Photo

Aimpoint Red Dots, What's YOUR opinion?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Buzzard

• Members
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:35 AM

I want to buy a nice red dot and before I plunk down my money, I want to get some opinions. I was under the impression that Aimpoint gear was pretty good stuff. Then I read this opinion on Youtube from someone claiming to once be a serviceman. So I'm giving his testimony some weight.

OK, I know that you can pick ANY one item out there on the market and you'll find at least one person that will swear that it's a worthless piece of junk not deserving of your hard earned dollars. But I read this guy's opinion and I want to know if anyone here agrees. I copied this quote from Youtube and I didn't even look at the signature. So the chance that it's someone from here on IC is slim. But if you recognize it as YOUR written opinion - I stand by what I said. I didn't even look at the name.

He writes:

"When I was in the Army, Aimpoints would break every time I went to the range. The knobs would fall off and all kinds of stuff. They would lose their zero, etc. most people that use the Aimpoints are Privates, as the real combat vets use EOTECH and ACOG. Why dudes like Buck Yeager, that has been over there, endorse Aimpoint above all strikes me as strange. There are a lot of things that are just as durable, and a lot faster, without the Tube effect. Look at what the real Spetznaz are using. And the entire point of these optics is to NOT have that CO-WITNESS to squeeze off the faster shot when you have all the **** on."

#2 TRJ

Joyful Stoic

• Supporting Members Team
  • 6,785 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:00 AM

I can only speak to my experience. I've run my PRO through some classes in some really bad weather. Haven't changed a battery yet. Still awesome. Just heavy.
My H1 hasn't seen much action since it's on a high dollar collectable gun, but it's given me no reason to doubt it.
The big perk of an Aimpoint is the ability to leave it powered up for years.

I have run a Sig Romeo4 with no issues. Battery life was a concern and turning it on was difficult to do in a hurry.
I have a primary arms T1 clone on a carbine that runs great. Cheaper and easier to turn on than Romeo4.

I also had a Bushnell holosight, same exact thing less the roll cage as a eotech. I took it off because of poi shift alleged to happen. I was p***** that the guys who built it lied to our military and put our kids in harms way.

Edited by TRJ, 14 November 2017 - 05:09 AM.

#3 Smallbore

• Members
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:34 AM

Unless you are old with bad eye why use a crutch? You still need a good consistent cheek weld for any accuracy.

#4 Windermere

Bacon Junkie

• 1,204 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:49 AM

I run a t1. It hasn't been through combat or anything lol but it runs great no matter what the weather. I make sure to make range trips in poor weather conditions. It has run flawlessly.

I'm pretty sure i have not used it anywhere close to the limits they are designed to withstand. The reason I bought it is because of their reputation for reliability. I watched a video online that takes you inside their factory and show you the manufacturing process. Their work ethic and attention to detail is impeccable.

Friends can't believe I paid 600 bucks for it but the quality is there. When you line it up next to a holosun or some clone type, the difference in sight picture is night and day. I'm talking CRISP.

I haven't turned it off since I got it about two years ago and it's still running strong.
"Always remember, your ability to shoot and have a firearm makes it so that you are not subjected to the whims of other people without your permission. So, in other words, if you don't want to get raped, robbed, pillaged, or plundered... get a gun."
-Clint Smith

#5 AlphaKoncepts aka CGS

Firearm Instructor and Gun Rights Activist

• Members
  • 7,931 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:01 AM

I bought a nice aimpoint knockoff by Vortex. Honestly for a civilian it is more than adequate. The only thing I would say is I prefer a 1 MOA dot over the 2 MOA in my vortex strikefire. I have this mounted on my AR Pistol. When I say knockopff that's not say it's some cheap chinese counterfeit junk - it's not.

Aimpoint gets great reviews. I have vet friends who swear by them. It's just outside my budget. 

