Pro-2A Resolutions - Game Plan and Resources thread

GarandFan

Here are the contact info for 10 counties where it is believed that the boards either don't know about this or are not acting on it. I e-mailed all of them and I advise all of you to do the same. It don't matter whether or not you reside in any of them, we just want to make them abundantly aware. Just ask them if they have the Pro Second Amendment Resolution on their agenda.

Scott -

Barbara McDade (county clerk) countyclerk@wincoinet.com

DeWitt -

Jayne Usher (county clerk/recorder) Jusher@dewittcountyill.com

Henderson -

Marcella Cisna (county clerk) coclerk@accessus.net

Marshall -

Andrea Mahoney (county clerk) mcoclerk@mtco.com

Dennis Bogner (board chairman) dbogner@cin.net

LaSalle -

JoAnn Carretto (county clerk) countyclerk@lasallecounty.org

Thomas Lyons (county recorder) countyrecorder@lasallecounty.org

Kankakee -

Bruce Clark (county clerk) countyclerk@k3county.net

Karl Kruse (board chairman) kkruse@k3county.net

Whiteside -

Dana Nelson (county clerk) countyclerk@whiteside.org

Ogle -

Rebecca Huntley (county clerk/recorder) rebeccah@oglecounty.org

W. Ed Rice (board chairman) ocbc@oglecounty.org

Boone -

Pam McCullough (county clerk/recorder) pam@boonecountyil.org

Susan Anderson (board chairwoman) board@boonecountyil.org

DeKalb -

Sharon Holmes (county clerk/recorder) sholmes@dekalbcounty.org

Ruth Anne Tobias (county chairwoman) rtobias@niu.edu

I just got back from the Utah permit class at GAT and one of the attendees was a campaign chair for the Kane county Board chairwoman. I brought him up to speed on the 2A resolution and he was going to get back to me after talking to the chairwoman. He was of the opinion that it would pass if we get it before the board. He said there are quite a few pro gun people on the board. More optimistic here! :lips sealed:

One of the sentences I heard for the first time at the class on Saturday is now permanently etched into my brain and I will say it often when the subject under discussion is letting the police do the protecting and the gun owning. And it was said WITHOUT any derision toward the good and noble officers of the law, who do great work , often with little thanks dealing with often the dregs of society......but the reality is:

"When SECONDS count, the Police are only MINUTES away."

Given the admittedly HIGHLY unlikely participation in a self-defense incident, I would still MUCH rather be the one telling the Police I have no comment other than I wish to speak to my attorney than be the one they are drawing that chalk outline around. I would MUCH rather that.

I could use a little help here. I am going to be speaking to the Committee in January, and it seems the Chairman of the Committee feels that it is a "Waste of time". Here's the email I just received this morning.

Mr. *****,

I did receive your request via the email the other day and I have placed it on the agenda for the January 22 committee meeting.

Mr. *****, your questions are very difficult for me to answer but I will try my best. First, there are 5 members of the committee. I absolutely have no way of knowing how many, if any, members of the committee or members of the entire board are willing to support the Pro 2A Resolution. I guess you will need to make the presentation yourself.

Mr. *****, I do understand what you are trying to do here. Gathering support for this issue. However, this issue is not an issue that any "official" action can be taken on by the County Board. The Board has NO jurisdiction in this matter and if the board were to do anything it would mean NOTHING. In my opinion a lot of people would view this as a waste of time since any action would mean nothing and take up a lot of time that needs to be devoted to other things. Bottom line is that the county board has no jurisdiction in this matter and anything done by the board actually means "nothing". I say this not to try and discourage you but to state the facts. I am always a firm believer that if a citizen wishes to address the board that they may and I am honoring your request to be on the agenda and state your case.

Bryan Smith

Chair

Operations, Personnel & Legislative Committee

Macon County Board

I could use help in writing the persuasive speech for this, if anyone is willing and able. Thanks in advance.

One very valid point is that 61 other counties thought it was important enough to vote on it. Here is a letter one of the other members sent me that I used in Jackson County.

Second Amendment Resolution is within the scope of county business

During Illinois county board discussions regarding the Pro-Second Amendment Resolution, it has come to my attention that certain board members feel this issue is (1) redundant, because the right to keep and bear arms is already constitutionally protected, and (2) beyond the scope of county governments, because issues regarding constitutional rights ultimately fall on the state and federal governments.

Herein I argue that protection of the right of individual citizens to keep and bear arms is anything but redundant, and that it is indeed within the scope of Illinois county governments.

