Gun Rights Policy Conference - GRPC - Sept. 21-23 in Rosemont, IL

Molly B.

At Friday's reception I found Molly and Mr.. B's table occupied by special guest Transplant. The food was good and the people were nice, and it was nice to talk with Alan Gottlieb who was at the reception with his there dog. Who knew?

I was in and out the next couple of days because of other commitments, including my anniversary, but all in all a good time. It seemed just a tad smaller

I left my books behind, I should have given them to Sigma, I heard he cleaned up with the books this year.

All kidding aside, this was my 3rd GPRC and I've always brought home the books. The ones I enjoyed most were the Chicago trials, and of course "the gun saint"

I'm very glad I attended GRPC last weekend. I showed up on Friday at noon to help set up the conference room but we had to wait until the hotel was ready for us. So for the next couple of hours I got to sit in and watch the AMM-Con 2A Media Workshop that was taking place all day.

This was a real bonus because I didn't know about the event before I got there. It was a group of people involved in the 2A community, mostly in media, talking about how to expand their platforms and reach new as well existing segments of the public regarding 2A issues.

Some speakers/conference attendees were people I was familiar with (I'd listened to their podcasts or seen them on the internet) and others were new to me but appeared to well-known by the majority of the group. Speakers I had the opportunity to listen to include :

Drew Berquist - CRTV Contributor, Founder of OpsLens

Cheryl Todd - Gun Freedom Radio Host

Craig Deluz - Director of Legislative & Public Affairs at Firearms Policy Coalition, Vlogger

Friday's setup went well and I got to meet and speak with some cool people. Audio/video engineering and materiaI layout took a group of us into the late afternoon. As an aside I can only imagine how much this conference cost based on the size of the group, the books and materials (8 books along with other magazines and fliers), meals and refreshments, etc.

Saturday began early and went all day. A wide range of topics were discussed including state and federal legal affairs (Attorney David Sigale of Illinois was great to listen to), ITAR issues (Matthew Goldstein delivered some very in-depth information), media and culture perspectives and more. As was reported one speaker announced he was told that Hyatt apologized to attendees from other conferences about the our presence in the hotel. Not shocking, being that it's Chicagoland and all. Hearts and minds.

After the conference there was a well attended reception where we all had the opportunity to meet one another and wind down. I spoke with people who had come in from all over the country to attend. I broke bread with other IllinoisCarry members as well as others who traveled from Washington state and Florida.

I did not get to attend on Sunday so I missed some good speakers and topics.

What I took away from the weekend was that being from northeast Illinois it is easy to forget how different it is here from a lot of other regions. We all have to be involved in the same effort to keep the rights we have and win back others we have lost. This midterm election might be brutal. We have good and competent people working with us and on our behalf but I believe they don't have enough support from the average 2A supporter. I think we need to join and donate to our local and national organizations now. The undertaking of the legislative efforts these groups are engaged in to defend of our rights is reason enough for us to contribute and get involved. This wasn't all a revelation brought on by the conference but seeing the faces of the people who are literally out there in the spotlight, making the arguments in the courts, and risking their own names and fortunes did reinforce the reality of it all for me.

Thanks to those who put this together and to those who attended. Thanks most of all to Molly B and the other IllinoisCarry members I spent time with. I look forward to speaking with you all again. I will try to make it to Phoenix in 2019.

Archived