-Thomas

Member, ISRA; Life Member, NRA; NRA Certified Instructor, AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor
www.alphakoncepts.com  www.gunrights4illinois.com  @AlphaKoncepts

#6 AlphaKoncepts aka CGS

Firearm Instructor and Gun Rights Activist

• Members
  • 7,931 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:02 AM

Unless you are old with bad eye why use a crutch? You still need a good consistent cheek weld for any accuracy.

Speed. Rapid target acquisition. both eyes open. Indoors or CQB applications.

-Thomas

Member, ISRA; Life Member, NRA; NRA Certified Instructor, AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor
www.alphakoncepts.com  www.gunrights4illinois.com  @AlphaKoncepts

#7 smokehouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:19 AM

I've had, and used many red dots...In the high-rent category I've used Aimpoint and EOTech (I've never used anthing from Trijicon)

I guess I don't "see" the difference (pun intended). At this point, I've sold off all of my high rent stuff and now run cheap-o's. I have a cheapest of the cheap Walther PS22 on my S&W M&P 15-22, a Primary Arms Micro gen 2 on my 16" AR, and a Burris FastFire III on my S&W 627 revolver.

I've beat that cheap Walther within an inch of its life, I've run that 15-22 like a cheap date since 2011 and not one time did it cause me a single problem, not once. My only complaint is that it goes through one battery a season. As a matter of fact, it was that cheap junk heap that drove me to look into cheaper sight solutions.

The Primary Arms micro has also been rock solid since I got it back in 2014...not a single problem and still running off the initial battery. If you want to see how rotten you can be to PA stuff, look up AK Operators Union and see what evil things that guy has done to them.

Lastly, I beat the living heck out of a Ultradot riding on top of a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 mag...not a single burp or a fart. $160 RDS...not one issue. Bought that dot in 2009...still have it to this day, still works fine.

I haven't had much time with that Burris yet...just got it a few weeks ago...

I guess my point is this, I don't understand how a simple RDS should cost as much as some do. I know I see it all of the time where people say "Well...I wouldn't trust my life bla, bla,bla", but not once have my cheap RDS failed me...not once. People will nit-pick how they think a dot looks, or some silliness about color, but I've yet to see anything that is a fatal functional issue with a model that costs less than $200.

Edited by smokehouse, 14 November 2017 - 08:32 AM.

#8 AFigmentOfYourImagination

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:20 AM

I love my Aimpoint PRO. I don't remember where you are located but if we can work out a day and time I'm willing to meet you at the range so you can try it out yourself.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

#9 cybermgk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:30 AM

I bought a nice aimpoint knockoff by Vortex. Honestly for a civilian it is more than adequate. The only thing I would say is I prefer a 1 MOA dot over the 2 MOA in my vortex strikefire. I have this mounted on my AR Pistol. When I say knockopff that's not say it's some cheap chinese counterfeit junk - it's not.

Aimpoint gets great reviews. I have vet friends who swear by them. It's just outside my budget. 

I went with a Vortex Sparc II.  Vortex makes a quality optic.

ISRA Member

NRA Member

U.S.A.F Veteran

Single Father of 2

#10 cybermgk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:32 AM

And all the above at night as well.

ISRA Member

NRA Member

U.S.A.F Veteran

Single Father of 2

#11 skinnyb82

• Members
  • 6,264 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:35 AM

I've been pondering buying a CompM4 lately. Getting rid of my 512 and picking up an Aimpoint that doesn't have reticle jitter. I've never owned an Aimpoint but I do own the Primary Arms AA RDS (it's a CompM4 clone) and it's really nice. The only thing stopping me from selling my EOTech is I love the both eyes open shooting, the eye relief, and the fact that I don't have to get a special spacer for the RDS mount so that I can mount a magnifier behind it. The only real alternative to an Aimpoint (besides a Trijicon, but they don't sell full size closed tube RDS) is an Elcan, which is not in my wheelhouse at this time. Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
NRA Member
SAF Member
C&R License Holder

#12 DD123

Freedom Lover

• 8,019 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:49 AM

Add the Trijicon MRO to your list of potential options.  I think Vortex also has an Eotech-like optic that they're selling that's in that same Eotech price range....it's received great reviews thus far.  