The Second Amendment to the US Constitution says that militias are necessary for the security of a free state, and that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. However, the Second Amendment is one of the few Bill of Rights provisions that has not yet come up for incorporation via the 14th Amendment. Because the Second Amendment has not yet been incorporated, it doesn't protect people against state infringement. The IL constitution (Section 22) likewise mentions the right to keep and bear arms, but is more explicit than the federal guarantee because it omits prefatory reference to militias: "...the right of the individual citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." However, as passed at the 1970 IL Constitutional Convention, the guarantee reads in full: "Subject only to the police power, the right of the individual citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." As I understand, the prefatory "subject to police power" clause was mandated by a strong Chicago contingent, generally favorable to gun control measures then, as they are now. What this really means then, for Illinois citizens, is that they have absolutely no constitutional protection from state government infringement on their right to keep and bear arms. "Subject only to police power" effectively means that the state legislature can enact, and the state police can enforce, any and all laws that would regulate or prohibit outright the possession of firearms by individual citizens. That means that Illinois citizen's "right" to own firearms is empty and meaningless, and indefensible in an Illinois court of law!

Precisely due to the facts outlined above, it is anything but redundant that Illinois counties discuss and pass Pro-Second Amendment Resolutions. This issue is indeed county business; counties are among the most local governmental units and as such, counties can best understand and represent the wishes of their citizens. If government is "by the people and for the people", the political wishes of the people are passed upward to ever-larger units of government. Counties inform state senators and representatives, who in turn, inform the state legislature as a whole. That Illinois counties pass resolutions is indeed their business, because with such resolutions, they inform the state legislature on crucial matters concerning the rights and wishes of their citizens.

See more about this letter here:

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6974

Here was my response:

Mr. Smith:

I'd like to thank you for taking the time to allow me to be placed on the agenda, and I look forward to meeting you there. I can see from your point of view when you mention that the county has no jurisdiction in the matter and that some members may feel that it is a waste of time. But I feel that I must disagree with you, which I will get into more detail at the meeting (unless you would like for me to do so prior). In fact, there are 61 counties in Illinois thus far that have felt that this is county business, and that is not viewed as a waste of time. And this is all since April 2007 (a mere 8 months). Not one single county in Illinois that has had the Pro Second Amendment Resolution placed on there agenda, and has voted on it, has voted against the Resolution...61 counties have voted on the Resolution, and 61 counties have passed the Resolution. That in it's self is enough to convince me that I am not alone in believing that this is the proper route to ensure state legislators are properly informed that Illinois residents are standing up to say "Enough is enough." Civil Rights are not to be infringed upon, and this sir, is indeed a Civil Rights matter.

Counties are among the most local governmental units and as such, counties can best understand and represent the wishes of their citizens. If government is "by the people and for the people", the political wishes of the people are passed upward to ever-larger units of government. Counties inform state senators and representatives, who in turn, inform the state legislature as a whole. Thus allowing the state legislatures to be properly informed as to the wishes of the people.

V/R,

Dustin Meier

Good letter, tplane...you would have convinced me with that letter!

Keep up the great work. We will help you with some talking points before your meeting on 22 Jan 08. Just remember, your time will be limited so what you say has to be brief and punchy, yet relevant and respectful. Your obvious sincerity will go a long way, too.

Keep up the great work. We will help you with some talking points before your meeting on 22 Jan 08. Just remember, your time will be limited so what you say has to be brief and punchy, yet relevant and respectful. Your obvious sincerity will go a long way, too.

Thank you, I am hoping that it has the same effect on the Committee Chairman I sent it to. Any idea what the time limit is? I was thinking around 15 minutes, but it would be nice if I could be even more direct than that and still be as effective (if not more effective).

Ditto!

Outsatnding work, tplane! You are setting a fine example of what has to be done to take our state back. I sincerely appreciate your hard efforts! :sorcerer:

Whenever it comes time for Peoria County, I researched a bit. Aaron Schock ® is the State rep for that county (Endorsement is on Pro2a website) is from that area...I think he can be a big help since Peoria County has such a large population.

I spoke with a gentlman from a local gun club this evening. He is going to make a few phone calls, and at least he and I (possibly a few other) are going out for coffee to discuss our game plan. I am considering contacting Bob Flider (the state rep for District 101) and requesting endorsement as well. In 2005, he recieved an "A" rating from the NRA and has attempted a handful of pro-gun bills. One I found was also supported by Davind Reis, who is now supporting Pro2A. So we'll see. How does one go about requesting a state representative for an endorsement and full support? Possibly pass him some information and flat out make the request?

