Another "Gene-yus" in Utah. Threatens school with 3D gun.

2smartby1/2

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900029678/utahn-threatened-mass-school-shooting-using-3d-printed-gun-police-say.html

A South Jordan man faces a criminal charge after police say he threatened to commit a mass shooting at a small South Salt Lake school using a gun made from a 3D printer.

Austin James David West, 23, was charged Aug. 9 in South Salt Lake Justice Court with making a threat of violence, a class B misdemeanor.

It is a one shot gun bro.... Not the weapon of choice for mass shootings........

There's no mention in the article what type of 3D-printed gun he intended to use.

"The text messages sent by the suspect reference killing people with a 3D printed gun so the gun could not be traced back to him. The message contained images of what appears to be a male in a video holding a rifle while standing over another male that is lying on the ground," the warrant states.

In fact, other than the 3D printer (which was seized), there's no mention of a gun or anything else seized at all. TBH this guy was looney enough that I think he needed the cops in his life. When people start making threats, looney or not, it makes sense to call the cops. But it seems like this guy thought he could print a whole AR-15 at home. In the meantime, it seems like everyone else involved thought the same thing.

There's no mention in the article what type of 3D-printed gun he intended to use.

"The text messages sent by the suspect reference killing people with a 3D printed gun so the gun could not be traced back to him. The message contained images of what appears to be a male in a video holding a rifle while standing over another male that is lying on the ground," the warrant states.

In fact, other than the 3D printer (which was seized), there's no mention of a gun or anything else seized at all. TBH this guy was looney enough that I think he needed the cops in his life. When people start making threats, looney or not, it makes sense to call the cops. But it seems like this guy thought he could print a whole AR-15 at home. In the meantime, it seems like everyone else involved thought the same thing.

This may sound a little tin foily but when in history has a mass shooter ever been concerned about their gun being traced back to them?

I fully blame the media and the anti-gun zealots for this mass hyperbole hysteria over 3D guns.

This.

I use an industrial grade 3D printer at work. It cost about $70,000. Any gun you could make on it would be far less reliable, safe, and effective than a $450 Glock or a $800 AR-15 that you could buy at any gun shop. I can only imagine what kind of garbage a would-be mass murderer would make at home on a Makerbot.

As usual, the media doesn't understand the technology they write articles about.

As usual, the media doesn't understand the technology they write articles about.

They just don't care about accuracy. Their whole point is to drive the narrative in the direction they'd like (aka "guns are evil and the sky is falling".) I'm sure they're plenty smart enough to understand the technology if they'd like to, but it doesn't fit their agenda.

I use an industrial grade 3D printer at work. It cost about $70,000. Any gun you could make on it would be far less reliable, safe, and effective than a $450 Glock or a $800 AR-15 that you could buy at any gun shop. I can only imagine what kind of garbage a would-be mass murderer would make at home on a Makerbot.

With any luck any gun this genius would have printed at home would have blown up in his hands the first time he fired it.

They just don't care about accuracy. Their whole point is to drive the narrative in the direction they'd like (aka "guns are evil and the sky is falling".) I'm sure they're plenty smart enough to understand the technology if they'd like to, but it doesn't fit their agenda.

Well...I think there are probably *some* of them who can understand the technology and just don't care...or care more about the narrative. And then the president calls them the enemy of the people...and they lose their minds.

Any gun you could make on it would be far less reliable, safe, and effective than a $450 Glock or a $800 AR-15 that you could buy at any gun shop. I can only imagine what kind of garbage a would-be mass murderer would make at home on a Makerbot.

And the blunt truth is that if they can't legally own a firearm they are just going to get a $500 special out of the trunk of a car in an alley, steal one or get one on the dark web, and yes I do understand how cliche 'dark web' sounds by I actually visit dark web markets every so often just to see What the hey!!! is available out of curiosity. It's no challenge to find Glocks complete with a 'pre-loaded' magazine for under $700/bitcoin no questions asked, shipped to your front door.

Plus the fact that most of the files offered for download are actual 3d models for guns that should be subtractive machined out of metal not 3d printed in plastic, and if you have the skills and money to do a subtractive machined firearm you have enough money to just buy an already manufactured firearm.

Archived