Best bet is to find them and try them before buying.  Or next best thing is find youtube reviews from people that know what they're talking about, and see which one appears best suited for your needs.  

Gun gear for the most part seems to be extremely subjective when it shouldn't be.  It either works or it doesn't.  Everyone is pretty uniform when it comes to garbage gear, where everyone generally has the same opinion, which would carry over into the "good" gear but doesn't.  

I think part of why the subjectivity with gear exists is people tend to affix a "value" to something based on it's price, so if something is expensive and not suited to their particular use, they'll defend it to the death, and the inverse is true for those who won't spend a bunch of money on an optic and then claim their $50 chinese knockoff is just as good as a $500 Aimpoint.  

I own a Sparc II from Vortex.  It's a good little red dot for it's price, but it's not even comparable to the Trijicon MRO I owned.  Come up with a price range, find the options that exist in that price range, then see if you can find people that own one, or a store that has display models to check out in person, and if you can't, then check out youtube reviews.  Nothing at all wrong with a Sparc II, but it's nowhere near the same quality as an Aimpoint.  

Force and intimidation are the tools of tyrants.  - Ron Paul

If Democrats quit shooting people, "gun violence" would go down by 80%.......

Taxation is theft

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

#13 HeavyDuty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:51 AM

I want to buy a nice red dot and before I plunk down my money, I want to get some opinions. I was under the impression that Aimpoint gear was pretty good stuff. Then I read this opinion on Youtube from someone claiming to once be a serviceman. So I'm giving his testimony some weight.

OK, I know that you can pick ANY one item out there on the market and you'll find at least one person that will swear that it's a worthless piece of junk not deserving of your hard earned dollars. But I read this guy's opinion and I want to know if anyone here agrees. I copied this quote from Youtube and I didn't even look at the signature. So the chance that it's someone from here on IC is slim. But if you recognize it as YOUR written opinion - I stand by what I said. I didn't even look at the name.

He writes:

"When I was in the Army, Aimpoints would break every time I went to the range. The knobs would fall off and all kinds of stuff. They would lose their zero, etc. most people that use the Aimpoints are Privates, as the real combat vets use EOTECH and ACOG. Why dudes like Buck Yeager, that has been over there, endorse Aimpoint above all strikes me as strange. There are a lot of things that are just as durable, and a lot faster, without the Tube effect. Look at what the real Spetznaz are using. And the entire point of these optics is to NOT have that CO-WITNESS to squeeze off the faster shot when you have all the **** on."

I would be inclined to ignore that comment - EOTechs are proven to be unreliable, to the point that they were sued. I suspect stolen valor...

#14 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• 12,501 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:44 AM

I am happy with my Eotech. It works well for me and I really like the 1 MOA dot.

It works well for CQB and Im good out to 200 yards with it.

To each his own I guess.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#15 TRJ

Joyful Stoic

• 6,785 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:44 AM

And all the above at night as well.

And the red dot doesn't really require a cheek weld. 

#16 BradS

• Members
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:03 PM

I bought my CompM4 from SWFA.com . they had some sort of deal going on.

Then I bought a mount for it directly from LaRue.

There are so many counterfeit and AirSoft level of knock offs out there that I felt comfortable frim buying from a legit website like SWFA.com

I have a Vortex that is either 1 to 4 power or 1 to 6 power with an illuminated reticle.

Just throwing that out there since that and other variable power ilkuminated reticle scopes might be a cheaper option than buying a CompM4.

I have never taken my CompM4 into combat either.
my target stands classified thread:

http://illinoiscarry...topic=40920&hl=

#17 BradS

• Members
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:14 PM

Another possible option is a C-more which has been used gor at least 20 years now for USPSA Open division pistols:

trubor.gif

They also make a "railway" model which would clamp onto a picatinny rail:

717503.jpg

Edited by BradS, 14 November 2017 - 03:15 PM.