Once again, thinking out loud...as always, comments are welcome.

Whenever it comes time for Peoria County, I researched a bit. Aaron Schock ® is the State rep for that county (Endorsement is on Pro2a website) is from that area...I think he can be a big help since Peoria County has such a large population.

I spoke with a gentlman from a local gun club this evening. He is going to make a few phone calls, and at least he and I (possibly a few other) are going out for coffee to discuss our game plan. I am considering contacting Bob Flider (the state rep for District 101) and requesting endorsement as well. In 2005, he recieved an "A" rating from the NRA and has attempted a handful of pro-gun bills. One I found was also supported by Davind Reis, who is now supporting Pro2A. So we'll see. How does one go about requesting a state representative for an endorsement and full support? Possibly pass him some information and flat out make the request?

Excellent work, Tplane, and good ideas. You might wait until more people chime in, but I'd say if you want to ask for an ensorsement from someone, you might just ask. I would preface that by saying to contact the Pro2A folks...they have been working hard on those issues of endorsements and you ought to be sure you're on the same page.

So, I think I will go ahead as listing "Tplane and colleagues" as officially working on the resolution in Peoria.

Again, great work, and hope you keep it up. Best wishes!

Excellent work, Tplane, and good ideas. You might wait until more people chime in, but I'd say if you want to ask for an endorsement from someone, you might just ask. I would preface that by saying to contact the Pro2A folks...they have been working hard on those issues of endorsements and you ought to be sure you're on the same page.

So, I think I will go ahead as listing "Tplane and colleagues" as officially working on the resolution in Peoria.

Again, great work, and hope you keep it up. Best wishes!

Hey now! I'm still trying to figure out how all of this works! But... :beer1: ...why not. :sorcerer: I want to devote my efforts to one county at a time though, I was just looking around to try to figure out the background on our endorsements and found that Aaron Schock was from Peoria and also the Rep for Peoria County.....but, since my grandparents live in Peoria and I have some family up there, I may be able to put some of them to work. And besides, my grandpa's just a good ol' boy, and love's to go out back from time to time and fire off a few dozen rounds at some targets, so he would probably be more than willing to assist since he's always looking for something to keep him busy these days.

As for the endorsements, I am getting advice from this site as well as the Pro2A guys prior to making any moves on that. I don't want to end up countering any work that has been done...Like our SA said here in Macon, should go through fairly easily, but not to mention the NRA or ISRA because it appears to come from a more personal level if the organizations are left out of the conversation. This was his advice for Macon County, so with that said, if there are certain "trigger words" that close off someone's mind and ears, I want to know about them before I go talking to them about the resolution.

I don't think it will even be an issue. Remember, 1,500 gun owners in yellow shirts in Springfield was not a newsworthy event.

I know I'm taking this off-topic a little, but I was catching up on the posts I've missed and have to comment.

1,500 gun owners in yellow shirts in Daley Plaza demanding a public meeting with the Mayor and/or Cook County board, would definitely cause a newsworthy stir. Daley hates bad press for Chicago, and while he does "control" a lot of the media around here, a peaceful "civil rights" protest in the center of downtown would more than likely make the news, particularly if timed with the SCOTUS case. Just a thought, probably for another post.

My $.02,

w00dc4ip

Okay, now that I finally caught up on theis entire post. I'd like to know when we are thinking about approaching Cook with this. I know it'll be last on the list, but I can start building support locally if I have some sort of timeframe. Also, I think the Cook County board member to approach with this would be Peraica. Any time I've seen a record of 2A issues voted on in Cook, he seems to vote Pro2A. Anyway, back to contacting board members about the Sufferdin BS.

w00dc4ip

Alright y'all...how's this?

Representative Flider:

I am a resident of Decatur, Illinois. After doing some research, I have found that you are my State Representative. Also, with further research, I noticed that you have been actively involved in supporting a number of Bills that are typically in the best interest of the Civil Rights of law abiding gun owners in Illinois. You also received an "A" rating from the National Rifle Association in 2005.

With this being said, I would like to inform you that a number of private citizens in Macon County are in the process of presenting a "Pro Second Amendment Resolution" to the Macon County Board, as well as assisting other counties, in order to show state legislature the will and desire of Illinois citizens. The Pro 2A Resolution has been placed on the January 22, 2008 agenda for the Operations, Personnel, & Legislative Committee in Macon County for review prior to going to the full board for voting. 61 counties have had the opportunity to vote on this resolution, all 61 counties have passed it, and none of the counties have vetoed it.

