TAN Card

Druid

Here's my limited knowledge on TAN cards. The application form MUST be sent in by your employer & the TAN card becomes null & void and must be relinquished if you resign or are terminated. Also, the TAN card only permits you to carry 1hr before your shift, during your shift, and 1hr after your shift ends.

It apprears the state took careful steps to prevent the TAN card from becoming defacto LTC.

Another Illinoscarry member & I will be doing the training class this weekend. I'll be sure to report back.

It is possible to be your own employer, but currently you would have to get the actual licenses, have the required liabillity insurance (not cheap) and must be able to show you are working in the business full time if you are the licensee in charge. The Private investigator route is much more flexible as to carrying but is a much larger investment in time and money. I think we will have LTC before you could get your PI license!

I wonder what their definition of "employer" is?? How strict I mean..

:)

I do know one man who has gone through the trouble of establishing the idea you are thinking about. Frankly if I had that kind of money, I'd be using it to a very free state.

I just found out about TAN cards that you can get in Illinois to carry a concealed firearm legally, but apparently it's only for security personell and private detectives. Does anyone here have one or know more about them?

Is there anything with that card that could help us with concealed carry efforts?

Matt

Yes and No.

Yes, you could say "Why can't private citizens get one? No one has ever been MURDERED by a tan card holder."

You could argue all the merits of concealed carry and then re-write Illinois law to allow ordinary citizens to get a tan card --

but we're going to have to do that anyway.

So ultimately -- No. There is little or no value in a discussion of the tan card, from what I see.

The whole argument from those against passing concealed carry boils down to GUNS are BAD. Therefore, MORE GUNS are VERY BAD. It's not about facts or

real-world experience. Otherwise, we could point to the other 48 states that have some form of concealed carry and the debate would be over.

It's about feelings and emotions. They FEAR guns. Guns are BAD.

I just found out about TAN cards that you can get in Illinois to carry a concealed firearm legally, but apparently it's only for security personell and private detectives. Does anyone here have one or know more about them?

Is there anything with that card that could help us with concealed carry efforts?

Matt

Yes and No.

Yes, you could say "Why can't private citizens get one? No one has ever been MURDERED by a tan card holder."

You could argue all the merits of concealed carry and then re-write Illinois law to allow ordinary citizens to get a tan card --

So ultimately -- No. There is little or no value in a discussion of the tan card, from what I see.

The whole argument from those against passing concealed carry boils down to GUNS are BAD. Therefore, MORE GUNS are VERY BAD. It's not about facts or

real-world experience. Otherwise, we could point to the other 48 states that have some form of concealed carry and the debate would be over.

That's what they would have you believe, and for some of the legislators, it may be true. But for the leaders, that want to continue to be leaders, it's about control. He who has the guns, or can control the guns, is in ultimate control. If (when) push comes to shove, the armed authorities, whether they be Chicago cops or ISP or IL Nat'l Guard, can be mobilized and CONTROL the group of people causing the trouble. It's a lot easier if the "troublemakers" are unarmed.

AB

Matt

Yes and No.

That's what they would have you believe, and for some of the legislators, it may be true. But for the leaders, that want to continue to be leaders, it's about control. He who has the guns, or can control the guns, is in ultimate control. If (when) push comes to shove, the armed authorities, whether they be Chicago cops or ISP or IL Nat'l Guard, can be mobilized and CONTROL the group of people causing the trouble. It's a lot easier if the "troublemakers" are unarmed.

AB

AB, I believe the word for that is "tyrany".

Here's my limited knowledge on TAN cards. The application form MUST be sent in by your employer & the TAN card becomes null & void and must be relinquished if you resign or are terminated. Also, the TAN card only permits you to carry 1hr before your shift, during your shift, and 1hr after your shift ends.

It apprears the state took careful steps to prevent the TAN card from becoming defacto LTC.

Another Illinoscarry member & I will be doing the training class this weekend. I'll be sure to report back.

Essentially, this is correct. I am a licensed private detective and authorize myself to carry. The tan card (actually a "Firearms Control Card") is signed by the licensee of an agency, authorizing an individual working for that agency to work in an armed capacity. The form and fees are sent to the state (IDFPR) who sends the actual card (tan in color) to the agency, who then issues it to the individual. The individual must first have a PERC Card and completed a twenty-hour firearms course. We do this stuff all day long at the academy.

Archived