#18 luckydawg13

• Members
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:40 AM

Not a fan of Red Dot's I had one it was ok at 50 yards or less but past the not so much at 100 yards the dot would cover my 8" gong
I would rather have a 2x7 scope on my rifle just my 2 cents

Kid's that Hunt and Fish don't Mug old Ladies 

#19 skinnyb82

• Members
  • 6,264 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:57 AM

Not a fan of Red Dot's I had one it was ok at 50 yards or less but past the not so much at 100 yards the dot would cover my 8" gongI would rather have a 2x7 scope on my rifle just my 2 cents

I've got one of those Bushnell 1-4x24mm BTR-1 scopes with a magnification throw lever, illuminated horseshoe reticle (mildot). It's FFP, snagged it for around $150 after rebate last year IIRC. I love low magnification glass with a lot of eye relief. Had my eye on a Leupold VX-R 1-x24mm with the Firedot SPR reticle (have a VX-R Patrol 3-9x that I love) and the Vortex Strike Eagles that are 1-6x. Fallen in love with mildot glass.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

NRA Member
SAF Member
C&R License Holder

#20 cybermgk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:20 AM

Not a fan of Red Dot's I had one it was ok at 50 yards or less but past the not so much at 100 yards the dot would cover my 8" gong
I would rather have a 2x7 scope on my rifle just my 2 cents

Why did you get an 8 MOA red dot?  I don't even think anyone makes an 8 MOA red dot.  a 1 MOA red dot should have only covered 1/8 of your 8" gong. a 2 MOA RD, 1/4.  Sorry, your statement seems a tad hyperbolic.

ISRA Member

NRA Member

U.S.A.F Veteran

Single Father of 2

#21 Bitter Clinger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:23 AM

Here's another +1 for the Vortex Sparc. It's a great optic for the price and has worked well for me for many years. I've also heard great things about Aimpoint and I don't think you can go wrong with one of those.

Stay away from anything EOTech IMO. I had one and even though it appeared well made from the outside, it was complete junk. The batteries would drain to stone cold dead in less than 20 days when the thing was turned OFF. I had to take the batteries out of it when not in use otherwise it would completely drain them. It also would not hold zero. Both of those issues made in completely useless except for maybe a paperweight.

#22 DD123

Freedom Lover

• 8,019 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:58 AM

Here's another +1 for the Vortex Sparc. It's a great optic for the price and has worked well for me for many years. I've also heard great things about Aimpoint and I don't think you can go wrong with one of those.

Stay away from anything EOTech IMO. I had one and even though it appeared well made from the outside, it was complete junk. The batteries would drain to stone cold dead in less than 20 days when the thing was turned OFF. I had to take the batteries out of it when not in use otherwise it would completely drain them. It also would not hold zero. Both of those issues made in completely useless except for maybe a paperweight.

I had the exact opposite experience with the Eotech I had before sending it in for a refund.  Mine stayed zero'd perfectly, however when it was cold out, the zero would change by a few inches at 50 yards.  

As far as the battery went, I would say it wasn't any worse on batteries than any flashlight I own.  The one I had took two AA batteries and over 2 years I only changed them once towards the end of those two years.  

Taxation is theft

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

#23 smokehouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:36 AM

I had the exact opposite experience with the Eotech I had before sending it in for a refund.  Mine stayed zero'd perfectly, however when it was cold out, the zero would change by a few inches at 50 yards.  

As far as the battery went, I would say it wasn't any worse on batteries than any flashlight I own.  The one I had took two AA batteries and over 2 years I only changed them once towards the end of those two years.  

I'll say that I didn't have any problems with mine either. I had a 512 and an EXPS 2-0...neither gave me a lick of grief. I didn't spend a ton of time i the cold with eh 512, but I did with the EXPS and it never gave me issues out to 100 yds.

I sold both of them off before that refund deal began...so I never got in on that. My buddy bought my 512 and to this day, it works just fine.