I have informed you of this in hopes of gaining your support as a fellow citizen and due to the respectable nature of your position in the Illinois government. I am also asking you to review the website dedicated to this Resolution. http://www.pro2aresolution.com is the web address. I would also like to inform you that the above website is run by volunteers and the domain name has been donated for the informational purposes of anyone who is interested in knowing what the Pro Second Amendment Resolution is all about. I ask you to review the website so that you can make an informed decision.

What decision you might ask? I am respectfully requesting your full support and your endorsement showing support for the Pro Second Amendment Resolution. You will be in good company as there are a few other state representatives who have made their position well known, some of which I believe you have worked with in opposing gun control (one in particular being Mr. David Reis Representative for the 108th District). There is reference on the above website as to the current endorsements for the Resolution. I have made this request because of your record of supporting Civil Rights, mostly in my area as Mayor, but in your current position as well for Illinois citizens.

Please, feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

V/R,

Dustin Meier

Also, I hear the Pro 2A has been discussed in detail on the House floor....I'd say we are making quite the statement already![/b]

Please let us know everything in regards to this (if you can) the who, what, why and so on! This is very exciting!

I am working on it, all I know is that it had been discussed. I don't know if it was formal or informal, I don't know what date, or how is going to support it. I have a number of questions out there right now and I am waiting for responses. As soon as I know, I will be posting what I find out here. If anyone else finds something out, let us know! It sounded like good news that it was discussed by the way the email I received was written...

... Rep. Reis even told us that our web-site and movement was talked about in great detail on the House Floor and that he thought we would probably pick up some endorsements from that, we can only hope so....

That's ALL the information I have on it! Not much, but it is a start!

Also, I hear the Pro 2A has been discussed in detail on the House floor....I'd say we are making quite the statement already![/b]

Please let us know everything in regards to this (if you can) the who, what, why and so on! This is very exciting!

I know that live audio and video are available for legislature discussions.....so aren't transcripts published for discussions of the state legislature? If so, where would we find them?

I know that live audio and video are available for legislature discussions.....so aren't transcripts published for discussions of the state legislature? If so, where would we find them?

Here, here, or here but I don't have the date this was supposed to have happened yet.

Here is the email I sent to Rep. Flider yesterday...Notice I did not request his endorsement or his support, namely inquiries on his position. Now his office is looking into informing US of what the Pro 2A is. (sneaky sneaky, though not my intention, just how it came out :frantics: )

Representative Flider,

My name is Dustin Meier. I live in Decatur, Illinois. I would like to personally thank you for all of the hard work you have done for our area, as well as your efforts to improve the way of life throughout Illinois. Today, I received information regarding the discussion of a resolution that is being passed by numerous county boards throughout Illinois. It is called the "Pro Second Amendment Resolution" and seems to be making significant progress in helping the voices of Illinois citizens to be heard. I received an email this morning that had mentioned the fact that the above Resolution and movement was discussed in detail on the House floor. Do you know anything about this? What date did this happen? Where can I acquire any information on what was discussed? How far in depth did the discussion go, did the Representatives voice their positions? What is your position on the topic? Any transcripts would be appreciated.

In the past, I had not realized how much I could be involved in what actually happens in my community when it comes down to local and state laws. Nor did I believe that there was such I dire need for the community to remain involved. This was until I returned to my hometown of Decatur after completing my enlistment in the United States Navy. I was stationed in San Diego, CA and I came home with a new outlook, and wanted to become involved. The Civil Rights of gun owners was a topic that I came across while applying for my FOID card here in Illinois, and I did not realize until recently how difficult it actually is here in our state to remain a law abiding citizen with the ever changing laws pertaining to the ownership of a firearm. Laws seem to be changing frequently and new bills seem to be presented nearly every week to further restrict or regulate firearm ownership in Illinois. Therefore for a law abiding citizen to remain just that, he/she must be constantly updated on the newest laws to ensure that what was legal yesterday has not become illegal today.

I have intentions of building a business relationship with you as I intend to remain involved on a number of other issues as they arise, therefore, with your experience and expertise in the political arena, and with you being the man who delivers the voices of the people in District 101, I feel I must know where you stand on a number of topics (current and future) as well as keeping you informed of where my community stands on those topics. I believe that should we build a good working relationship, I may be able to assist you in getting the public to support you on the topics and by helping to keep the public informed here on the ground. Since the government is of the people, by the people, and for the people...keeping the public properly informed as to the topics, this will allow the government to know the people's thoughts when it comes to their best interest.

