Opening Briefs Filed with 7th Circuit

johnyt101

Today we filed our opening brief in the Court of Appeals. The basic arguments may be familiar to those who have followed the proceedings below, but we had somewhat more room to work with at this stage, not to mention the decision below required a response.

All three remaining Chicago-area cases, ours and the two brought by the NRA against Chicago and Oak Park, have been consolidated on appeal. That means that they will be heard and decided together by the same panel, and the parties on both sides are to minimize the degree of overlapping arguments among them. We’ll post the other briefs on this website (the NRA’s, the Cities’, and amicis’) as they come in.

In a week, we expect the amici supporting us to file their briefs. Chicago and Oak Park turn in their efforts in thirty days, followed by their amici in a week. We then get a reply two weeks later. The case will most likely be argued, and perhaps even decided by the Court of Appeals, sometime this year.

Stay tuned…

Opening Brief

Looks like we got this case pending in the 7th Circuit and the Nordyke Case to be decided by summer in the 9th Circuit. Hopefully both courts move to incorporate, however conflicting rulings usually means SCOTUS steps in faster to set the precedent.

FIRST ... allow me to reiterate how critically important it is to clarify who-stated-what. Communicating clearly and effectively ... all the time ... is what we were supposed to have learned in english class. What matters is that we are dealing with political and legal issues, and "who-stated-what" matters in a fundamental way.

That said, I wanted to post one of the "friend of the court" briefs that were filed on behalf of Second Amendment incorporation in this 7th Circuit case.

http://www.chicagoguncase.com/wp-content/u...009/02/lund.pdf

The brief was authored by Prof. Nelson Lund, and filed on behalf of 69 state legislators within the 7th circuit. Basically, what this means is that these people support the idea that the Second Amendment prohibits states and municipalities (in addition to the federal government) from infringing the fundamental and individual right to keep and bear arms.

So ... look at this as a list of those Illinois Senators and Representatives who signed the brief ... and who offer the strongest support of gun rights in the state of Illinois. I trust you will take the time to thank these people accordingly, and to offer them your support when possible.

NAMES AND OFFICES HELD BY AMICI CURIAE

Illinois

Rep. David Reis, lead Illinois Legislator

Sen. Will R. Haine

Sen. Linda Holmes

Sen. Deanna Demuzo

Sen. Mike Jacobs

Rep. Mark H. Beaubien, Jr.

Rep. Daniel V. Beiser

Rep. Bob Biggins

Rep. William B. Black

Rep. Mike Bost

Rep. John E. Bradley

Rep. Rich Brauer

Rep. John D. Cavaletto

Rep. Jim Durkin

Rep. Roger L. Eddy

Rep. Robert F. Flider

Rep. Gary Hanning

Rep. Jay C. Hoffman

Rep. Donald L. Moffitt

Rep. Richard P. Myers

Rep. Brandon W. Phelps

Rep. Raymond Poe

Rep. Robert W. Prichard

Rep. Harry R. Ramey, Jr.

Rep. Chapin Rose

Rep. Jim Sacia

Rep. Angelo Saviano

Rep. Timothy L. Schmitz

Rep. Ron Stephens

Rep. Ed Sullivan, Jr.

Rep. Michael W. Tryon

Rep. Patrick J. Verschoore

Rep. Ronald A. Wait

Rep. Jim Watson

Rep. Dave Winters

Hmm, it looks like johny forgot to provide an explicit link to this article on chicagoguncase.com,

and forgot to differentiate what's Alan Gura's text and what's his own.

Everything above the last paragraph in the previous post is a verbatim copy of Alan Gura's remarks posted 1/28 to chicagoguncase.com.

Link to the article

Thanks for posting the link, I thought I did along with the breif's link. I was in no way trying to take credit (If I was id be more crafty than just copy/paste :thumbsup:) for Alan's work posted directly on his website that I know many people on this forum frequent. I have posted links to his page before and dcguncase.com as well. Sorry for the any confusion.

Archived