is in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console; or

‘(ii) if the transportation is by other means, the ammunition is in a locked container.

‘© Limitation on Arrest Authority- A person who is transporting a firearm or ammunition may not be--

‘(1) arrested for violation of any law or any rule or regulation of a State, or any political subdivision thereof, relating to the possession, transportation, or carrying of firearms or ammunition, unless there is probable cause that the transportation is not in accordance with subsection (B); or

‘(2) detained for violation of any law or any rule or regulation of a State, or any political subdivision thereof, relating to the possession, transportation, or carrying of firearms or ammunition, unless there is reasonable suspicion that the transportation is not in accordance with subsection (B).’.

(B) Technical and Conforming Amendment- The table of sections for chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by striking the item relating to section 926A and inserting the following:

‘926A. Interstate transportation of firearms or ammunition.’.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr1565/text

Archived