As for now, the topic at hand is the "Pro Second Amendment Resolution." if you could please reply with answers to my questions above, or at least some of them if you are unable to answer others at this time. Thank you very much for your time.

V/R,

Dustin Meier

Decatur, IL

I recieved a response from Representative Flider's office today (I merely sent out an email yesterday to introduce myself and offer my thanks to him...I didn't even get a chance to send off that other email yet!)

Here is the response:

Dustin - Representative Flider has asked me to look into this for you. I will check on the resolution and get back to you as soon as possible.

I am sure you will be please to know that Representative Flider has always supported gun owner rights and will continue to do so.

Tricia Cordulack

District Office

I think I am going to have to edit the other letter I wrote to coincide with the next reply from Rep. Flider....that way there is an "official" request for endorsement (since the email I sent didn't even mention a request for endorsement or support...just basic information!) :thumbsup:

Comments, suggestions?

DRAFT COUNTY PRESENTATION:

Chairperson, members of the board, thank you for the opportunity to speak this evening.

The constitution is under attack by persons who wish to ignore the guarantee embodied in the Second Amendment to the United States constitution. Many of those attackers are elected officials who have chosen to ignore their oath to protect those rights and instead have elected to trample them. I come before this body today to present an opportunity for those representing the people of Kane County to affirm their oath of office to defend the constitution of the United States and that of the State of Illinois against these ongoing attacks.

Our own State Attorney General, Lisa Madigan, has filed an amicus brief before the U.S. Supreme Court in the case of D.C. vs Heller in support of the District of Columbia’s collective rights position that they have the authority to ban handguns and render all firearms inoperable within the District. What about your right to protect your family? I don’t find comfort that in the city often dubbed as the murder capitol of the United States the fact that when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Chicago and Cook County politicians are constantly attempting to spread their “sensible” gun control laws throughout the state. They have redefined the word sensible. To gun control politicians sensible means nothing short of eventual prohibition. Sensible should mean measures to prohibit or punish the unlawful use of firearms. Sensible should be restrictions or penalties that impact the criminal acquisition or use of firearms without placing undue burden on the free exercise of our constitutional rights.

The Second Amendment is not only about hunting or target shooting. The Pro Second Amendment resolution embodies a commitment to protecting all lawful uses of firearms. Supporters are not breaking new ground here. We are just affirming the law of the land; there is nothing controversial about it.

A few counties have objected to some of the language in the resolution. The language “unconstitutional and beyond lawful Legislative Authority!” is not a statement that all gun control is unconstitutional, but just those laws that cross the line and infringe on rights protected.

This resolution is a grass roots way of telling Chicago, Cook County and the State legislature that we have had enough. Please don’t let the politicians residing in Cook County export their crime deterring laws onto the rest of the state as we are all painfully aware of their failure. It is time to stop heaping one law on top of another and to use this opportunity to review the laws we have and remove the burdens from the lawful and place them squarely and firmly where they belong, on the criminal.

Forty-four states have adopted similar right to bear arms provisions in their constitutions. Sixty-one Illinois counties have passed a 2A resolution. I have foregone citing facts about firearms or crime as any such data is irrelevant to the exercise of Second Amendment rights; after all, it is the law of the land.

So what is all this fuss over?

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a Free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

A lot of thought and debate went into those twenty-seven words. I’ve read those words, I agree with those words and I will protect and defend the meaning given those words by our forefathers. Will you?

Thank you

jvf

Lockman,

GREAT presentation. The only small suggestion I would make would be to save the comments about potential objections and use them if objections come up. It might give someone who's looking for a reason to object just the reason they're looking for - the same with Att Gen comments - some might see that as a lead in to side with her since she IS the att.gen. . . . (see below)

Comments, suggestions?

DRAFT COUNTY PRESENTATION:

Chairperson, members of the board, thank you for the opportunity to speak this evening.

The constitution is under attack by persons who wish to ignore the guarantee embodied in the Second Amendment to the United States constitution. Many of those attackers are elected officials who have chosen to ignore their oath to protect those rights and instead have elected to trample them. I come before this body today to present an opportunity for those representing the people of Kane County to affirm their oath of office to defend the constitution of the United States and that of the State of Illinois against these ongoing attacks.

