Pro-2A Resolutions - Game Plan and Resources thread

GarandFan

DuPage was always a long shot at best. I got my first letter of rejection in 2007 and was happy that I actually got a board member to take up the cause and actively pursue it.

Caution, editorial follows.

DuPage is a county in transition. People who are sick and tired of the crime and corruption in Crook County flee to DuPage. That is why I moved here from Crook 10 years ago. Up until the last election Dupage had the distinction of being one of the only counties in Illinos where every elected official had an R after their name.

With the last election 3 Ds got elected to the county board. They fled the crime and corruption of Crook but unlike me, they brought with them exactly what they were fleeing. I get the politics even though I hate it. The current board does not want to give any ammo to the liberals out of Crook. There was a lot of work in the background that i didn't share here. My board member would forward me e-mails because he knew I had the ammo from all the resources we have here. In one of the he was asked "So, off the record, tell me, are you an NRA member?" to my advocate. Those are liberal code words for "are you are right winged extremist?" This lib was looking for some amo to use against him. My reply was to tell him that I had just signed him up for an NRA membership for the first year. I can't wait to see his reaction when he gets his card in the mail.

Editorial off:

I offered to make sure those fence sitters and antis got a few e-mails, faxes and calls but the board emember did not think it would win enough votes to make a difference. Making enemies out of friends isn't a good strategy when the bottom line is that all we get is a stronger voice but no closer to gaining back the rights we here have lost.

White, yellow red? If it isn't a win it doesn't matter much. In our cause, winning is all that has to matter.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a letter today from Hollie Kissane, Chairman of the Kane County Legislative Committee. They are still listed as white on the Pro2A map.

First a little background. All of the counties which remain white have been very elusive when I contact them, which is another way of saying I think they are ignoring me. Looking for alternative solutions and knowing they were going to be difficult counties I sent a few letters to some Reps and Senators in those districts. I explained what the Pro2A Resolution is all about, sent the map, and also explained some of the difficulties getting it heard by the county boards in their districts. I asked for any help they could extend in getting this resolution to the county board agenda for full review and vote.

When writing I tried to choose only those who showed some kind of support for gun-rights issues in the past or who had not voted in a way that suggested extremely strong support for gun control. Obviously, they would probably be most likely to help. However, one of the names I researched kind of fell in the middle ground: Representative Linda Chapa LaVia.

I've always considered her to be on the other side of the fence, but when looking up her history I was conflicted. Based on Project Vote Smart she hasn't much of a voting record on gun-related issues, only two that I could see in the past two years, yet the NRA ranks her with a solid F. Once endorsed by the Million Mom March, but also accused several times of sending mixed messages about her stand on 2A-related issues. Knowing there wasn't much to lose I decided to take a chance in writing to her and it looks like the gamble might have paid off. She did contact the Kane County Board about the matter and they are now contacting me.

According to the letter I received today, I have been invited to the next Legislative Committee meeting on Wednesday, May 27, at 9am, at the Kane County Government Center, Building A, 719 Batavia Avenue, Geneva IL 60134. They want me to speak to the committee on this topic.

Unfortunately, there is absolutely no chance I'll be able to attend that meeting so far away on such notice due to work (I'm actually on vacation right now and will be returning to work on the 26th).

If there is anyone available and willing to attend this meeting in my place please let me know as I am supposed to confirm my availability by phone prior to the 27th.

This could be a really good opportunity to get this resolution heard in Kane County and, quite possibly, split that four-block section of white counties in Chicago.

• 2 weeks later...
Kane county board to discuss Pro2A resolution TODAY June 3rd Beacon news story I am looking right now for the location/time/ and whether it is a public forum. Last minute story, I'm scrambling for information as I live in Kane county and have today off work.

Ok, the news article says that the Pro2A resolution will be presented to the executive committee. Their schedule suggests a 9AM start time in building A, county board room at the Kane County government center, Link to the meeting page HERE

Address is 719 So. Batavia Ave., Geneva, IL 60134. I don't know if it is open to the public or not.

I got a letter today from Hollie Kissane, Chairman of the Kane County Legislative Committee. They are still listed as white on the Pro2A map.

First a little background. All of the counties which remain white have been very elusive when I contact them, which is another way of saying I think they are ignoring me. Looking for alternative solutions and knowing they were going to be difficult counties I sent a few letters to some Reps and Senators in those districts. I explained what the Pro2A Resolution is all about, sent the map, and also explained some of the difficulties getting it heard by the county boards in their districts. I asked for any help they could extend in getting this resolution to the county board agenda for full review and vote.

When writing I tried to choose only those who showed some kind of support for gun-rights issues in the past or who had not voted in a way that suggested extremely strong support for gun control. Obviously, they would probably be most likely to help. However, one of the names I researched kind of fell in the middle ground: Representative Linda Chapa LaVia.

I've always considered her to be on the other side of the fence, but when looking up her history I was conflicted. Based on Project Vote Smart she hasn't much of a voting record on gun-related issues, only two that I could see in the past two years, yet the NRA ranks her with a solid F. Once endorsed by the Million Mom March, but also accused several times of sending mixed messages about her stand on 2A-related issues. Knowing there wasn't much to lose I decided to take a chance in writing to her and it looks like the gamble might have paid off. She did contact the Kane County Board about the matter and they are now contacting me.

According to the letter I received today, I have been invited to the next Legislative Committee meeting on Wednesday, May 27, at 9am, at the Kane County Government Center, Building A, 719 Batavia Avenue, Geneva IL 60134. They want me to speak to the committee on this topic.

Unfortunately, there is absolutely no chance I'll be able to attend that meeting so far away on such notice due to work (I'm actually on vacation right now and will be returning to work on the 26th).

If there is anyone available and willing to attend this meeting in my place please let me know as I am supposed to confirm my availability by phone prior to the 27th.

This could be a really good opportunity to get this resolution heard in Kane County and, quite possibly, split that four-block section of white counties in Chicago.

Did anyone respond to SirMatthew's request?

I also noticed this tidbit from the executive committee meeting of Feb 25, 2009.

NEW BUSINESS

Discussion Item: HB 245 – Firearms Concealed Permit –Kissane indicated she had spoken with Sheriff Perez on this Bill. He said the Sheriff’s Association did support this bill. Perez also indicated that Illinois and Wisconsin are the only states that do not have this law in place. The Sheriff provided the Chairman with a lot of information in support of this bill. Discussion followed. Lewis suggested following Sheriff Perez’s opinion but would also want to ask State’s Atty. Barsanti his opinion. Kissane mentioned that the states that do have this bill in place have experienced a decrease in crime rate. It was suggested that the Committee continue to watch this bill. No real discussion was had either way. Concern was raised that although people will be trained, the guns can fall into the wrong hands.

Did anyone respond to SirMatthew's request?

I'm not aware, but its possible someone did without informing everyone. If not, then I think it's pretty amazing it got out of the legislative committee. We need to be thanking some people, including Chapa LaVia, but I only wish I knew who else to thank for all the efforts in Kane.

To all the big and little things which were done by those great and small which led to a long-overdue victory...you know who you are...thanks for not giving up! :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

As some of you may know, Sangamon County board members unofficially support the Pro-2A County Resolution

but refuse to bring it before the board for an official vote. Therefore there is an effort underway

to vote in support of the resolution a piece of the county at a time.

The trustees of William township have passed the attached resolution in support of the Second

Amendment and the Right to Carry. They are inviting the other townships in the county to join them

in passing the resolution.

Williams township RESOLUTION (2).doc

Archived