#24 WitchDoctor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:24 PM

I've been pondering buying a CompM4 lately. Getting rid of my 512 and picking up an Aimpoint that doesn't have reticle jitter. I've never owned an Aimpoint but I do own the Primary Arms AA RDS (it's a CompM4 clone) and it's really nice. The only thing stopping me from selling my EOTech is I love the both eyes open shooting, the eye relief, and the fact that I don't have to get a special spacer for the RDS mount so that I can mount a magnifier behind it. The only real alternative to an Aimpoint (besides a Trijicon, but they don't sell full size closed tube RDS) is an Elcan, which is not in my wheelhouse at this time. Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Sir, hope you are well. I carried the El-Can Spectre on my M4, it was the biggest most expensive piece of junk I ever used. It's adjustments were done by small levers that would get jammed with sand rendering it unusable. You could still shoot it, you just needed to adjust in your head for windage and distance.
Vortex and Trijicon are making some solid ACOG's right now, some with illumination. Look at their web pages.
I run an Aimpoint T2 Micro with a Aimpoint 3x magnifier on top of LaRue mounts on my Barrett Rec 7. It is a joy!
Be well sir!

ISRA Member

NRA Life Member

3/504 P.I.R Blue Devil

25 years US Army

Proud Parent to a Wonderful Kid...

Tired of Chicago B.S.

#25 yurimodin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:16 PM

shifting zero in cold weather sounds like a mount issue of some kind.....I could be wrong though.

#26 DD123

Freedom Lover

• 8,019 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:19 PM

shifting zero in cold weather sounds like a mount issue of some kind.....I could be wrong though.

Zero shift in cold weather was one of the reasons for the recall.  

Taxation is theft

#27 BigBL87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:15 PM

Just my personal opinion, but I think most people don't use their rifle hard enough or often enough that they would see a difference between an EOTech/Aimpoint and Vortex/Primary Arms/Holosun.

That isn't to say that the more expensive brands are not better in some ways, as I'm sure they are although I'm not enough of an expert.  If money were no object and I was going to a warzone, I'd go with the better reputation of Aimpoint/EOTech.  But the reality is I'm not, and with Primary Arms having a model with a 50,000 hour battery life now, I find it hard to justify paying nearly double the price for an Aimpoint Micro.  Again, just my personal opinion, and I do admittedly have the more limited firearm/accessory budget such that I look hard at value for your dollar.

#28 Jam77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:41 PM

My fav out of my optics is by far the acog. I also have a eotech and a vortex sparc ar. The eotech is my least favorite.

Edited by Jam77, 15 November 2017 - 08:43 PM.

#29 BradS

• Members
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:05 PM

My fav out of my optics is by far the acog. I also have a eotech and a vortex sparc ar. The eotech is my least favorite.

I had two for real legit Trijicon ACOGs.

The first was an ECOS model with the little red dot riding piggy back on top of the main ACOG body.

I want to say that was right around $1,200.... new.

The other one I bought was used off the Brian Enos forums classifieds.

I want to say it was like $700 to $800...used.

The sad thing about it is that I never had a chance to try close in targets using the Bindon Aiming Concept (BAC) with both eyes open. I sold them off to pay off a credit card...figured a credit check would used for my background at my current job.

Anywhooo.... my point being is you could probably buy 2 maybe even 3 new Aimpoints for the price of one new ACOG.

I currently have an Elcan M145 that I have never mounted.

It is a weird set up with the scope adjustments built into the scope base.

It absolutely blows-my mind that the poster above had such bad luck with an Elcan Spectre model. Probably through MidwayUSA that is like a $2,500 scope.

Edited by BradS, 16 November 2017 - 02:11 PM.

#30 Mustang31

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:34 PM

As you can see OP, everyone has a personal opinion when it comes to optics. When you get into AR's You will find this pretty much standard for optics, triggers, grips, keymod vs Mlok vs M1913 pic, etc. you will find that you will develop your own opinions as well. I say go Aimpoint. Build another rifle and slap an EoTech on it. Then build another one and put a low powered variable optic on it. Then build another for an ACOG. That's what I do...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

jagt48, Glock43