Chicago Firearm Registration Questions

NickyD

I'm not sure where to post these questions, but they are in regards to registering firearms in Chicago. I'll probably call the Chicago gun desk to ask these questions as well, but I figure I'll seek some advice here first.

1) The ordinance gives a 90 day grace period for those owning unregistered firearms prior to July 12th to obtain a CFP and register their firearms. However, what if I purchased a handgun after July 12th, but kept it out of the city limits? How do I legally register a post-July 12 firearm?

2) I'm not familiar with the Chicago firearm registration process, so hopefully those that have done this with long gun registrations can chime in. On the registration form it states that: "Note: A person shall file an annual registration report with the Superintendent on a form...." Do I have to pay an additional fee and where do I get this "Registration Report" form?

3) Anyone have the Chicago gun desk number?

Thanks much,

Nick

I'm not sure where to post these questions, but they are in regards to registering firearms in Chicago. I'll probably call the Chicago gun desk to ask these questions as well, but I figure I'll seek some advice here first.

1) The ordinance gives a 90 day grace period for those owning unregistered firearms prior to July 12th to obtain a CFP and register their firearms. However, what if I purchased a handgun after July 12th, but kept it out of the city limits? How do I legally register a post-July 12 firearm?

2) I'm not familiar with the Chicago firearm registration process, so hopefully those that have done this with long gun registrations can chime in. On the registration form it states that: "Note: A person shall file an annual registration report with the Superintendent on a form...." Do I have to pay an additional fee and where do I get this "Registration Report" form?

3) Anyone have the Chicago gun desk number?

Thanks much,

Nick

The annual report hasn't been defined yet. I'm not sure, but I don't think a fee will be involved. It will probably be a form mailed to you showing each firearm you have registered requiring you to respond with the disposition of each firearm. Note that you are required to notify the CPD if you sell a firearm, permanently remove it from the city, or have it stolen. This form might be an easy way for folks to incriminate themselves if they've neglected to do that.

Your question is a very good one. In the past (prior to his ordinance) the CPD gun desk informed me that I could register a firearm previously owned but stored outside the city if I included a note indicating that with the registration.

The current rules and regulations state this with respect to the 90-day grace period:

5.2 An applicant who submits an application for a registration certificate for a firearm owned by the applicant prior July 12, 2010 shall submit evidence that the firearm was owned by the applicant prior to July 12, 2010. Such evidence may include, but is not limited to, a receipt showing the date the firearm was purchased, or an affidavit in which the applicant attests that the applicant owned the firearm prior to July 12, 2010.

In my opinion (and I am not a lawyer) this regulation does not apply to you. This is relevant to the 90-day grace period in which residents who own one or more firearms prior to July 12, can register them all at once within the 90-day grace period. Otherwise, they are bound by the 1-handgun/month rule. I believe you can register that gun under the 1-handgun/month rule after obtaining your CFP. Include with the registration a note indicating that you have owned this firearm kept this firearm outside city limits. This should get you past the 5-day window between purchase and registration that they have imposed.

The gun desk number is 312-745-5164. I have found the folks there to be helpful and friendly, for the most part. However, they are not always correct. Also, they have in the past allowed leeway that the actual regulations did not.

I called the CPD gun desk, the guy said it doesn't matter when I purchased the firearm and that I only need to register the firearm when I bring it within city limits. He said that the 5-day registration period would not apply since it was not purchased in the city.

When the time comes to register, I think I'll still submit a note with my registration stating the gun was stored outside the city limits.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Nick

Archived