Renewal Process guidelines.

lilguy

Here's what the Firearms Concealed Carry Act says about License Renewal:

Sec. 50. License renewal. Applications for renewal of a license shall be made to the Department. A license shall be renewed for a period of 5 years upon receipt of a completed renewal application, completion of 3 hours of training required under Section 75 of this Act, payment of the applicable renewal fee, and completion of an investigation under Section 35 of this Act. The renewal application shall contain the information required in Section 30 of this Act, except that the applicant need not resubmit a full set of fingerprints.

JCAR's administrative rules say this is the process for renewal:

Section 1231.120 Renewal

a) All documentation required pursuant to Section 50 of the Act shall be submitted to the Department electronically by uploading it as an attachment to the FCCL renewal application.

B) FCCL renewal applicants may submit a full set of fingerprints to the Department in an electronic format using a Live Scan vendor licensed by the Department of Financial and Professional Regulation or a law enforcement agency registered by the Department if the renewal applicant did not do so at the time of his or her original FCCL application.

1) Renewal fingerprints must comply with the provisions set forth in Section 1231.60.

2) FCCL renewal applicants who submitted fingerprints at the time of their original FCCL application need not submit additional sets of fingerprints upon renewal.

c) The Department shall grant or deny an FCCL renewal application no later than 90 days after receipt of a completed application, except that the Department is granted by Section 30(B)(8) of the Act 30 days in addition to the 90 days if the applicant has not previously submitted a full set of fingerprints in electronic format.

This is what is required for the 3-hour renewal course to be taught by certified instructors:

e) A 3 hour licensure renewal course must, at a minimum, cover the following topics:

1) Two hours to cover:

A) any updates to Illinois or federal firearms laws governing concealed carry in Illinois;

B) updates in the Criminal Code Sections listed in Section 1231.10; and

C) appropriate and lawful interaction with law enforcement while transporting or carrying a concealed firearm; and

2) One hour of instruction to include a live fire qualification with a concealable firearm using a B-27 silhouette target consisting of a minimum of 30 rounds and 10 rounds from a distance of 5 yards, 10 rounds from a distance of 7 yards and 10 rounds from a distance of 10 yards.

I hope this helps. Many instructors are beginning to look at the requirements for renewal courses now and should be offering them within the next year. I have a feeling we may be hearing more from ISP about the procedures and requirements in the future.

-- Frank

Will they accept a renewal application months prior to our current license expiration dates so we don't hit a period where our present license has expired and we're waiting for our new one?

I'm into my forth year carrring, March 2014. Has the State of Illinois established guidelines for the renewal

Process?

If you got your license in March 2014, this is April 2017, I know I went to public school and all, but if I understand the new math, that is 3 years and 1 month.

I'm into my forth year carrring, March 2014. Has the State of Illinois established guidelines for the renewal

Process?

If you got your license in March 2014, this is April 2017, I know I went to public school and all, but if I understand the new math, that is 3 years and 1 month.

i was thinking the same thing,had to check my math.i do understand his thinking,this renual process might be a ork and take two years.

Will they accept a renewal application months prior to our current license expiration dates so we don't hit a period where our present license has expired and we're waiting for our new one?

I don't know how to do the quote thing. I seem to remember reading that your present CCL will be good during the renewal process.

I don't know how to do the quote thing. I seem to remember reading that your present CCL will be good during the renewal process.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=3497&ChapterID=39

... (c ) A license is invalid upon expiration of the license, unless the licensee has submitted an application to renew the license, and the applicant is otherwise eligible to possess a license under this Act....

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=3497&ChapterID=39

... (c ) A license is invalid upon expiration of the license, unless the licensee has submitted an application to renew the license, and the applicant is otherwise eligible to possess a license under this Act....

Thank you!

Process?

Here's some even newer math. If it's been 3 years and 1 month since issuance, you ARE now into your fourth year!

Process?

Well, if it anytime after the third anniversary of receiving his license, that would make this his fourth year, as he stated. Yes, that does mean he has close to two years left before he needs to renew (the fourth and fifth years).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

15-16 months away from renewals. Have any instructors been notified of what the 3-hour refresher course will be and does anyone have any idea of pricing? And what will be the renewal fee for the privilege of carrying?

I've received no contact from the ISP. Frank previously posted the guidelines for the refresher course. I'm going to try to hold prices for the renewal around $30 for the class. The state will charge their $150 plus $3 convenience fee.

15-16 months away from renewals. Have any instructors been notified of what the 3-hour refresher course will be and does anyone have any idea of pricing? And what will be the renewal fee for the privilege of carrying?

I've received no contact from the ISP. Frank previously posted the guidelines for the refresher course. I'm going to try to hold prices for the renewal around $30 for the class. The state will charge their $150 plus $3 convenience fee.

Thanks. Because I'm lazy, I failed to actually read through the thread for Franks answer :) :) :)

Archived