Photo

Chicago to Thumb its Nose at Preemption

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mauserme

Eliminating the element of surprise one bill at a time.

• Admin
  • 16,878 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:02 PM

I can't envision a way they can do this for people licensed under the FCCA:

http://chicago.sunti...ves-at-rallies/

EDITORIAL: Chicago can do without guns and knives at rallies

EDITORIALS 09/07/2017, 08:49pm

On Wednesday, Ald. Edward Burke (14th) and Ald. Ariel Reboyras (30th) introduced an ordinance that would ban guns, knives, sharp objects and other weapons from public assemblies in the city. ...

Existing laws in Illinois already ban guns at many gatherings. ... Illinois does permit the concealed carrying of firearms, but not at public gatherings that require a permit. Also off limits are parks, where many public gatherings take place.

But not every public assembly requires a permit and is in a park .... Many public assemblies just happen, such as Tuesday’s spontaneous protest at Federal Plaza .... The final ordinance will have to make clear which kinds of events are covered and, if it is to hold up in court, not give authorities a wide berth to make arbitrary decisions.

Even then, given the state’s protections for the concealed carry of weapons, the city’s ordinance might prove to hold up best for limiting other weapons. In addition to guns, the proposed ordinance, as written so far, bans “knives, weapons, sharp objects, shields, fireworks, chains, bats, clubs, sticks, batons, and any other rod-like instrument” at public gatherings.

Link to ILGA House Audio/Video..........Link to ILGA Senate Audio/Video ..........Advanced Digital Media Link ..........Blue Room Stream Link

Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. (Ephesians 4:31)

On 5/25/2017, Superintendent Eddie Johnson predicted a 50% reduction is Chicago violence within 3 years of SB1722 becoming law.  The bill was signed into law on 6/23/2017. The clock is now ticking.

#2 spanishjames

• Supporting Members Team
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:17 PM

They don't want Antifa to wreak havoc at rallies, but they can't say so for fear of having to admit that they're the real problem. So they write an ordinance which essentially disarms the Antifa thugs (rod-like instruments), but say it's to prevent CCL holders from bringing guns and knives to rallies. Got it.
TRUMP 2016!

#3 OldMarineVet

• 1,694 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:59 PM

I can't envision a way they can do this for people licensed under the FCCA:

http://chicago.sunti...ves-at-rallies/

EDITORIAL: Chicago can do without guns and knives at rallies

EDITORIALS 09/07/2017, 08:49pm

On Wednesday, Ald. Edward Burke (14th) and Ald. Ariel Reboyras (30th) introduced an ordinance that would ban guns, knives, sharp objects and other weapons from public assemblies in the city. ...

Existing laws in Illinois already ban guns at many gatherings. ... Illinois does permit the concealed carrying of firearms, but not at public gatherings that require a permit. Also off limits are parks, where many public gatherings take place.

But not every public assembly requires a permit and is in a park .... Many public assemblies just happen, such as Tuesday’s spontaneous protest at Federal Plaza .... The final ordinance will have to make clear which kinds of events are covered and, if it is to hold up in court, not give authorities a wide berth to make arbitrary decisions.

Even then, given the state’s protections for the concealed carry of weapons, the city’s ordinance might prove to hold up best for limiting other weapons. In addition to guns, the proposed ordinance, as written so far, bans “knives, weapons, sharp objects, shields, fireworks, chains, bats, clubs, sticks, batons, and any other rod-like instrument” at public gatherings.

Agreed. Illinois also currently does not recognize CCL holders from other states for now. As long as people have no intent to commit crimes with knives, they should be able to carry knives.  Despite the 2nd Amendment, the rest of those "weapons" are not protected.

But it doesn't sound like there were any weapon issues in that spontaneous protest mentioned in the article. So what's the point?  Are they just "never let(ting) a serious crisis (from Charlottesville) go to waste?"

Edited by OldMarineVet, 08 September 2017 - 05:00 PM.

#4 mauserme

Eliminating the element of surprise one bill at a time.

• Admin
  • 16,878 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:15 PM

Link to Proposed Ordinance

(click on the "Text" tab)

Link to ILGA House Audio/Video..........Link to ILGA Senate Audio/Video ..........Advanced Digital Media Link ..........Blue Room Stream Link

Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. (Ephesians 4:31)

On 5/25/2017, Superintendent Eddie Johnson predicted a 50% reduction is Chicago violence within 3 years of SB1722 becoming law.  The bill was signed into law on 6/23/2017. The clock is now ticking.

#5 BobPistol

• Members
  • 7,311 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:44 PM

I predict another check to the 2AF and NRA. 

The Second Amendment of the Constitution protects the rest.

#6 InterestedBystander

• 3,085 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:19 PM

..."SECTION 3. The provisions of this ordinance are declared to be separate and severable. The invalidity of any provision of this ordinance, or the invalidity of the application thereof to any person or circumstance, shall not affect the validity of the remainder of this ordinance, or the validity of its application to other persons or circumstances."...
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

#7 RoadyRunner

• Members
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:35 PM

It's almost as if they expect some parts to be thrown out in court, and don't want the whole thing invalidating...

Edited by RoadyRunner, 08 September 2017 - 09:36 PM.

IC Supporting member
NRA life member
NRA certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Illinois Certified Concealed Carry Instructor

#8 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• Members
  • 12,831 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:20 AM

I can't bring my rod-like instrument?

Have all boated who fish?

#9 Plinkermostly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:24 AM

No piccolo or fife  -- going to leave only drums -- with no sticks!

#10 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• Members
  • 12,831 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:27 AM

Now I will have to buy a 2.5 inch switchblade. If I had my gun I believe state law would preempt that. I normally carry a 2.5 inch Kershaw folder, but it's not a switchblade so my FOID wouldn't preempt that knife.

#11 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• Members
  • 12,831 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:29 AM

My rod-like instrument is longer than 2.5 but I don't believe they set any minimum or maximum lengths on those.

Stupid speelchick.

Edited by Mr. Fife, 09 September 2017 - 07:32 AM.

#12 jagt48

• Members
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 12:55 PM

I can't bring my rod-like instrument?

I... On second thought, I like not being in "time out," so I'll hold my tongue...

#13 quackersmacker

• 1,233 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:57 PM

I certainly hope so.  If you can't drain the swamp, at least wipe out their cash!

Life Member --- NRA

Life Member --- Second Amendment Foundation

Member        --- ISRA

Member        --- Single Action Shooting Society    [Lt John Dunbar]

Member        --- Aurora Sportsmen's Club

Member        --- Tri County Gun Club

Fellow Members:  Please consider making at least an annual $25 contribution to this fine organization, which has proven its worth -----and you will then become a member of the Supporting Members Team.   In this case, it's definitely about putting your money where your mouth is!   And, getting results.  Who knows what the future holds.....these may just be some of the best dollars you'll ever spend.

#14 Plinkermostly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:51 AM

I certainly hope so.  If you can't drain the swamp, at least wipe out their OUR tax cash!

Fixed it for you.

#15 JTHunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:31 PM

I certainly hope so.  If you can't drain the swamp, at least wipe out their cash!

The problems are that it isn't "their" cash.  It's primarily the poor sucker tax payers with a little thrown in from the likes of Bloomnut and Soros.

“We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.” - - Abraham Lincoln

“Small minds adhere to the letter of the law; great minds dispense Justice.” - - S. C. Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes

Life member NAHC, Endowment member NRA

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users