Glock say it ain't so

patriot1776

its like everything else these days, gun companies are just like car companies and they dont seem to have a problem using the customer as a beta tester.........I just ordered a g19 gen3 (got a great price) but gen5 will probobly be sorted out in 6-10 months just like the gen4 had recoil spring problems when they came out too. In my book the ultimate g19 would be a gen3 with no finger grooves, button rifling, and front slide bevels(like the gen5/g26) but thats me

My Gen 29SFs (late 3rd Gen or "3.5" Gen) have never had a problem with feeding any ammunition, using KKM, Lone Wolf, or EFK Fire Dragon conversion/replacement barrels, and the finger grooves feel like they lock my fingers in place. As for the Glock standard barrel, I have actually never fired anything through it, on any of the Glocks I own (29SFs and G30SF—has a .460 Rowland barrel in it). I actually never liked the stock barrels and how "loose" they feel when I shot them in other Glocks. I keep them in case I ever need a backup barrel that will digest any old garbage ammunition I throw through it, but the KKMs that I use the most are perfectly reliable and fully supported in the chamber.

its like everything else these days, gun companies are just like car companies and they dont seem to have a problem using the customer as a beta tester.........

Not just gun companies, but also software companies as well.

They cheap out on QA and use the end user as their QA team - and quality suffers.

Every first generation or next generation is going to have kinks or bugs. This is true with guns, automobiles, refrigerators or anything else manufactured. I try not to early adopt anything for this reason, I end up being a paying (not paid) guinea pig. But a true test is how the company responds to the problem.

Every first generation or next generation is going to have kinks or bugs. This is true with guns, automobiles, refrigerators or anything else manufactured. I try not to early adopt anything for this reason, I end up being a paying (not paid) guinea pig. But a true test is how the company responds to the problem.

Alright just for the sake of discussion and not an argument, how do you think Sig is responding to the P320 issue? IOW should it be a mandatory recall or as SIG calls it an "upgrade"? You are a firearms instructor so would you let someone shoot with a P320 that wasn't "upgraded"? There seem to be two basic train of thoughts on this so I'm just asking.

FYI: I have a Frigidaire refrigerator that was pretty much the closest match to the Frigidaire that finally died after 22 years. It's a great refrigerator BUT when it is self defrosting it sometimes sounds like a can of marbles. My dog will actually bark at it on occasion.

Not to pull this thread off topic. I am sure we can pick up the conversation in greater depth in an already discussed topic. However I will say I carry a P320 compact on my person every day. Infact it is on my hip right now. I have not yet modified the trigger for various reasons. I think Sig is handling the recall adequately. Calling it an upgrade is brilliant marketing.

I just picked up a blue label Gen 5 Glock 19 from my local gun store this evening after work. So far I really like what I see, but I haven't put any rounds downrange with it yet. I'll probably take it out and run it through it's paces on Saturday.

If anyone is interested in a range report, let me know. I am switching my carry ammo at this time, also. That means I have a few different hollowpoints I can run through it.

I wanted to get the standard Glock nights sights on it, but the distributor didn't have any in stock. I opted to go with the new AmeriGlo Bold nightsights that FBI selected for their contract.

-- Frank

Love my Gen III"s!!!!

Gen 3 Glock 19. Only mod are Talon Grips.

Why change what was a good formula. I know people don't like the finger grooves, but they fit me perfectly.

Everything I've seen about the Gen 5 tells me Glock actually listened to customers. That's a good thing.

(The G19 grip, for me, is a 2.5 finger grip. My pinkie rides the magazine baseplate. The G19 finger grooves do not fit me. G17's might, it's been a long time since I handled one.)

The Gen 4 had problems when it was new. Glock worked them out. Likewise the G42/43.

I normally rapid fire my EDC, G27 Gen4, one-handed, and appreciate the "finger grooves" which will go away with upcoming Gen5's.

how is the recoil on the 27???? I just got a 19 but the 27 was in the running.

It's noticeable because it's light, but my wife likes shooting it with 2 hands. Small. Feels good in the hand. Have to hold it very tight one-handed for rapid fire but it feels like an extension of my arm. FYI, I also use the magazine extensions for my pinky finger.

Some might need to get used to it but I liked it right away. Well worth trying.

I made it to the range today with my new Gen 5 Glock 19.

I tried three different types of hollow points without any malfunctions whatsoever. As a matter of fact, I put at least 250 to 300 rounds down range and it performed flawlessly. The ammo I have tried so far: Federal HST 124 grain, Winchester SXT +P 124 grain, Remington 115 grain JHP, and of course some WWB for good measure.

Accuracy was AT LEAST as good as my Gen 4 G19. I was a little tired, so I didn't get to test it's accuracy to the best of my abilities. But I will say that I like the changes to the trigger pull. The AmeriGlo Bold sights made it quite a bit easier on my aging eyes to find the front sight on some of my faster drills.

At first, the gun felt a little alien in my hand without the finger grooves that I have become so accustomed to, but I eventually decided I like it better without the grooves. It seemed a little easier and quicker to get a firing grip from the holster.

All in all, I like the changes in the Gen 5 and I think it does improve the handling qualities of this pistol. I have had absolutely ZERO malfunctions so far, with 250-300 rounds through it. I'll probably put a few hundred rounds through it before I clean it and start carrying it as my EDC.

-- Frank

ETA: I didn't even notice the crescent-shaped cutout at the bottom of the front strap. A lot of shooters have complained that it hurt their little finger after prolonged shooting. I was prepared to do a little filing and smoothing but I didn't notice it in the slightest.

Archived