Requirements for private handgun sale in cook county

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jawman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 06:01 PM

Are there any additional requirements for the private sale/transfer of a handgun if seller and buyer are both located in Cook county?

Let's say the seller is a Chicago resident, and the buyer is a Tinley Park resident, both part of Cook County. I know on a state level, the seller needs to run the buyers FOID on the ISP website to get approval, then can make the sale, wait the 3 day/72 hour period, and then the buyer can accept delivery of the physical firearm. And a good idea to create a bill of sale with necessary info, serial #, etc, and signature of buyer/seller (a good bill of sale form is in the For Sale or Trade section of this forum).

But would anything additional be necessary for Cook County/Chicago? Gun is a Glock 17.

Welcome to the internet, where everyone is an expert except you.

#2 mauserme

Eliminating the element of surprise one bill at a time.

• Admin
  • 22,144 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 06:04 PM

The county would like you to pay a tax.

#3 jawman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 06:06 PM

Who pays the tax, the buyer, or the seller? Isn't that only for dealers and retail sales...Not private transfers?

They would like? Or they require?

How does the tax get paid...?

Edited by jawman, 07 October 2020 - 06:07 PM.

#4 mauserme

• Admin
  • 22,144 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 06:12 PM

I believe they expect it of private transfers as well.

If it ever has been paid in a private transfer, I suppose it was probably the buyer who paid it.

#5 Euler

• Members
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 06:12 PM

Who pays the tax, the buyer, or the seller? Isn't that only for dealers and retail sales...Not private transfers?

The seller is responsible for paying taxes. Even if the seller doesn't collect it from the buyer, the seller is still responsible. For a private individual, there's a form to be filed with personal income taxes.

Unless it's a house or maybe a car, no one enforces it, hence "would like."
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.

- Albert Camus, Resistance, Rebellion, and Death, 1960.

#6 101abn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 06:13 PM

You can sell anywhere as long it is not across state lines. That being said its the buyers responsibility as to where it is kept regarding the magazine capacity. If i’m incorrect I’m sure some one will speak up.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Μολὼν λαβέ

#7 jawman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 06:16 PM

The seller is responsible for paying taxes. Even if the seller doesn't collect it from the buyer, the seller is still responsible. For a private individual, there's a form to be filed with personal income taxes.

Unless it's a house or maybe a car, no one enforces it, hence "would like."

Interesting. Thanks for the info Euler. Any idea where this form can be found?

#8 mauserme

• Admin
  • 22,144 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 06:17 PM

Euler's answer is better in regard to who would remit the tax.  I'm sure the county doesn't really care who ultimately pays it.

#9 Euler

• Members
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 06:23 PM

Interesting. Thanks for the info Euler. Any idea where this form can be found?

It would be on the Dept of Revenue web site somewhere or included in just about any tax prep software, although it may require a "premium" version.

Try not to think about it too much. There are no rewards for paying more taxes than anyone else.
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.

- Albert Camus, Resistance, Rebellion, and Death, 1960.

#10 chislinger

• Members
  • 7,139 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:37 PM

Are there any additional requirements for the private sale/transfer of a handgun if seller and buyer are both located in Cook county?

Let's say the seller is a Chicago resident, and the buyer is a Tinley Park resident, both part of Cook County. I know on a state level, the seller needs to run the buyers FOID on the ISP website to get approval, then can make the sale, wait the 3 day/72 hour period, and then the buyer can accept delivery of the physical firearm. And a good idea to create a bill of sale with necessary info, serial #, etc, and signature of buyer/seller (a good bill of sale form is in the For Sale or Trade section of this forum).

But would anything additional be necessary for Cook County/Chicago? Gun is a Glock 17.

Go outside the county for the transaction.

"I'm not worried about following the U.S. Constitution." - Washington County, Alabama Judge Nick Williams

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users