COMPETENT gunsmith in Chicago area?

jawman

I currently have Trijicon HD XR sights on my M&P Shield, but want to switch them to the Ameriglo Pro i-dots. I also want to convert an M&P 40 to 9mm via an Apex 9mm conversion barrel, which will need to be fit by a gunsmith. That being said I am looking for a COMPETENT gunsmith that has experience with both of these tasks. The sights I'm sure will be easy, but the barrel fitting is more concerning. I live in Chicago, but sometimes travel to the Orland Park area to visit family. I'd prefer finding a good gunsmith in Chicago, but if that does not exist, then Orland Park area is my backup. Any recommendations?

I know that sights aren't difficult to install on your own, but I lack the tools required, so I'd rather just pay someone who knows what they are doing and can install them without marking up the finish on the gun and can zero them correctly.

Thank you!

I currently have Trijicon HD XR sights on my M&P Shield, but want to switch them to the Ameriglo Pro i-dots. I also want to convert an M&P 40 to 9mm via an Apex 9mm conversion barrel, which will need to be fit by a gunsmith. That being said I am looking for a COMPETENT gunsmith that has experience with both of these tasks. The sights I'm sure will be easy, but the barrel fitting is more concerning. I live in Chicago, but sometimes travel to the Orland Park area to visit family. I'd prefer finding a good gunsmith in Chicago, but if that does not exist, then Orland Park area is my backup. Any recommendations?

I know that sights aren't difficult to install on your own, but I lack the tools required, so I'd rather just pay someone who knows what they are doing and can install them without marking up the finish on the gun and can zero them correctly.

Thank you!

I have had work done both at Freddie Bear in Tinley Park, and at Shore Galleries, including sight replacement. Both of them are competent and I had no problem with the work. As for the barrel conversion fitting, I have Glocks, so my barrels are just drop-in conversions so I couldn't tell you if they can do that work.

I think at the very least, Freddie Bear's gunsmith is full service, and they have been doing work for many years there.

OP, if you follow that link, Glenn is listed. I and many other people have him work on our guns. A sight install and barrel fitting would be trivial for him.

Give him a call. He'll be more than happy to talk to you about your project. He's right in Elmwood Park so that's about as close to Chicago as you can get without actually being in it.

There's also Done Wright Gun Repair in Crystal Lake. I've only had a couple of experiences with the owner/operator so far, but I've been very impressed with his professionalism, the quality of the work, and the pricing. He's also a really nice guy.

http://donewrightgunrepairllc.com/#top

Ditto that. He even opened early so I could drop off a pistol for sight change, and had it done by the time I needed it later that day.

There's also Done Wright Gun Repair in Crystal Lake. I've only had a couple of experiences with the owner/operator so far, but I've been very impressed with his professionalism, the quality of the work, and the pricing. He's also a really nice guy.

http://donewrightgunrepairllc.com/#top

Ditto that. He even opened early so I could drop off a pistol for sight change, and had it done by the time I needed it later that day.

He did the same for me, I couldn't get off of work early so I wouldn't be able to make it down to him until about a half hour after he closed for the night and he let me both drop my gun off AND pick it up 30 min after he was closed (I brought him a Spunky Dunkers doughnut as a thank you heh). Outstanding customer service and just an all-around decent guy. I can't recommend him enough (I even went so far as to give his card to a couple guys I work with who shoot/hunt).

Archived