Our own State Attorney General, Lisa Madigan, has filed an amicus brief before the U.S. Supreme Court in the case of D.C. vs Heller in support of the District of Columbia’s collective rights position that they have the authority to ban handguns and render all firearms inoperable within the District. What about your right to protect your family? I don’t find comfort that in the city often dubbed as the murder capitol of the United States the fact that when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Chicago and Cook County politicians are constantly attempting to spread their “sensible” gun control laws throughout the state. They have redefined the word sensible. To gun control politicians sensible means nothing short of eventual prohibition. Sensible should mean measures to prohibit or punish the unlawful use of firearms. Sensible should be restrictions or penalties that impact the criminal acquisition or use of firearms without placing undue burden on the free exercise of our constitutional rights.

The Second Amendment is not only about hunting or target shooting. The Pro Second Amendment resolution embodies a commitment to protecting all lawful uses of firearms. Supporters are not breaking new ground here. We are just affirming the law of the land; there is nothing controversial about it.

A few counties have objected to some of the language in the resolution. The language “unconstitutional and beyond lawful Legislative Authority!” is not a statement that all gun control is unconstitutional, but just those laws that cross the line and infringe on rights protected.

This resolution is a grass roots way of telling Chicago, Cook County and the State legislature that we have had enough. Please don’t let the politicians residing in Cook County export their crime deterring laws onto the rest of the state as we are all painfully aware of their failure. It is time to stop heaping one law on top of another and to use this opportunity to review the laws we have and remove the burdens from the lawful and place them squarely and firmly where they belong, on the criminal.

Forty-four states have adopted similar right to bear arms provisions in their constitutions. Sixty-one Illinois counties have passed a 2A resolution. I have foregone citing facts about firearms or crime as any such data is irrelevant to the exercise of Second Amendment rights; after all, it is the law of the land.

So what is all this fuss over?

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a Free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

A lot of thought and debate went into those twenty-seven words. I’ve read those words, I agree with those words and I will protect and defend the meaning given those words by our forefathers. Will you?

Thank you

jvf

Molly,

I can see your point about the objections.

As for the AG, Her opinion is in full support of the trampling of our rights. She is one of the people the resolution message is meant for.

I agree with Molly on the leaving out of the direct reference to the AG. IMO I would say to try to maintain a middle ground stance, leaning to the side of the 2A. Basically trying to refrain from "singling" any one person out in the crowd. Try to look at it from an "Pro Gun Control" point of view....if anything you say can be used in the argument against supporting the individual rights defined in the 2A, either don't use that phrase, or word it differently. I feel that the Board members don't want to feel as if they are under attack, so sometimes being less agressive is more productive.

I haven't been in front of the Committee or Board here in Macon County yet, but the advice I am getting from a number of people both from this site and around my county, is to try to stick with the presentations that have been used in the other 61 counties...one person in particular that made this recomendation was the State's Attorney for Macon County. All in all, go with the route you are most comfortable with, but also keep in mind, you will be confronting a number of people at the same time, some will require and agressive stance to get the point across, others will be shunned away by anything but the highest of respect for them. While there will be a common ground to efficiently reach out to those who stand somewhere in the middle.

Just try to put yourself in the shoes of the board members, and imagine your response to whatever presentaion you choose to give. This is just my point of view, and let it be known that I do agree with your points, I just fear that certain points that were made might result in adverse effects.

we need people on the ground that actually live in the tougher counties to make it work. maybe the ISRA and NRA could help. i hate to directly involve them, but maybe they could point us to some local activists in those counties who know how to stir things up.

How's this for help on the ground?

I posted this in the Back Room, but after thinking about it, it seems more fitting here.

This is from today's Herald & Review in Decatur, IL. I was unable to locate a direct link, so this is quoted directly from the paper:

DECATUR

Flider advisory committees

Residents of the 101st Illinois House District are invited by state Rep. Bob Flider, D-Mount Zion, to serve on several advisory committees he is reconstituting to assist him in developin positions on key legislation next spring.

"I have formed these advisory committees so that I can hear first-hand from local residents about the issues that are important to them." Flider said.

The committees are senior citizens, agriculture, Second Amendment, eductation, labor and public utilities. Committee members will be invited to participate in meetings, receive periodic legislative updates and have a direct line of communication with Flider.

To participate, call Flider's district office at 428-2708. The 101st District covers Moultie County and portions of Macon and Shelby counties.

I called this evening, if you are in the 101st District, and want to help the People be heard, call and offer assistance. If you are not in the 101st District, call your Rep. to see if they are developing similar committees.

Archived